1941 marked the introduction of Chrysler's distinctive 'Town and Country Car', a new concept in estate vehicles. The name was coined by Paul Hafer of the Boyerton Body Works, who observed that the front looked 'Town' while the rear appeared 'Country.'
Built on March 14, 1941, and originally owned by Warner Bros. Studio, the car has appeared in several 'Our Gang' and Charlie Chaplin movies. It carried an original price tag of $1475, FOB Detroit. Over the years, this handsome station wagon has been awarded First in Class at Pebble Beach and received the annual preservation award of the Walter P. Chrysler Club.
Serial number 7699598 (Body number 1170) has a 121.5 inch wheelbase, 112-Horsepower six-cylinder 'Spitfire' engine (with Fluid Drive 'Vacumatic' transmission) and carried a $1475 price tag, F.O.B. Detroit.
It was built 14 March 1941 and delivered to Alhambra, California. Original owned by Warner Brothers Studios, it appears in several Our Gang and Charlie Chan movies.
The Town & Country 'station wagon' was manufactured for 1941 and 1942 only; after World War II, convertibles, sedans and hardtops were manufactured instead. Of the 797 nine-passenger station wagons built in 1941, barely a handful or two survive.
The current owner spent seven years acquiring parts and employed many skilled craftsmen to return the car to its original splendor. It has been displayed in the United States, Germany and England.Also photographed at :