When 250 GT production began in 1954, a variety of body styles, engines, and coachbuilders were used. Ferrari provided a chassis and an engine, the coachbuilders provided the body and the styling.
There are three Ferrari 250GT Speciale with Pinin Farina-designed coachwork built for European Royalty. The first two were built for Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands and Princess Liliane de Rethy of Belgium and were shown together at Pebble Beach in 2001. The third, this car with chassis number 0853, was built for Prince Bertil of Sweden in 1958 who kept the car in the south of France. After three years the Prince moved the car to Paris and put it away and there it stayed for over 40 years. After 3 European owners it was brought to the United States in 2009 to join the Ferrari collection of its current owner. During its Paris sojourn the car had its engine swapped with a standard 250 GT from chassis 1301. Having subsequently bought this car as well, the current owner has returned the two engines to their proper chassis.Also photographed at :