The 166 MM Touring Barchetta, a Ferrari masterpiece, still increase pulse rates fifty-five years later. It is the first Ferrari sports car; all previous cars were strictly for racing. Craftsmen welded a tubular frame with a 2,200 mm wheelbase to hand-formed body panels. Beneath the hood resides a Colombo designed 1,995 cc 60-degree V-12, with a 10:1 compression ratio and triple Weber carburetors, producing 140 horsepower at 6,600 rpm's. The front suspension features independent A-arms on a single transverse leaf trailing arms. The interior has hand stitched leather upholstery and trim.
The 166 MM was arguably the world's fastest sports car. In the heyday, it recorded more than eighty overall or class victories between 1948 and 1953.
This car, chassis #0050M, was purchased by Porfirio Rusirosa to race at the 24 Hours of LeMans, in 1950. After running as high as eighth, it was forced out in the eighth hour by a clutch failure. The Barchetta was traded back to the factory in 1953. It was purchased by Bill Devin of Fontana, California. In 1975, three Californians later, the current owner purchased it. It has been refinished and the engine rebuilt, otherwise it remains the magnificent example of the gentleman's sports racer that departed the factory in 1953.Also photographed at :