The Locomobile Model 48 was introduced in 1911 and remained in production until 1929. During that time, the model saw only a few changes. The first owner of this example was Albert M. Barnes, a partner in the New York investment firm of Dillon, Read, & Company. He ordered the car with a factory Sportif Locomobile body; a four-passenger phaeton designed by J. Frank de Causse. The car was specified with brass trim, grey paint, and balloon tires on buffalo wire wheels. Though four-wheel brakes were available, Mr. Barnes ordered his vehicle with just rear wheel brakes. Since Mr. Barnes planned on driving the car only in fair weather, the car was not given windshield wipers.
Mr. Barnes Locomobile sold for $9,900. After Mr. Barnes passing 29 years later, the car was still occupying space in his carriage house at Spruce Hill Farm in Mendham, New Jersey. The car was acquired from the Barnes estate by Morristown, New Jersey, Lincoln-Mercury dealer Tom Wiss. It remained largely in storage as it passed through the hands of its next three East Coast owners, eventually coming into he car of David Schultz in 1989.
This example is the first pre-1925 Locomoible to be recognized as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America and was awarded top honors in the Prewar Preservation class at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 2002.
The current owner acquired the car in 2004. The car has continued to be shown, earning awards for Best Original Unrestored Car at the Hilton Head and Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance and Best in Class at the Keeneland Concours.
The car has under 25,000 miles. The wheels have been refinished in black, their original color. The Locomobile wears the same paint, black leather upholstery, and tan cloth top with which it was original delivered. The only major parts replaced since new are the clutch and the tires.Also photographed at :