This 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K Autobahn Kurier is an excellent example of the use of aerodynamics during the 1930s and 1940s. The name 'Autobahn-Kurier' means 'Streamline Limousine'. These body styles were produced in limited numbers with less than ten examples being constructed. It was a body style offered by the Sindelfingen factory and was first seen on the 1935 Mercedes-Benz 500K chassis.
There were two chassis lengths available, either 3290mm or 2980mm. The suspension is comprised of double wishbones in the front with coil springs, and a rear swing axle with dual coil springs and additional compensating spring. Between 1936 and 1940, Mercedes-Benz produced just 419 examples of the 540Ks. The work was completed in their Sindelfingen coachbuilding facility to suit the newly constructed Autobahn roadway. Four Autobahn-Kurier were built on the 500K chassis and two were built on the 540K chassis.
This Autobahn-Kurier was on display at the 2006 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, where it made its restoration debut. The restoration work was performed by Paul Russell Company. The legacy of this car has some interesting stories - it was once believed that this was a gift from Hitler to an eye surgeon. The myth goes, the surgeon had saved the eyesight of one of Hitler's commanders. What really happened was this car was ordered by a Spanish eye specialist named Ignacio Barraquer after having seen an identical version of the car on display at the 1938 Paris Motor Show. This car is the last of the six Autobahn Kuriers produced. it was driven to Gibraltar from Germany where it was delivered to the new owner on November 1st of 1938. After Barraquer's death, the car remained in the family until 2004.
It was loaned to the Antic Car Club in Catalina and put on display in Barcelona. The current owner purchased the car in 2004.Also photographed at :