This 1910 Mitchell Model S was produced by the Mitchell Motor Car Company of Racine, Wisconsin. They produced vehicles from 1903 through 1923. Their earliest vehicles were small, single-cylinder machines that were steering by a lever instead of a conventional steering wheel. By 1905, the company was building larger, multi-cylinder vehicles. The success of the company during its early years was largely due to its racing endeavors. From 1907 to 1911, Mitchell automobiles were successfully raced in local and national competitions and endurance runs.
By 1910, the Mitchell Company was offering a variety of models. The Model S was the largest and most powerful vehicle offered. Powered by a six-cylinder, 50 horsepower engine, the Model S sold new for $3,500, almost six times the price of a new Model T Ford. Other sources listed the 1910 Mitchell Model S Touring sold for $2,000 F.O. B. Racine, Wisconsin. The sales brochure also listed the price of $2,150 F. O. B. San Francisco, California, and included Rushmore headlights and Prestolite gas tank.
The vehicle rides on a 130-inch wheelbase powered by a 50 horsepower six-cylinder engine with a change-gear, selective, three speeds forward and reverse transmission. This was the largest horsepower engine Mitchell ever produced.
The engine consisted of adjustable headlight brackets, dash and tail oil lamps, horn and a complete set of tools, including jack.
This example was discovered in unrestored condition during the 1950's by Winthrop Rockefeller. It was restored and became part of the famous Rockefeller Collection in Arkansas until the 1970's when it was purchased by the late Bill Harrah and added to his 2,000 vehicle collection in Reno, Nevada. When the Harrah collection was sold during the 1980's, the Mitchell was purchased by Ralph Engelstad and became part of the Imperial Palace Collection in Las Vegas, Nevada before being sold to its current owner.Also photographed at :