This 1955 Kurtis 500SX was the fourth 'SX' manufactured. The first six cars, built as rollers not kits, carried an 'SX' designation. The remaining few 'kits' manufactured probably were Xs. This example was 'reportedly' the only LWB model produced.
In late 1955, this car was purchased from Frank Kurtis (Kurtis Kraft) by Joe Zidar of Denver, CO, and it was known as the 'Zidar Special.' The car was raced primarily on the West Coast at such tracks as Riverside, Pomona, Laguna Seca, and as far East as Las Vegas.
The aluminum-bodied car is powered by a 321 cubic-inch V8 engine and uses Hilborn mechanical fuel injection. The on-board hand pump pressurizes the fuel tank and primes the injection system. The wheels are a pin drive, Rudge style knock-off, made of magnesium and were manufactured by Halibrand. The brakes are four-wheel disc plus one hydraulically operated disc emergency brake. Solid axle front and rear are used with a quick-change rear end.Also photographed at :