Delahaye built its first automobile in 1894 in Tours, France and went on to produce well-made but modest utilitarian vehicles. After sales declined severely due to the Depression of the 1930s, the firm needed to produce something incredible if it were to increase sales and survive. For 1934, Delahaye introduced its most famous and successful cars: the 135 and the Coupe des Alpes. Both were sporty, lightweight, and powerful fitted with sleek and stylish custom coachwork. During the Second World War, Delahaye returned to truck production and by 1954, the company had been taken over by commercial vehicle producer Hotchkiss.
This 1939 Delahaye 135M Convertible Coupe wears custom coachwork by Henri Chapron of Paris, France. The car has a 131-inch wheelbase and is powered by a six-cylinder engine offering 120 horsepower.