The Austin-Healey 100 was introduced in 1953 and was the work of Donald Healey. It offered genuine 100-mph performance, dramatic styling and open motoring at an affordable price. Not only did it win the hearts of enthusiasts it also proved its worth in international sports car racing.
This 100/4 BN2 Le Mans was completed on August 22nd of 1955. It is a four-speed BN2 model was originally constructed for export and settled in California. Ernie Morrison discovered the sports car in the late 1980s. The car was treated to a comprehensive nut-and-bolt restoration between 1990 and 1991. Upon completion, the car was finished in two-tone color scheme of Carmine red with black trim. The cockpit was upholstered in black leather with red piping.
At the time, the Le Mans modification kit was installed, complete with larger SU carburetors, special inlet manifolds, a cold air box, a louvered bonnet and a leather strap. These features, combined with the fold-down windscreen, driving lights, Lucas Le Mans headlamps and aircraft-style lap belts, contribute to the ideal image of a post-war British sports car.
After owning the car for a number of years, Mr. Morrison sold it to Richard Jeffery. The current owner is a Southern California collector who has displayed it at a variety of local concours and regularly exercised.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, AZ. It was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $125,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had sold for the sum of $114,400 inclusive of buyer's premium.