The Mercury 9CM series of cars were introduced in April of 1948 and were the company's first new offerings of the post-War era. This also marked the first time since the launch of the brand in 1938, that the body panels were distinct from those of the equivalent Ford models, instead sharing many of their body shells with Lincoln. Another new addition was the introduction of non-structural wood trim produced in an electro-bonding process under 75 tons of pressure. The body was constructed almost entirely of steel which helped reduce interior drafts and noise, and difficult structural repairs.
The wagon, which sold for $2,716, was the highest produce model in the range. Just 8,044 were produced from a total of over 300,000 Mercury cars produced in 1949. Styling was performed under the direction of E.T. 'Bob' Gregorie. Mr. Gregorie, a trained naval architect, is said to have incorporated nautical elements during his automotive design career. The 1949 Mercurys certainly support that belief.
This Mercury wagon was discovered in the early 2000s, which had been stored in a barn in Vermont and showed just 34,000 miles. The exterior was restored to its original color scheme before the wagon changed hands in 2004. Today, the car still shows less than 37,000 miles. The car features an optional clock, radio and heater.
Power is from a 255 cubic-inch flathead V8 engine breathing through a single 2-barrel carburetor. The engine produces 110 horsepower and is sent to the rear wheels via a three-speed manual gearbox with overdrive.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $50,000 - $75,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to close, the car had been sold for $ 63,800 inclusive of buyer's premium.