Max Hoffman built a successful business beginning in the 1930s importing and distributing European cars in the U.S. At the conclusion of the Second World War, he became the U.S Mercedes-Benz distributor. The first car introduced by Mercedes-Benz in the post-War era was the 170 Series. It was powered by a 38 horsepower engine that displaced 1697ccs, had side-valves and four cylinders. This low horsepower unit remained for only a short time, before being replaced by a proper engine that featured single overhead camshafts and six-cylinders. From the 2195cc unit, 80 horsepower was generated, doubling the ouptu of the prior engine. It was placed in a revised chassis known as the 220.
Mercedes-Benz handled the coachwork for the 220 Series and outfitted with elegance and luxury in keeping with the companies tradition. With the help of Max Hoffman, the cars sold well, with over 16,000 built during the three-year production lifespan. Two-thousand were given additional luxury appointments and fitted with attractive open coachwork bodies.
This 1952 Mercedes-Benz 220A Cabriolet was offered for sale at the 2007 Monterey Sports & Classic Car Auction presented by RM Auctions, where it had an estimated value of $80,000 - $110,000. It was offered without reserve. It was treated to a restoration in 1992 and still shows well today. The exterior paint is burgundy with a matching tan convertible top. The interior features bucket seats in the front and a folding bench in the rear. There is factory fitted luggage, a four-speed column-mounted shifter, and a proven six-cylinder engine. It was shown at Meadow Brook Hall's Concours d'Elegance and is a brilliant example of the legendary Mercedes-Benz marque. At auction, the high bid quickly surpassed the estimated value, reaching $154,000 including buyer's premium. The lot was sold.