The British Motor Corporation held a competition in 1952 to design a new two-seater Austin sports car. One of the individuals that took on the challenge was Donald Healey; his '100' won the competition and the Earl's Court Motor Show prototype was ordered into production. The Healey 100 made its appearance at the 1953 International Motor Show in New York and by this time, was in production at Austin's factory at Longbridge. It had earned the name, the Austin-Healey 100.
The robust yet simple vehicle was reasonably priced at $2,995.
In 1956, the 100-6 was introduced which featured powered from the new Austin Westminster 2,639cc six-cylinder engine, along with jump seats in the back. The final version of the Austin-Healey engine arrived in 1959. It had a 2912cc which precipitated a name change to the Austin-Healey 3000.
Though the Austin-Healey had evolved through several wonderful iterations, the roadster sill had the impractical side curtains. The introduction of the Mark II in 1962 had curved-windshield and windup windows, and 2+2 seating.
This particular example has been driven just 4,640 miles since the restoration work was completed. It is finished in black over red coves with a new red leather interior. It is one of the 6,113 Mark IIs built between 1962 and 1964. The car rides on chrome wire wheels and has a four-speed and overdrive gearbox.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $50,000 - $70,000 and was offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had sold for $55,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.