Following the success of the two-seater 350GT, Lamborghini introduced a more refined GT car at the 1966 Geneva Auto Show. It was powered by a 3929cc four-liter version of the V12 engine designed by Giotto Bizzarrini and Gian Paolo Dallara and mated to a new gearbox aimed at replacing the prior ZF units.
A slight reshaping of the body by Touring increased the interior room, making the car into a proper '2+2', while retaining the shape of the original two-seater. The bodies were now formed from steel rather than aluminum. Though this increased the weight of the vehicle by 400 pounds, the V12 engine was enlarged earning an additional 40 horsepower.
This would be the last major project performed by Carrozzeria Touring, as they ceased operation in 1968 and went into receivership. Production of the 400 GT 2+2 would end in 1968, with just 247 examples created.
This vehicle is a 400 GT Spyder, chassis number 1267. It is one of just two Spyders that were created in the 1990s by Jerry Fandytis of Arizona. Both of the Spyders were initially steel-bodied 400GT 2+2s, with a lightweight aluminum hood and deck lid. Both cars were finished in silver-blue, this car was given a beige interior. There is a medium blue Haartz canvas top, leather interior, single headlights, Wilton wood carpeting, Nardi steering wheel and Borrani wire wheels.
The restoration work was completed in time for its debut at the 1999 Concorso Italiano.
In 2009, this Lamborghini 400 GT Spyder was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $150,000-$200,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $154,000 including buyer's premium.Also photographed at :