The first Porsche 356 was first shown to the public at the 1949 Geneva Motor Show and its aerodynamic and nimble body was well received. The early versions were hand built at the Gmund in Austria. The A was produced until 1959, the B until 1962, and the C until 1965. The 356 was a very popular road car with a racing heritage. There were specially prepared 356 models that were entered into competitive events including the LeMans 24 Hours Race. When first introduced the 356 was powered by a rear mounted 1100 cc engine. Engine options progressed to include the 1300cc, 1500cc, and 1600cc versions. Twin choke Zenith, Solex and Weber carburetors boosted horsepower further.
The 'S' or 'Sport' specification was the only 356 model to be given four-wheel disc brakes, which complemented the 1587 cc engine rather nicely. Top speed was just over 110 mph and with fuel economy being rated at over 30 mph.
The 1964 Porsche 356 SC Coupe finished in white with a black interior was offered for auction at the 2006 Worldwide Group Auction held on Hilton Head Concours. It was expected to sell between $35,000-$45,000. At the conclusion of the auction, the vehicle had been sold for $34,100.
The 1964 Porsche 356 SC Coupe finished in red with a black interior was also offered for sale at the 2006 Worldwide Group Auction. This was expected to sell for the same amount, $35,000-$45,000. It found a new owner at the price of $39,600. This vehicle has a rare manual sunroof, wood-rim steering wheel, and original Blaupunkt radio. The odometer reads just over 77,000 miles.