Exterior PhotosInterior Photos
Coupe
Chassis Num: 5843
The first rear-engined V12 Ferrari with the 3-liter 250 GT engine was the 250P 'Prototipo' that won at LeMans in 1963. Enzo Ferrari wanted to have a rear-engined car for both road and race, and he revealed the 3.3 liter 250 LM at the 1963 Paris Auto Show. It was very much like the LeMans winning car but with a roof. Due to the FIA rules about homologation at the time, all the 250LMs built before 1966 were raced as prototypes. All but one of the 32 cars built were raced at some point and all but three of these were right-hand drive as was normal for Ferrari race cars at the time.

Chassis number 5843 was constructed in the spring of 1964 and was one of the earliest examples completed. It was delivered to Garage Francorchamps in Belgium in May of that year, and was the first of three 250 LMs purchased by the Belgian team.

The car was raced extensively during the 1964 season, appearing at Nurburgring 1000KM, LeMans (where it finished 16th overall), and Reims. It won the Lindbergh Grand Prix and the Houyet Hillclimb in Belgium. It continued to race until its retirement in 1967. It later competed in vintage and historic competition.

By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2010

Auction Sales Information

EventGroup 
Pebble Beach Concours d'EleganceFerrari Competition 
Pebble Beach Auction : Gooding & Company1958-1966 
 
Ferrari 250 GTO 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO
Chassis: 5571GT
Ford GT40 1965 Ford GT40
Chassis: GT/108
Jaguar XK-D D-Type 1955 Jaguar XK-D D-Type
Chassis: XKD504
McLaren F1 1994 McLaren F1
Chassis: 11
Porsche 917/30 1973 Porsche 917/30
Chassis: 917/30-006