1927 Packard 343 Third Series Eight
|Model History||Auction sales research||Specifications||Body styles and Chassis Data|
In 1927 the Packard vehicles outfitted with eight-cylinder engines were known as the Eight Series, or 336 and 343 Third Series Packard's. Packard was one of the first marque's to mass produce an inline-eight cylinder engine and offer them with four-wheel brakes. A few other luxury marques, such as Cadillac, had also been mass-producing eight-cylinder engines and offering them in their vehicles.
In 1925 Packard hired Ray Dietrich to design the bodies of the Packard's. His creations helped Packard become one of the most popular vehicles in the country by the close of the 1920's.
This Packard, with chassis number 224144, was originally owned by the US Government and used by Franklin D. Roosevelt to inspect W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) Projects in Texas. Gun holsters are still sewn inside of the doors for the secret service men to use. It sits atop a 143 inch wheelbase and had a factory price of $3,950. It was offered for sale at the 2006 Worldwide Group Auction held on Hilton Head Island where it was expected to fetch between $90,000-$110,000. At the conclusion of the auction, the vehicle was left unsold.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2006
|Auction Sales Information|
|Auction||Worldwide Group Auction at Hilton Head Island|
|Lot was not sold|
|Worldwide Group Auction at Hilton Head Island||1915-1939|