The Phantom III was an entirely different car from the previous Phantoms with a V12 engine of 7338cc, 120 horsepower, four-speed transmission and weight of 6,160 lbs. With input from Gabriel Voisin, it had an international reputation of modern design and technology with independent suspension and other modern features. Only 710 Phantom IIIs were produced, with 130 delivered to members of the British Royal Family and to high-ranking nobility. The rear seating area has a bar with crystal decanter and goblets, radio, heater, clock, altimeter and speedometer.
This is a one-off Park Ward Coachwork body with cane work on the rear doors and a sliding roof over the chauffeur's compartment.
This Rolls-Royce Phantom III wears a Sedanca de Ville by Park Ward of London, in a duplicate of their design created for the 1937 London Motor Show at Earls Court. It has swept-back doors, a 'dipped' beltline, angled windscreen and division window, curved roofline, and decorative caning to the rear body. The interior compartment is elaborately trimmed and features bleached maple woodwork, folding tray tables and vanities, and an electric blind to ensure privacy.
The car's original owner was J.D. Clarke, a London real estate agent and surveyor. He would own the car as late as 1947. It was sold out of England for the first time in 1978, to Patricia Jean Geerke in the United States. A few years later, it returned to the United Kingdom, where it was given a complete restoration. After the work was completed, it crossed the Atlantic again and put on display at the Blackhawk Museum in California. It was later acquired by the late Malcolm S. Pray Jr. While in his care, it was awarded the Most Distinguished Rolls-Royce on display at the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance, as well as the Most Elegant Formal Sedan or Town Car at the Amelia Island Concours.
Since leaving Mr. Pray's care, the car has been repainted in the current shade of black.