1930 Bugatti Type 44
|Model History||Auction sales research||Specifications||Body styles and Chassis Data|
This example has been chronicled in Bugantics 18-2-9 (the Quarterly Journal of the Bugatti Owner's Club), in Hugh Conway's 1962 Bugatti Register, the American Bugatti Register of 1988, and in Pur Sang 16-4 (the Journal of the American Bugatti Club).
The car was originally invoiced to Magasin, Paris and later owned in the 1930s by Alber Bovy of Belgium. Jean De Dobbeleer later purchased the car and sold it via Gene Cesari to Moe Sherid of Pennsylvania. In 1962, E.R. Thompson of Ford City, PA purchased the car from Sherid. The car was driven to Thompson's home and put in his garage, where it would remain for a number of years. Thompson sold the car in the early 1970s to noted collector Edsel Pfabe. Pfabe treated the car to a restoration, re-chroming the bumper and replaced engine number 238 with engine number 658. Parts from the original engine were incorporated into 658. Currently, the only discernable engine number, however, is '238', the number of the original engine, which is stamped on the lower half of the block, on the driver's side.
After the completion of the restoration, the car was donated to the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum, where it was on display prior to being brought to auction. Currently, the car has no top and is not in running condition. The engine is not seized and it does turn over.
It is believed that this is the only two-door, four-passenger phaeton known to exist.
In 2009, this Type 44 Touring car was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey sale presented by RM Auctions where it was estimated to sell for $85,000 - $120,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $187,000, including buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2009
|Auction Sales Information|
|Auction||Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey by RM Auctions|
|Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey by RM Auctions||1929-1931|