1937 SS Cars 100 SS
|Model History||Auction sales research||Specifications||Body styles and Chassis Data|
The 'SS' designation stood for the Swallow Sidecar & Coach building Company. It was founded by William Walmsley in Blackpool, England. The company was later relocated to Coventry.
The SS90 first appeared in 1935 and was based on a shortened SS1 chassis. It featured a long bonnet, flowing wings, cut-away doors and a short rear. It promised a top speed of 90mph but its Achilles heal would prove to be the sidevalve engine. The SS100 followed the same basic design as its SS90 sibling but rested on a 102-inch wheelbase and powered by the Standard Six with twin SU carburetors. The engine was capable of producing 104 horsepower.
One of the SS100's earliest successes came at the hands of Tommy Wisdom who won the International Alpine Trial in 1936. What was to follow was a slew of class wins in the RAC events of 1937 and 1938.
In total there were around 190 examples of the 2.5-Liter and 118 of the later 3.5-Liter cars. Production ended at the outbreak of war.
This example carries chassis number 18075 and was sent to its original in 1937 and first registered on March 29th of that year. J.M Charters of the UK was its first owner. The car later made its way to the United States and spent time in an Ohio museum as a static display for over 30 years. In recent years, it was treated to a complete restoration in Great Britain and finished in its original black livery.
The car has its original all-aluminum body, steel fenders, and optional dual spares installed.
In 2007 it was brought to Carmel, California where it was offered for sale at Bonhams auction, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia. The lot had an estimated value of $380,000 - $430,000. It failed to find an interested buyer willing to satisfy the vehicles reserve and left the auction unsold.
This was the first of the 49 Jaguar SS100s to be exported to the United States in the 1930s and the second of the 3.5 litre cars to be built. This as also the first car to bear the name Jaguar. Initially the company that William Lyons started in 1922 was called Swallow Sidecars. It because SS Cars when car production began, and in 1935 the cars were named SS Jaguars. The name reversed for all of Lyons cars in 1940, and the 'SS' was dropped after the war for obvious reasons. Jaguar's sporting tradition started with the prewar SS100, which laid the foundation for one of Britain's premier marques. During its lifetime this SS100 Jaguar has had owners in both the United States and in Europe. It now lives not far from its Coventry birthplace.
By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2009
|Auction Sales Information|
|Auction||Bonhams, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia|
|Lot was not sold|
|Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance||European Classic Open|
|Bonhams, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia||1931-1947|