1947 Bentley Mark VI
|Model History||Auction sales research||Specifications||Body styles and Chassis Data|
This Convertible Coupe wears coachwork by Switzerland's famed Carrosserie Graber. Dr. Robert Kaffeli of Basel, Switzerland commissioned B136BH in 1947. This vehicle is one of just 35 Bentleys ever bodied by Graber. Of those, as many as 12 Drophead Coupes were built on the Mark VI chassis.
This vehicle was delivered to Dr. Kaffeli in red livery with a factory-fitted radio, a speedometer calibrated in kilometers, and double-filament headlamp bulbs. It was also fitted with a painted metal dash panel, rather than the tradition wooden units characteristic of the majority of Bentley production.
This vehicle has air conditioning, but it is unclear if this was a factory-original amenity.
In the 1980s, the car was given a restoration and refinished in dark blue and fitted with a cream cloth top. After the work was completed, the car was featured in Germany's Motor Klassik magazine. In 1997, the car was given another restoration. In late 2000, the current owner acquired it from Kr. Vladimir Bar, of Erligheim, Germany, and imported it to the UK. In 2001, the car had 88,250 kilometers on the odometer. A short time later, the speedometer was exchanged for one calibrated in miles.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at RM Auction's Arizona sale where it was estimated to sell for $150,000 - $180,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $110,000, inclusive of buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2011
|Auction Sales Information|
|Auction||Automobiles of Arizona by RM Auctions|
|Auction||Bonhams - Quail Lodge Sale|
|Bonhams - Quail Lodge Sale||1937-1960|
|Automobiles of Arizona by RM Auctions||1947-1955|