Prior to 1955, all Lancias were given right-hand-drive steering. 1955 marked the first year Lancia offered their vehicles with an optional left-hand drive. The vehicles given left-hand drive were designated with an 'S', for Sinistra, meaning left in Italian. There were 240 examples of the Spider Americas built and 181 were left-hand drive. This bodystyle was intended for the United States marketplace and most were sent to North America.
This 1955 Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America with coachwork by Pininfarina was the next to last to be built. This, along with the last example created, was sent to Lebanon for the household of the King of Jordan. Work began on chassis 1180 on October 12th of 1955 and completed on November 7th. It was delivered with a pair of driving lights mounted by Pinin Farina at the front on either side of the grille, a special feature which is rare to these cars.
Later in this cars life, it was sent to France and purchased by an Italian. It was given a full restoration in Italy, including a complete engine rebuild. It was finished in the original combination of Grigio, meaning gray and white, with a red leather interior. The car includes the Nardi carburetor kit and the Borrani wire-hub chrome knock-off wheels. The interior features an alloy-spoke wood-rimmed steering wheel.
In 2008, this Aurelia B24S Spider America was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, CA where it was estimated to sell for $550000 - $650,000. The lot was sold for $572,000, including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009