1949 Ferrari 166MM
|Model History||Auction sales research||Specifications||Body styles and Chassis Data|
Engine/Mechanical Component Photos
This is the only unrestored example of Ferrari's rare 166 Mille Miglia Touring Barchetta, or 'little boat.' Just 25 Barchettas were built with the 2-liter V12 engine, and they were very successful, winning at the Mille Miglia and LeMans in 1949. The winning driver at LeMans was Luigi Chinetti was also happens to be a previous owner of this particular little Ferrari. This car with chassis number 0052M spent most of the last 40 years resting untouched in the Arizona desert. It has since been disassembled and cleaned in the process of being returned to running order, but every effort has been made to rebuild it exactly as found. With the engine refreshed and revitalized, this Ferrar has again taken to the tracks in the hands of its proud new owner.
Ferrari 166 MM Touring Barchetta Speciale with chassis number 0052 M is stirring excitement and interest where ever it travels. It is a recent 'barn find' and has been out of the publics eye for nearly fifty years. 'Barn find' is always an exciting term and one that usually means the car has been hidden away in a barn without the owners knowledge of the gem that they possess. This was not the case in this situation; the current owner and the help of Ferrari expert Marcel Massini were able to ascertain the car from the late owner's estate. The car was residing in Arizona and is in very original condition. Since that time the car has been treated to a mechanical rebuild and has been the feature in the September edition of the Cavallino Magazine, issue number 154. It made its first public appearance at the Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach, Florida in 2007 where it was driven a few laps around the Moroso Motorsports Track before being shown on the Breakers Hotel lawn. It was awarded the 'Vintage Preservation Cup' at the event.
During the rebuilt of the engine, important and startling discoveries were made. The engine was actually a Formula 2 unit rather than the regular 166 MM engine. The car had been raced extensively during its early existence. It was driven by Luigi Chinetti, Lord Selsdon, Jean Lucas, Dorino Serafini, and Giovanni Bracco at venues such as the 24 Hours of LeMans, Nuerburgring, and the 12 Hours of Paris. The large hood scoop gave the engine better breathing abilities and the large red brake drums provided superior stopping power.
Based on the findings of the engine, it is believed that the car was a factory experimental machine and the first 166 MM to feature the F2 two-liter engine.
The car was raced with much success in Europe until 1955. It passed through ownership for the next few years before settling in the care of a US citizen of California, in 1959. The car was stored in Arizona and driven on rare occasions. After forty-five years, it was passed to its next, and present owner. Though the engine has been given new life, the rest of the vehicle is still highly original. It is considered the most original Ferrari racing car in existence. Examining the car carefully, one will find the paint to be chipping, the instrumentation fading, and the seats being worn with age.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2011
|Auction Sales Information|
|Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance||Postwar Preservation Through 1967||Class Awards : Class L-2 (Postwar Preservation through 1967)|
|Cavallino Classic Concorso d'Eleganza||Upper Concours||Preservation Cup : Outstanding original preserved condition Pre-1975|