The history of Thrupp and Maberly dates back to 1858 when Maberly partnered with Thrupp to found the company of Thrupp & Maberly Ltd. George Maberly was a painter of horse-drawn carriages while George Herbert Thrupp was a coachbuilder, operating under the name of Charles Thrupp and Co. in London since 1760. Thrupp had built a strong repuration backed by showrooms on fashionable Oxford Street.
The Thrupp & Maberly due became known for their quality and innovation and became known as one of the best coachbuilders in all of England. When the late 1800's and early 1900's brought the popularity of motorcars, the Company switched their focus to creating custom bodies for these horseless carriages. Their biggest customer was from Rolls-Royce who had a steady supply of rolling chassis delivered to Thrupp and Maberly for bodying.