Emilio de la Cuadra, a Spanish army captain, started Hispano-Suiza in 1898. He hired Swiss engineer Marc Birkigt to design their first gasoline powered engines. By 1905, they were producing a series of large four- and six-cylinder engines for automobiles. During World War I, they provided engines for airplanes. Birkigt designed a series of pioneering aircraft engine innovations that included the first use of a cast engine block, propeller reduction gearing and a hollow propeller shaft to allow firing a gun through the propeller. When the War came a close, they returned to automobile and engine production and developed a strong reputation for building luxury automobiles.
Hispano-Suiza produced roughly 2,350 H6 cars that included the H6B and H6C models, from 1919 to 1933. The H6 featured an all-aluminum, overhead camshaft 403 cubic-inch straight 6-cylinder engine. It was essentially half of Birkigt's V12 aviation engine. The brakes were light-alloy drums at all four wheels with power assist, an industry first technology that was licensed to other manufacturers including Rolls-Royce.
This automobile is a 1926 H6B chassis which was rebodied in 1931 by master coach builder Henri Chapron for the 1932 Paris Auto Show. It is rumored that it was originally owned by the king of Tunisia, although not as yet documented. It was brought into the US in the 1950s by Alec Ulmann, who later sold it to a gentleman from Long Island, NY, Joe Weider, who drove it extensively for 30-40 years. After having a complete body-off restoration, it debuted at Pebble Beach in August 2004, where it was chosen Best in Class out of seven Hispano Suizas.
In 2005, it was exhibited after a complete restoration at the prestigious Pebble Beach, California Concours and was chosen Best in Class. It won Best in Class at the Hilton Head Concours in 2005. In 2005, at the Meadowbrook Concours, it was named 'Most Elegant Motor Car' out of 200 entries.
High bid of $300,000 at 2011 Mecum. (did not sell) Sold for $363,000 at 2013 Gooding & Company. The Spanish Swish Automobile Factory had a rough start, enduring several bankruptcies and World War One service as an aircraft engine manufacturer. After the war, they returned to automobile design and production, and in 1919 introduced the H6. It would become one of the most elegant automobiles of all time and it was fitted with many advanced features. Under the bonnet was a 6.6-liter straight six engine that had an aluminum block which was inspired by the company's earlier aviation units designed by Marc Birkigt. The engine features a seven-bearing billet steel crankshaft, an overhead cam, screw-in steel cylinder liners and enameled water passages to prevent corrosion.
Perhaps the most innovation feature found on the H6 was its power-assisted light-alloy drum brakes, the first of their kind. They were soon licensed by other manufacturers, most notably by Rolls-Royce, who employed the system well into the 1960s.
This Hispano-Suiza H6B wears touring coachwork create by Hooper & Co. of London. The first owner was a South African, and it still bears a collection of African auto club badges and license plates. It is an unrestored example except for the specially fabricated exhaust system. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
Sold for $180,000 at 2013 RM Auctions. The Hispano-Suiza Company, which translates from French to 'Spanish-Swiss' was born from the genius of a Swiss engineer, Marc Birkigt, and originally produced in Spain. It would, however, be the Hispano-Suizas from France that would become legendary. The H6B model, in particular, had an aircraft-derived six-cylinder that employed machined steel cylinders with integral combustion chambers in a cast aluminum block and with two valves per cylinder driven by a single overhead camshaft and a pressure-lubricated crankshaft turning on seven main bearings. The chassis was given advanced servo-assisted four-wheel brakes and the bodies were designed and built by some of the finest carrosserie's in Europe and abroad.
This H6B Torpedo with coachwork by Weymann is believed to have been originally delivered to H. Rothbarth, a banker and director of Weymann's Motor Bodies of Addlestone, Surrey, the British licensees of Frenchman Charles Weymann's innovative fabric body method.
The Torpedo Coachwork employs a cotton-padded wooden framework that is covered in outer panels of a colored vinyl-like material and produces a matte-finished body that is light and durable. This is one of only two known Hispano-Suizas with fabric bodywork.
This example has been in the care of its present owner for over 5 decades. It was given a restoration that was completed in 2011. The color was changed from green to white, which was performed in 1961. Other than that change, the car appears today as it did when first delivered in 1926. The car has its original, unrestored trunk, fitted luggage, and stork mascot. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
The Hispano-Suiza Company has created some of most elegant, respected, and exquisite automobiles of all time. The designs and custom-built bodies were owned by the most elite and exclusive clientele. Among their most memorable creations were the H6 Series and the J-12. Among their accomplishments was the production of aircraft engines. During the First World War they produced over 50,000 V-12 engines for aircraft. From 1919 through 1923 Hispano-Suiza produced an eight-cylinder aircraft engine.
The beginning of the company Fabrica La Hispano Suiza de Automovils began in 1904 but their existence and experience in the automotive community began six years prior. Emilio de la Cuadra created the La Cuadra Company in 1898 focusing on production of the electric automobile. Marc Birkigt, a French engineer, joined the Barcelona, Spain based company shortly after its inception. In the very early 1900's, the La Cuadra Company began production of a gasoline-powered engine that featured a shaft drive instead of a chain, a revolutionary design at the time. Their fortune shortly changed and the company was forced to close. The Fabrica La Hispano-Suiza de Automovils succeeded the Castro Company continuing production in Spain and employing the ingenious designer, Birkigt. The name was later changed to Fabrica La Hispano Suiza de Automovils. The very early engines were four-cylinders comprised of a 3.8 and a 7.4 liter capacity. Two six cylinder engines were introduced shortly after the fours.
In 1911 a factory in Paris was opened to satisfy the demands from their French clientele. A larger factory was built three years later in Bois-Colombes. The production of these facilities focused primarily on the H6B, a large, luxurious, and desirable automobile.
The H6 was revolutionary, offering speed, luxury, quality and an unequalled level of craftsmanship. Rolls Royce, Isotta, and Bentley did not offer all of these qualities in their automobiles until the 1920's. The H6 models were expensive, often the most expensive vehicle in all of Europe. The production of the H6 began at the close of the 1920's and were powered by a six-cylinder, 6.5 liter overhead-camshaft engine capable of producing 135 horsepower. The camshaft was shaft-driven and operated the valves, a configuration that was uncommon at the time. The engine was placed in the front and powered the rear wheels. Top speed was achieved at around 85 miles per hour. Even though a V-12 cylinder was available, Birkigt felt that a single bank of the 12-cylinder engine was appropriate to power their vehicles. The suspension was comprised of a semi-elliptic leaf springs and a live axle. Drum brakes with a power-assisted servo-brake system provided ample stopping power. The H6 Series were built in Paris and later in the Czech Republic.
As was customary at the time, Hispano Suiza delivered the rolling-chassis H6 to custom coach builder for assembly. This resulted in unique and custom bodies that complimented the power, ingenuity and performance of the components of the chassis. Only the finest coach builders were commissioned to build the bodies.
In 1932 production of the H6B ended and in 1933, the production of the H6C began. The H6C was powered by a 7983 cc engine, the result of modifying the cylinder size of the of the straight-six cylinder power-plant. The need to increase the horsepower of the cars were two-fold, the first being the need to stay competitive when compared with its competition, the second being the fact that the custom-built bodies had become heavier to keep pace with luxury. The need to offer an even larger engine became apparent. There was little room left in modification of the six-cylinder power-plant, so Birkigt decided that a V-12 would be more appropriate and allow the ability for future modifications. The result was the T68, also known as the J-12.
In 1924 Hispano-Suiza produced the Type 12Jb V-12 aircraft engine produced 400 horsepower. In 1926 the engine was enlarged, dubbed the 12Hb, and produced over 500 horsepower. In 1928 the 12Nb version was introduced, a result of enlarging the engine further, resulting in 720 horsepower.
Hispano took over Ballot in 1930, the producers of a 4580cc Junior six-cylinder engine. In 1934, the Junior was replaced with the K6 model.
The 1930's brought The Great Depression. The automobile manufacturers most affected were the luxury automobile makers. Their short-list of clientele became even shorter which meant competition was fierce and change was necessary. Many luxury manufacturers began producing small, less expensive automobiles that could continue to be sold and still generate income. Hispano Suiza, however, did not change and continued to produce their large, powerful, and luxurious automobiles. The Type 68 was introduced featuring a 9.5 liter V-12 engine. As the years progressed, so did the engine capacity which was further enlarged to 11.3 liters. The company had stayed in business for most of the Depression but was forced to close its doors in 1938.
The automobiles produced by Hispano Suiza were unmatched. No expenses were spared on their creation resulting in some of the greatest automobile creations of all time. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2008
The results are now all in for the inaugural Public Choice vote for the 2014 Concours of Elegance at Hampton Court Palace
A rare alloy-bodied 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing is voted the Public C...