This car was exhibited at the 1936 New York Motor Show on the Brewster stand and was the last 3½ liter chassis.
In January, 1937, the first private owner was Francis (Frank) DuPont, who designed the Interstate Highway system for President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
This Derham customized body was changed from a Tourer to a Drop Head. It is the only Bentley bodied by Derham. It is the only Bentely with two body builders from New York: Vanden Plas - England - Tourer Body and J. J. Derham - USA - 2-door Drophead Body. It is powered by a 3,669 cc in-line, six-cylinder engine.
Sold for $374,000 at 2014 RM Sothebys. Sold for $200,750 at 2017 RM Sothebys. From 1933 through 1936, there were 1,177 Bentley 3.5-Litre cars produced. Just only chassis were delivered to Windovers, a British coachbuilder that was founded in 1796 and continued until 1956.
This is a one-off Bentley and features custom coachwork by Windover Coachworks. The Sedanca body design is attributed to Howard 'Dutch' Darrin.
This award-winning Bentley earned the 'Best European Car' award at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance following a frame-off restoration.
The 1933-37 3½ litre Bentley was the first Bentley built after the original firm folded in 1931 and was sold to Rolls-Royce. It was known as 'the Silent Sportscar.' All Bentleys carried bodies by custom coachbuilders such as Windover.
This car was tailored for its original owner, B. Gootnick, who accepted delivery in March of 1936. It was later owned by Dr. Mark Sheppard, followed by Herbert Boyer. Mr. Boyer showed the car at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1983, where it won First in Class and the Lord Montague Trophy. Then, it underwent an extensive body-off restoration before it was shown by him again at Pebble Beach in 1993. Owner shop later changed to the Blackhawk Collection. In 2002, it was sold by Mr. Williams of the Blackhawk Collection to Mr. Swimmer. In 2003, it was shown at Pebble Beach.
The overhead valve, six-cylinder 3½ litre motorcars were built at Derby, not Cricklewood. Wheelbase was 126 inches. Total production of the 3½ litre Bentley was 1,177.
In 1931 Bentley Motor was purchased by Rolls-Royce. As a result the Bentley factory was moved to Derby. Many of the future designs of the Bentleys utilized the Rolls-Royce creations and borrowed many of their mechanical components. The first example of this was in 1933 with the introduced of the Bentley 3 1/2 Liter which was very similar to the newly introduced Rolls Royce 20/25. To continue Bentley's heritage and racing accomplishments the Bentleys were given a sportier design and a more powerful engine. The Rolls Royce vehicles were outfitted with luxurious amenities and elegant designs. As was customary at the time, automobile manufacturers supplied various coachbuilders with rolling chassis and left it to the coach builder to design and build the body of the vehicle. This meant that each vehicle could be created to the exact requirements as dictated by the customer. By utilizing a similar chassis, the coachwork for the Bentley's and the Rolls-Royce were streamlined, making it easier on the coachbuilder.
During the production lifespan of the Bentley 3.5 Liter which lasted from 1933 through 1937, around 1177 examples were created in various size, configuration, and coachwork. Power was supplied from a straight-six cylinder engine with overhead valves and two SU carburetors. The 110 horsepower was distributed to the rear wheels through a four-speed manual gearbox. Performance was modest with a top speed nearing 100 mph. The performance of the Bentley was further increased with the introduction of the Bentley 4 1/4 Liter which featured a larger engine and a higher compression ratio.
The low production figures of the Bentley 3 1/4 guarantees their exclusivity in modern times and is further amplified by the unique designs created by some of the most famous coachbuilders during that era to include Mulliner, Vandenplas, and others.
Derby Bentley's The vehicles that were first produced by Bentley under the ownership of Rolls Royce in the factory located in Derby, are commonly referred to as the Bentley Derby's. The union between Rolls Royce and Bentley was a marriage of quality construction, reliability and sporting heritage. The engine and chassis of the Derby Bentley's were constructed by Bentley with the final construction and assembly handled by coachbuilders, selected by the customer and built to their specifications.
The engine sizes ranged throughout the years from a 3.5 liter unit to a 4.25 Liter unit, later fitted with overdrive. There were over 1,100 examples of the 3.5 liter vehicle created in less than three years. Most were bodied by Park Ward and given the standard bodies consisting of wood and aluminum or steel. Other coachbuilders include Rippon, Thrupp & Maberly, Saoutchik and vanvooren, Vanden Plas, James Young, Barker, Freestone & Webb, Gurney Nutting, Hooper, Mann Egerton, Mulliner, Figoni, Kellner, and more.
A total of 2422 examples left the Derby factory. Most were in Saloon configuration. Drophead Coupe configuration was next most popular configuration. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2006
More than 50 incredible cars embarked on the start of a two-day Concours of Elegance Highland Tour today
The Tour leads to Edinburgh and the official opening of the Concours of Elegance at the Palac...
July 15, 2014 - Akron, Ohio—Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, one of the nations most iconic residences arising from the American Country Estate movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, announces...