Concept Carz Home
 CoupesArrow PictureManufacturersArrow PicturePackardArrow PictureModel 840 DeLuxe Eight (1930 - 1931)Arrow Picture1931 Packard Model 840 DeLuxe Eight 
 

1931 Packard Model 840 DeLuxe Eight news, pictures, specifications, and information

Sport Phaeton
Chassis Num: 190345
Engine Num: 190400
 
Sold for $231,000 at 2006 RM Auctions.
The Packard DeLuxe Eight Model 840 and 845 were built atop the long 140- or 145-inch wheelbase and are considered by many to be the ultimate Packard of their era. The long bodies provided ample space and luxury for their passengers. The coach-built Packard's are some of the most exquisite automobiles of all time.

The dual cowl phaeton was built atop the 140-inch Model 840 platform. It was powered by a 385 cubic-inch inline eight-cylinder engine capable of producing 120 horsepower. A four-speed manual gearbox sent power to the rear wheels while the body was suspended in place by a solid front axle with leaf springs, and a live rear axle also with leaf springs. Four wheel mechanically-actuated drum brakes provided the stopping power.

The Packard automobiles were expensive but well worth the money. Their price ranges inched closely towards the cost of a new house. The Sport Phaeton had no roll-up windows and were true open cars meant for fair weather driving. There were two windshields meaning that the owner was intended to be chauffeur driven.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
Convertible Victoria Waterhouse
Coachwork: Waterhouse
Chassis Num: 188233
Engine Num: 173560
 
Sold for $330,000 at 2007 Gooding & Company.
High bid of $230,000 at 2011 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
Sold for $154,000 at 2012 RM Auctions.
1931 was a short year for Packard that officially came to an end on June 17th of 1931. There were only subtle changes to distinguish the 1930 Seventh-Series cars from the 1931 Eighth-Series cars. The hubcaps grew in size; the steering wheels had three spokes instead of four, sidelamps moved from the cowl to the front fenders.

Other changes included the engine; the 840 and 845 used the block from the 734 Speedster. This raised its previous 106 hp rating to 120 thanks to larger inlet and exhaust ports. A mechanical fuel pump replaced the vacuum tank.

The Waterhouse Company was in existence from 1928 to 1933 and was located in Webster, Massachusetts. Their craft was applied to marque's such as Rolls-Royce, Cadillac, DuPont, Lincoln, Packard, Stutz, Chrysler, Marmon and others. In total, 296 bodies of various configurations were created.

This 1931 Packard 840 Convertible Victoria with coachwork by Waterhouse was discovered and bought in Argentina in 1965 by car dealer Ed Jurist. The next owner was Packard collector Shelley Vincent III. While in Vencent's care, the car was professionally restored and then displayed at various Northeastern events. It garnered an Antique Automobile Club of America National First Place Award and won the Best of Show Belcourt Cup at the Newport, Rhode Island, Motor Car Festival.

There were only five examples of the Waterhouse Convertible Victoria built on the 840 and 845 chassis. Only two were 840s and both are still in existence. Parts of the reason for these low figures were Packard's abbreviated sales and production year.

Of the two Waterhouse 840s Convertible Victoria's still in existence, this one has twin spare tires mounted on the back, giving it greater length and sweep.

In 2007 this 840 Convertible Victoria was brought to the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, CA where it was estimated to sell for $325,000 - $400,000 and offered without reserve. As the gavel fell for the third and final time, this former Pebble Beach winner had been sold for the sum of $330,000 including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
Dietrich Convertible Victoria
Coachwork: Dietrich
 
Dietrich and Company began building bodies for Packard in the mid-1920s, and by 1931 catalogs offered a series of custom bodies for Packard's larger chassis. Economic conditions resulted in very few sales. This Convertible Victoria is one of those rare offerings that made it to fruition. The Convertible Victoria style offered comfortable all weather motoring for five passengers.
Convertible Victoria Waterhouse
Coachwork: Waterhouse
Chassis Num: 188992
Engine Num: 189054
 
This 1931 Packard 840 DeLuxe Eight Convertible Victoria has coachwork by Waterhouse and is a former Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Class Winner. It is black with a burgundy leather interior and a black cloth top. The engine is a 385 cubic-inch L-head eight-cylinder unit with a single updraft carburetor which produces an impressive 120 horsepower. The four-speed manual gearbox sends power to the rear wheels while the four-wheel mechanical drums provide the stopping power. This two-door left-hand drive vehicle was auctioned at the 2006 Christies Auction in Monterey California where it was expected to fetch $400000-$500000. At the close of the bidding, it had found a new owner at a price of $449500.

The Packard Company built a tradition and reputation for style, durability, quality, and reliability. The eight-cylinder engine was very refined for the 1930 era. It was smooth, quiet and capable of carrying the vehicles at a respectable pace. The owners of a Packard were instantly recognized as higher class individuals as the vehicles personified success in every dimension.

The Eight Series Packard's were introduced in 1930 during a rough time in American history with the stock market crisis in full force. The world's economy was in question and during this time many businesses went into bankruptcy.

Though it was customary at the time, Packard made the decision to bring all body building in house, rather than outsourcing the work. This was done to eliminate the lucrative custom coach building commissions. To increase its position in the market, the company lowered its prices considerably. The prices were dropped and continued to drop over time. Sadly, this did little to boost sales.

Finding Eight-Series Packard's with custom coach bodies is very rare. The example shown has coachwork by the Waterhouse firm. Charles Waterhouse and his son created the Waterhouse Company in 1928. Located in Webster, Massachusetts, the firm had created a Convertible Victoria body for Packard in 1928 which was later shown at the Paris Motor Show. The vehicle was well received and the tight deadline that was given to Waterhouse was completed on time and done to perfection. Build quality was high and the style was astonishing. George Weaver was responsible for the design. The top was very impressive and could be folder almost flat with the low window sills.

It was delivered on November 11th of 1930 to an unknown buyer. It was delivered by R. Gonzalez & Company in Montevideo, Uruguay, Gabriel Terra. It is believed to have been constructed for the President of Uruguay, Gabriel Terra or a wealthy vintner. In the mid-Seventies it was returned to the United States where a restoration was undertaken by Tom Sparks for its then owner Mr. Jack Skarratt. It was then purchased by Mr. Bernie Ratzlaff who finished the restoration.

After its restoration it was shown at the 1997 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it was awarded First in Class and was a contender for the coveted Best in Show. It later received a Classic Car Club of America National First Prize at the California Grand Classic in 1998.

It was acquired by its next owner in 2000.

This Packard is extremely rare with its gorgeous body by Waterhouse. The Waterhouse Company created around 300 custom bodies during their short lifespan which lasted until 1933. Packard sales accounted for about 100 of those custom bodies. This example is very clean, void of side mounted tires allowing the elegant body to flow without disruption.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
Chassis Num: 49197
 
Sold for $170,000 at 2007 RM Auctions.
High bid of $160,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
The Packard Company built a tradition and reputation for style, durability, quality, and reliability. The eight-cylinder engine was very refined for the 1930 era. It was smooth, quiet and capable of carrying the vehicles at a respectable pace. The owners of a Packard were instantly recognized as higher class individuals as the vehicles personified success in every dimension.

The Eight Series Packard's were introduced in 1930 during a rough time in American history with the stock market crisis in full force. The world's economy was in question and during this time many businesses went into bankruptcy.

Though it was customary at the time, Packard made the decision to bring all body building in house, rather than outsourcing the work. This was done to eliminate the lucrative custom coach building commissions. To increase its position in the market, the company lowered its prices considerably. The prices were dropped and continued to drop over time. Sadly, this did little to boost sales.

Finding Eight-Series Packard's with custom coach bodies is very rare. The example shown has coachwork by the Waterhouse firm. Charles Waterhouse and his son created the Waterhouse Company in 1928. Located in Webster, Massachusetts, the firm had created a Convertible Victoria body for Packard in 1928 which was later shown at the Paris Motor Show. The vehicle was well received and the tight deadline that was given to Waterhouse was completed on time and done to perfection. Build quality was high and the style was astonishing. George Weaver was responsible for the design. The top was very impressive and could be folder almost flat with the low window sills.

This 1931 Packard Deluxe Eight Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars sale at Hershey, PA presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $235,000. It sold for just under the estimated value at $170,000 including buyer's premium.

It is powered by a 384.8 cubic-inch L-head eight-cylinder engine that produces 120 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual transmission and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. The styling of the Eight Series had a strong resemblance to that of the Seven Series, though there were a number of significant changes. The transmission was redesigned for quicker, smoother shifts from third to high. The Bijur lubrication system was now automatic. Several changes were made to the shocks and springs. The radiator shutter thermostat and linkage was changed, allowing for the assembly of the thermostat from the rear of the rad and a fuel pump was specified for all models. The most dramatic styling change over the Seven Series was the front and rear fenders, which were given a one-inch deeper skirt. On the interior, the dash featured a thinner steering wheels and wide chrome instrument bezels.

This vehicle was owned by the same family since 1948. It was originally purchased in Cumberland, Pennsylvania and spent most of its days in Salisbury, Pennsylvania. It is believed that this was one of the last, if not the last, 1931 Sport Phaeton constructed and, as such, was fitted with many 1932 appointments.

This car includes a Saddle Tan leather interior and dual cowl windscreen. It is a Junior National First Prize recipient, awarded in 1992 at the AACA National Spring Meet in Newark, Delaware. It has been treated to a restoration since new and driven less than five hundred miles since that time.

In 2009, this Packard Deluxe Eight Dual Cowl Phaeton was offered for sale at the Automobiles of Arizona auction presented by RM Auctions. The lot was estimated to sell for $250,000 - $300,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had failed to sell after reached a high bid of $160,000.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
Sport Phaeton
Chassis Num: 190898
 
Sold for $291,500 at 2008 RM Auctions.
The DeLuxe Eight Sport Phaeton chassis sold for $3,490 when new. It proved to be too expensive for all but a few select buyers. As a result, only a handful were ever built. This example is one of them; it is a left hand drive example that was restored in 1978 by Blue Ridge Restoration in Virginia. In 1984, it was purchased by Philip Wichard, a noted collector. It was acquired by Swiss collector Albert Obrist in 1995 after wichard passed away. In 1999, it became part of the Ecclestone Collection. It was sold in 2007 to its present owner.

In 2008, this vehicle was offered for sale at the 'sports & Classics of Monterey' presented by RM Auctions. It had an estimated value of $250,000 - $350,000. It was sold for $291,500 including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
Roadster
Chassis Num: 188801
 
The Packard Eighth Series was introduced in 1930 with the Standard Eight engine displacing 319.2 cubic-inches and producing 100 horsepower. The Deluxe Models had a 384.8 cubic-inch engine and 120 horsepower. During that year more than 6000 Deluxe Eights were produced. The following year, as The Great Depression worsened, only 2016 examples created. Packard was soon left with a surplus of product, as the cars were left unsold.

In 1932 the Ninth Series was introduced. An upgrade kit was created at the same time to update the unsold 1931 and help dealers reduce inventories.

This 1931 Packard Deluxe Eight Roadster has been outfitted with the upgrade kit, including the 1932-style grille, horn and bumpers. The odometer currently reads 19,187 and it has been treated to a complete restoration. The engine and transmission were overhauled in 1996-1997. The speedometer has been converted to metric gearing and the differential to high-speed gears for long-distance touring. The car has its original trunk, rack, mounted on the luggage, a single Pilot Ray driving lamp that turns with the front wheels, a cover for storage, canvas top, side curtains and full cockpit cover.

This car has rallied extensively in France, Germany, and Switzerland. In 1998 it was entered in the FIVA Paris-Reims-Burgundy-Oreleans-Paris rally. It was shown at the 2003 Concours d'Elegance at the Raid Basel in Paris where was awarded a first prize.

This car was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held at Meadow Brook where it was offered without reserve and estimated to fetch between $150,000 - $200,000. It is powered by a 384.8 cubic-inch L-head eight-cylinder engine and capable of producing 120 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel mechanical brakes. At auction this car was sold for $195,500, proving the estimate to be accurate.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
All Weather Town Car
 
This is a one of a kind Town Car built on a 1931 Packard 840 chassis, originally built for Mme. Emily Burroughs of Paris, France. The car features a deluxe straight eight engine, 385 cubic inches. The body has a roll-up window between the passenger seats, jump seats, a speaking tube to communicate with the driver and a roll-up top to shelter the driver in bad weather.

The car was totally restored in 1986. The car has been judged at 100 points many times and has been awarded several first in class at several concours passenger and driver's compartment, reclining events.
Roadster
Chassis Num: 190178
 
Sold for $159,500 at 2011 RM Auctions.
The Packard Speedster, built in 1929 and 1930 (only), was patterned after a boat-tailed roadster built in 1928 by chief engineer Jesse Vincent. The Packard Deluxe Eight had the shorter and lighter Standard Eight chassis with the more powerful Custom Eight engine. A production version was introduced in February of 1929, first as a rumble-seat roadster, followed by a four-passenger phaeton and a sedan. Selling for about twice the price of a Standard Eight, only around 70 examples of the Speedster were constructed.

For 1930, the Speedster line expanded, with the addition of a two-passenger boat-tail runabout and a victoria. There were two engines offered, a detuned 125 bhp unit and a more powerful 145 bhp with high compression head, finned manifold, larger valves and twin-choke carburetor. Top speed was over 100 miles per hour.

The Eighth Series Packards were introduced on August 14th of 1930. Deluxe Eights rode on two wheelbase sizes, a 140.5-inch platform for the open and five-passenger closed cars as well as the Individual Custom models and 145.5 for the seven-passenger sedan and sedan-limousine.

More than 6,000 Deluxe Eights were produced during the 1930 model year, followed by 2,016 the following year. The Ninth Series 1932 models were introduced in June 1931, and the factory began producing kits to update unsold 1931s to the new look to help dealers reduce inventories.

This Deluxe Eight Roadster was purchased by the current owner in the early 1970s. It is a 'black plate' California car in excellent condition. 'Black plate' refers to the California license plates of 1963-1969, which remain valid when documented to the car for which they were originally issued.

The car is fitted with chrome wire wheels, chrome side-mount covers, a rear-mounted trunk and a spot light on the driver's side.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale in Monterey, Ca. presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $175,000-$250,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $159,500, including buyer's premium.
Raymond Dietrich was the individual responsible for designing some of the great Packard masterpieces. He began working for the Packard Automobile Company in 1925 under the direction of Alvan Macauley, the president of the company at that time.

Dietrich had attended Mechanics Institue for four years developing his skills in areas such as drafting, illustrating, body surface development, and airbrushing techniques. He had also spent time at the American Banknote Company doing work as a line sketch artist. This, coupled with natural skill, creativity, and ambition were the ingredients needed to bring about the great artistic creations that help secure Packards fame in history.

Alvan Macauley commisioned Dietrich to help produce an in-house line of custom bodies, rather than having independent coachbuilders perform the work else where. This created a profitible and exclusive line of Packards, while still maintaining a reasonable price. This did not eliminate the custom coachwork done by builders such as LeBaron, Rollston, Murphy, Fleetwood, Judkins, and Holbrook; rather, it introduced a marketing strategy that was brilliant and very successful.

This 1931 Packard Eighth Series was one of the last designs Dietrich did for the Packard company. Due to reogranization and management changes, Dietrich resigned in September of 1930.

The 1931 Packards began producing in August 1930 with the 826, 833, 840, and 845. The 826 sat atop a 127.5 inch wheelbase, the 833 on a 134.5 inch wheelbase, the 840 on the 140.5 inch wheelbase, and the 845 on the 145.5 inch wheelbase. With a longer wheelbase, the 840 and 845 were built to transport seven passengers. Due to the great depression, sales were slow even with the prices marked less from the prior year.

The 1931 Packards featured larger hubcaps, deeper fender lines, thicker running boards, modified steering wheels and bumpers; different from the 1930 model year. The Delux Eights received engine modifications and in doing so, an increase in horsepower.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
Sport Phaeton
Chassis Num: 188351
Engine Num: 189820
 
Sold for $121,000 at 2009 RM Auctions.
For 1931, Packard built just 626 examples of the Super Eight. This Sport Phaeton is one of those examples, produced during the abbreviated 1931 production run and benefits from the 1932 upgrade kit. (Packard offered to dealers to upgrade unsold 1931 models with the 1932 attractive features.) The upgrade kit included externally mounted horns, large bumpers, twin taillights, headlights that replicate the unique Packard radiator shape and a V-shaped radiator shell. This new V-shaped grille was Packard's first departure from the flat radiator of the years past.

This Sport Phaeton is fitted with chrome-plated wire wheels, a rear tonneau windshield, a stone guard, fender-mounted marker lamps with integral rear view mirrors, wind wings, dual rear-mounted spare tires, and dual windshield-mounted spotlights. It wears an older high-point frame-off restoration and has been well taken care of and seen little use since that time. It is painted in two-tone paint finish with a brown convertible top with leather binding, and chocolate brown leather interior.

This Model 840 Super Eight Sport Phaeton is powered by a 384.8 cubic-inch L-head eight-cylinder engine offering 120 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual transmission and four-wheel mechanical brakes.

In 2009, this Super Eight was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey presented by RM Auctions where it was estimated to sell for $120,000 - $160,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $121,000, including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2009
Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
 
The year 1931 was the last year for the famous flat-front Packard radiator, which was the company's durable trademark. This handsome example is powered by Packard's famous 385 cubic-inch straight-eight engine coupled to a four-speed transmission; it featured automatic chassis lubrication and was the first Packard to use a fuel pump in place of the old vacuum-tank system.
In 1930 Packard was the prestige marque in America. Justly renowned for the smooth power of its eight cylinder engines, the stately ride of its quality chassis and the uniform excellence of its materials and manufacture, owning a Packard was a statement of success. More than that it was a tangible reward, recognition in comfort, quiet performance, style and luxury that the Packard owners could enjoy on a daily basis. Packard's successful advertising campaign, 'Ask the man who owns one' acknowledged, not only for their clients but also for the larger world, that Packard owners were trendsetters whose opinions mattered.
Introduced in August 1930, the Eighth Series Packards reflected, but still did not fully recognize, the transformation in both the world's economy and the automobile market which was being wrought by the stock market crash of October 1929 and the ensuing economic depression. The effect of the Crash was still being assessed, and every positive development in the economy and financial markets was seized as indication that things weren't as bad as they might seem, or were going to get better. There had been no time following the Crash for Packard to make substantial changes in its models or product lines. There were alterations, however, including more power by adopting the improved cylinder block wîth larger intake and exhaust ports of 1930s 734 Speedster in the Deluxe Eights along wîth larger intake and exhaust manifolds. Vacuum tank fuel feed was replaced by a mechanical fuel pump and chassis lubrication was now automatic rather than by hand pump.
More significantly, Packard completed its long term plan of substantially consolidating all custom body building in its own coachworks. Long planned as a way of heightening Packard's market position and capturing the lucrative custom coachbuilding commissions, it instead became a way of keeping Packard staff employed as sales volumes plummeted. The financial crisis in the nation and in luxury automobiles in particular was hard to miss and Packard responded in the only way its lead times and design cycles allowed: it lowered prices. The five passenger 840 Sedan price dropped over 15 from the comparable Seventh Series model at introduction, then dropped again in September. But if it was any help the effect was invisible as sales all but stopped.
Between the Depression and Packard's consolidation of custom coachbuilding in its own shops, Eighth Series Packards wîth coachbuilt bodies are exceedingly rare. One of those favored wîth a Eighth Series commission was Waterhouse. Established only in 1928 by Charles Waterhouse and his son in Webster, Massachusetts, Waterhouse had constructed a Convertible Victoria body for Packard in 1928 for the marques' display at the Paris Show. Built on a nearly impossible schedule, it was based on a design which Waterhouse designer George Weaver created from a photograph of a similar style supplied by Packard. Subsequently, Waterhouse became renowned for its Convertible Victoria designs which employed ingenious top mechanisms that folded almost flat wîth the low window sills.
The design and execution of the Waterhouse Convertible Victorias is something special. With their low window sills and lowered rear body to clear the folded top, they are sporting but at the same time refined and elegant. Typically executed by Waterhouse on long wheelbase chassis, such as the 140 1/2 inch Packard 840, the passenger compartment ends almost exactly at the rear wheels' centerline, accenting the long, clean lines of the Packard 840 and its long, sweeping front fenders.
Firmly entrenched at the top of the luxury car market in America, Packard's reputation also was strong internationally. In 1930 Packards accounted for fully a third of all the exports of ÚS built cars valued over $2,000.
One of them was this outstanding 1931 Packard 840 Deluxe Eight wîth Convertible Victoria coachwork by Waterhouse. Delivered on November 11, 1930 by R. Gonzalez & Company in Montevideo, Úruguay, the original purchaser of this Packard is unknown. One story says it was ordered by the national government for the then-President of Úruguay, Gabriel Terra. Another recounts that it was ordered by a wealthy vintner who specified the Waterhouse Convertible Victoria body. What is known is that it returned to the ÚS in the mid-Seventies where restoration was begun by Tom Sparks in the following decade for then-owner Mr. Jack Skarratt.
Once the rolling chassis was completed, Skarratt took the car and drove it through 18 full tanks of gas while adjusting, tweaking and developing the chassis, drivetrain and brakes for perfect operation. It was then purchased by Mr. Bernie Ratzlaff who had the chassis, now somewhat used after Skarratt's driving and perfection of its operation, re-restored as well as completing restoration of the beautiful Waterhouse coachwork. When the restoration was finished it was presented at the 1997 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it captured First in Class and was a contender for Best in Show. It was subsequently awarded a Classic Car Club of America National First Prize at the California Grand Classic in 1998.
Carefully preserved by its present owner since its acquisition in 2000, the 1930 Packard 840 Convertible Victoria by Waterhouse is a stylish, sporting and elegant automobile of the highest quality. Its length and the low body are accentuated by placement of its dual spare tires at the rear. Free of the incursion of sidemounted spares, the long, sweeping front fenders of the 840 are seen to best effect and it carries its chrome wire wheels wîth white sidewall tires well. A silver accent down the body side and the chrome trim along the lower body edge subtly complement the body's lines.
The brown leather trimmed interior is equally enticing. Charles Waterhouse's son Osborne had been in charge of the woodworking department of another coachbuilder and the beautifully grained wood trim atop the dash, up the windshield posts and along the window sills attests to his skills.
An automobile of rarity and distinction, this 1930 Packard 840 has been restored not only to the highest concours standards of fit and finish but also carefully developed to function superbly. It has been judged as the best of the best at Pebble Beach and in CCCA Grand National competition, then carefully maintained by succeeding owners to maintain it in pristine condition.

Source - Christies
Roadster
Chassis Num: 188875
 
High bid of $200,000 at 2012 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
On August 14th of 1930, Packard introduced their Eighth series and gave them the designation, the 826, 833, 840 and 845, with large hubcaps, three-spoke steering wheel and deeper sweeping fenders with plain bumper clamps.

Packard produced a Speedster from 1929 and 1930 followed by a rumble seat roadster for 1931, with body style number 472. It would be the final true Packard roadster, as later models would have roll-up windows.

Unfortunately, the world was entering the Great Depression and Packard sales reflected this economic hardship. Sales dropped from 28,386 in 1930 to 12,922 in 1931, sliding as far as 6,265 in 1934 before the lower price Model 120 was introduced in 1935.

Packard introduced the Ninth Series cars early on June 17th of 1931. In an attempt to sell-off their leftover Eighth series cars, the Standard Eight roadsters were cut from an introductory price fo $2,425 in September of 1930 to as little as $1,985 a year later, and salesmen would throw in wire wheels and other options to close the deal. To sweeten the deal even further, Packard even provided updating kits to make the Eighth series look like the Ninth, with V-radiator, outside horns, grille ad headlight bar and twin taillights.

The Eighth Series cars received mechanically improvements over their Seventh series siblings, thanks (in-part) to the larger intake and exhaust ports and the three-piece manifold, which featured a cylindrical heater chamber to preheat the mixture.

This Packard Rumble Seat Roadster was the recipient of a thorough and extensive restoration. It is finished in silver with a black beltline and red pin-striping. The black soft top has red piping, and the interior is well-finished in red leather, with clear gauges and well-finished wood trim. There are a number of options fitted to this vehicle, including twin side-mount spare wheels with covers and mirrors, wind wings and turning Pilot Ray driving lights on the front bumper and separate hand-held spotlights by the windshield. There is also a chrome grille guard and the radiator is crowned with the Goddess of Speed. The wire wheels have chrome spokes and painted rims and there is a rear-mounted luggage rack.

In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $250,000 - $300,000. Bidding reached $200,000 but was not enough to satisfy the vehicle's reserve. It would leave the auction unsold.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
Roadster
 
This is a 1931 Packard 840 Deluxe Roadster and only 154 of these were produced. It was the last year Packard offered Roadsters as sales were off because of the depression and the public preferred convertibles at this time. They had roll-up windows.

The car is powered by a 120 hp, in-line 8-cylinder, 384.8 cubic-inch engine. The 4,343-pound roadster rides on a 140.5 inch wheelbase and sold new for $3,490.

This roadster received a factory upgrade to make it look like a 9th Series Packard and, therefore, easier to sell. It had a V-radiator shell and light bar. It has a 9th Series horn, bumpers and tail lights. This kit cost to the dealer $500 and the dealer's markup on these vehicles was $500 so if he could sell this leftover for list, he broke even.

In April 1932, a doctor in the Bronx bought the car for list price. That's 9 months after the introduction of the 9th Series and no roadsters were available. Many roadsters, throughout the years, were sold to fire departments for use by their chiefs. The Philadelphia fire department bought five roadsters for their battalion chiefs.
Sport Landaulet
 
From 1899 until 1958, the Packard Motor Car Company produced some of the most highly-regarded luxury automobiles in the world. Production of the Eighth Series began in August 1930. The 840 was one of four new models, which received larger hubcaps, a three-spoke steering wheel, and larger running boards. It also inherited sweeping fender line of the 734 Speedster.

In 1930, Packard decided to enter the custom body-building business, competing, in effect, with custom coachbuilders such as Judkins, Brunn and Dietrich, believing that there were additional profits to be made.

These in-house customs were marketed as Individual Customs by Packard dealers but sales never took off. Very few were made after 1931. This car, in fact, remained unsold until June 1933, when it was sold by Packard's Washington dealer. The coachwork of this 1931 All-Weather Sport Landaulet, 840-121, was created not by a custom coachbuilder but by Packard itself, through its individual Custom program headed by R.B. Birge, the former vice president and general manager of LeBaron. There were only about 244 custom-bodied cars built on the 840 chassis, including those produced by coachbuilders Dietrich and LeBaron. It is believed that only five true individual Customs have survived, making 840-121 a rare sight.

The Deluxe Eight was powered by Packard's legendary in-line eight-cylinder motor that developed 120 horsepower from its 384.8 cubic-inch displacement. The side-valve straight-eight had modified intake and exhaust passages to provide more power. The non-synchronized manual four-speed transmission was improved with a quick-shift mechanism to reduce the effort of changing gears.

When this car was sold in 1933, due to the effects of the Depression, it was modified to become a wrecker, and later left to rust. This rare Packard was restored over a ten-year period from a 'basket case' that had been left in the field to rust away. It has since received top honors at Packard Automobile Club meets. The car is finished in its original colors described in a factory letter: 'Pembroke Gray, San Quentin Gray, and a Smoke Gray pinstripe.'
Convertible Coupe
Engine Num: 189082
 
Sold for $110,000 at 2013 RM Auctions.
Sold for $126,500 at 2013 RM Auctions.
More than 6,000 Deluxe Eights were produced in the 1930 model year, and only 2,016 were built for 1931. This Deluxe Eight Convertible Coupe was delivered new to Earle C. Anthony distributorship in Los Angeles, and is believed to have spent most of its life on the West Coast. Nathan Derus found the car outside a garage in Venice, California, then-owned by Herb Wildman, in the late-1960s. It was restored several years later by Hal Orchard, of Santa Ana, California. Later in the 1980s, the engine was rebuilt. During the restoration, the rear axle was given 3.54:1 gears to facilitate modern traffic and long-distance touring.

This car is finished in light and dark grey and rides on red wire wheels. There are dual side-mounts and whitewall tires. The interior is black leather and there is burl wood grain on the dashboard and window trim.

By Daniel Vaughan | May 2013
Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
 
For 1931 Packard produced two series of cars, their models 826 and 833 called the Packard Standard Eight, and the models 840 and 845 called the Packard DeLuxe Eight. Their series descriptions explained that the cars were Packard's 8th series straight eights, and the final two numbers indicate the wheelbase length. Hence this 8th series Deluxe Eight rides on a 140 inch wheelbase as is one of approximately 100 of its body type built in 1931. It was originally delivered to its first owner in Seattle.
Sport Phaeton
Chassis Num: 149659
 
Sold for $170,500 at 2010 RM Auctions.
High bid of $165,000 at 2014 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
The Packard Model 840 and Model 845 Deluxe Eights rested on a long, 140-inch wheelbase which provided an outstanding platform for the custom coachbuilders of the era. This example is a Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton that has a known history documented by a letter from the daughter of its original owner. The car was owned by Mr. Edward Hintzpeter who purchased it from a dealer in Evanston, Illinois, in 1931. He sold it in 1972 to collector Gifford Oborne. The car would remain with Mr. Oborne until his death in 1986, at which point it was acquired by the Winross Collection. At the time, it was in remarkable, unrestored, and original condition. The new owner elected to undertake a comprehensive professional restoration, which would consumed more than 8,000 hours. Upon completion, the car was finished in blue with orange wheels, a tan top, and a lilac chassis.

The Winross Collection was disbanded in the mid-1990s and this car was purchased by Greg Gallacher. Mr. Gallacher showed the car extensively, earning numerous accolades, including an AACA National First Junior in 1993 and a Grand National First Senior in June 1998. In 2001, it was recognized at the Packard Club National Meet with both Best in Class and the Alvan Macauley Award for Best in Show.

The next owner was David Kane, who purchased the car in 2005 and began to upgrade it immediately. It was given a new top, along with a matching boot and side curtains. The color of the top was changed to black, and the orange belt line was repainted to match. The wheels were changed to blue to match the body. Kane sold the car into a large private collection, from whose estate the Packard was acquired by its current owner.
The Packard has dual side-mounts, wind wings, and Packard's accessory mascot, Daphne at the Well.

By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
The Packard 845, the Deluxe Eight model, also called the Eighth Series, was introduced August 14, 1930. This model had very few noticeable changes from the earlier 1930 models. A total of 3,345 units were manufactured during its production run.

The engine in the Packard 845 was eight cylinder, in-line, and could achieve 120bhp with a single carburetor. The gearbox was a 4-speed manual, and had live axle with semi-elliptical leaf spring suspension. The left hand drive vehicle had four wheel mechanically-actuated drums.

With a policy much like Ford's or General Motors, Packard had a completely different motivation. Rather than seeking to exploit the economies of scale, their huge volumes made possible and controlled their suppliers' ability to dictate prices. Packard kept a goal to maintain the quality and integrity of its automobiles, by ensuring that each model was built to the highest standards from carefully controlled, while inspecting materials and components.

Packard Motor Company moved steadily to integrate its operations to manufacture its own models as much in its own facilities. Packard's own coachworks benefited much from this. Clients for coach-built Packard's were both willing and able to pay the cost for exclusivity, which is what they received from Packard Automotives. Packard made no secret that it priced chassis for coach-built bodywork at ample markups. They kept arrangements with Hibbard & Darrin, Dietrich, Inc. and other various consultant designers that made sure to keep a fresh stream of up-to-date ideas aimed at Packard's own designers.

Packard's catalog kept these rapidly and tastefully incorporated ideas, and particularly into the individual custom catalog. Labeled custom bodies were also often built in Packard's own shop, before then being shipped to outside coachbuilders for final trimming, painting, and affixation of the coachbuilder's plaque.

This process was essentially streamlined in 1931. Usually limited to elaborate formal limousines, town cars and convertible sedans, the individually-specified and unique coach-built bodies for Packard's were very extremely rare.

The Deluxe Eight chassis was powered by the 120 horsepower, 385 cubic inch, nine main bearing Packard inline eight engine, and had a long wheelbase that measured 145 ½ inches. During the early years of the Great Depression, cost was an extremely crucial factor, and the attractive, contemporary designs in Packard's catalog made it highly unusual for a buyer to even consider a coach-built coupe, sedan, roadster or phaeton.-

The biggest and most impressive open car that was built in 1931, the 845's wheelbase was also longer and only available in both Sedan and Sedan-Limousine body lines. The 845 was also one of the most desirable body styles for the next few years, until it was taken off the market.

By Jessica Donaldson
For more information and related vehicles, click here

Postwar Ferrari Named Best of Show at 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe Named 'Best of Show' PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2014) -- Excited cheers echoed across the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links Sunday when a 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe was named Best of Show at the 64th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The car, owned by Jon Shirley of Medina, Washington, was the first postwar car to take the top award at the prestigious event in nearly five decades. It was also the first Ferrari to win. ...[Read more...]
RM Auctions Amelia Island Preview - 2014
{image20} RM Auctions, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles, will hold its Amelia Island, Florida, sale on March 8th at the Ritz-Carlton. As the official auction house of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's Amelia Island sale will feature a magnificent selection of more than 80 handpicked automobiles, with an emphasis on important and historic sports and racing cars, along with elegant coachbuilt classics. Full events details, including a frequently ...[Read more...]
Two Best of Show Winners : Similar Designs : Same Owner
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours d'Elegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top wears coachwork by LeBaron. In 2012, it won the Best of Show title (for an American car) at the Concours d'Elegance of America at St. Johns. The other car is a Packard 2 door Convertible Victoria with coachwork by Dietrich. It won this years Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Best of Show honors...[Read more...]
63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Names 1934 Packard 'Best of Show'
The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best of Show at the 63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, held Sunday on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links at Pebble Beach Resorts. The event showcased 248 cars from 36 states and 12 countries and raised $1,277,007 for charity. 'This Pack...[Read more...]
Cherished Classics From The Pettit Collection Will Be Offered Without Reserve
• The 1929 Duesenberg 'Blue J' and 11 collector cars from the William A. C. Pettit, III Collection will be sold at Gooding & Company's Pebble Beach Auctions
• Estate Proceeds will benefit the Shriners Hospital for Children®-Tampa
Gooding & Company, the acclaimed auction house celebrated for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, is honored to present the finest automobiles of the William A.C. Pettit, III Collection at its Pebble Beach Auctions on Aug...[Read more...]
180
200
250
3-35 Fourth Series
300
38
645
745
845
Caribbean
Cavalier
Clipper
Custom Eight
Eight
Four Hundred
Model 18
Model 30
Model F
One-Twenty
Patrician
Six
Super Deluxe
Twelve

© 1998-2014. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.