|2005 LS||2007 LS460|
Image credits: © Lexus.
2006 Lexus LS news, pictures, and information
LS Chronology -2006LS Chronology - MILESTONES
• Fall 1984 – The 'F1' project is well underway. 'F1' is Toyota's code for flagship luxury car of the highest order. Shoiji Jimbo and Ichiro Suzuki head a large engineering team to develop this ultra important new car.
• May 1985 – Lexus conducts its first study of the American market wîth a team headed by Jimbo attending focus groups and interviewing dealers in major markets. A separate five-person team moves to Laguna Beach, California to study lifestyles and integrate design concepts suited for American customers.
• July 1985 – The first of 450 running prototypes is built, representing the work of 60 designers, 24 engineering teams, 1,400 engineers, 2,300 technicians and 220 support workers.
• May 1986 – Tests are conducted on the Autobahn in Germany.
• September 1986 – Ten months of extensive evaluation on American roads begins, resulting in numerous improvements in line wîth Ú.S. environmental and customer needs.
• May 1987 – The final design of the F1 is approved after eight previous presentations to management—far more than customary.
• August 1988 – Roger Penske, the renowned racing team owner and soon-to-be Lexus dealer, goes to Japan to test-drive the F1.
• November 1988 – The F1 is designated the LS 400, 'LS' meaning Luxury Sedan and '400' the 4.0-liter V8 engine.
• January 1989 – The LS 400 makes its American debut at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit and the Los Angeles Auto Show.
• May 1989 – The first production LS 400 rolls off the assembly line at Lexus' Tahara plant in Japan.
• September 1989 – The LS 400 goes on sale to the public and is very well received. In the first month 2,919 LS 400s are sold.
• December 1989 – Lexus initiates a special service campaign. Although aware of only one consumer contact regarding a cruise control malfunction and several complaints of stoplight housing distortion, Lexus elects to recall all 8,000 LS 400s sold to check items. Dealers contact owners individually and quickly make repairs. Rather than being viewed negatively, Lexus is credited wîth setting a new standard in personalized service.
• September 1992 – A 'freshened' LS 400 debuts wîth more than 50 changes, many as a direct response to dealer and customer requests.
• November 1994 – A completely redesigned second generation 1995 LS 400 goes on sale.
• March 1997 – Lexus and Coach, the renowned manufacturer of distinguished leather products, announce the production of a distinctive limited edition LS 400 sedan. (concept carz)
• September 1997 – Lexus introduces a redesigned LS 400 featuring a Variable Valve Timing wîth intelligence (VVTi) engine for higher performance, dozens of additional features and freshened styling. Despite the numerous upgrades, the LS price remains the same as the previous year, enhancing its overall value.
• January 2000 – Lexus unveils the 2001 LS 430 flagship sedan at the NAIAS in Detroit.
• October 2000 – The LS 430, the third generation Lexus flagship sedan, goes on sale. In addition to upgrading its V8 to 4.3 liters, the new vehicle sets a new benchmark for luxury and technology. Features include Intuitive Park Assist, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, heated/cooled front seats and a beverage cooler between the two rear seats. The 2001 LS 430 also offers a Mark Levinson sound system, which makes Lexus the first and only automaker to offer an OEM mobile audio system designed by Levinson.
• September 2003 – The LS 430 debuts as a thoroughly revised model for 2004, wîth exterior restyling, a new 6-speed automatic tran(SM)ission and additional safety and luxury features.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
The three generations of Lexus LS sedans have garnered more awards for quality than any other luxury car and have won the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Index study (VDI) every year the vehicles have been eligible.
• January 1990 – The LS 400 finishes first in all categories, including overall satisfaction, in Car & Driver's 1990 New Car Buyers study.
• February 1990 – Motoring Press Association names the LS 400 'Best Imported Car of the Year.'
• March 1990 – The LS 400 is awarded the 'Best Luxury Car' title in MotorWeek's Drivers' Choice Awards.
• July 1990 – In the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study(SM) (IQS), the LS 400 ranks fourth overall and second in its §egmènt during its first year of eligibility.
• May 1992 – The LS 400 is named the most problem-free vehicle in J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM).
• June 1992 – The LS 400 tops J.D. Power and Associates Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Study(SM), which gauges satisfaction after one year of ownership.
• December 1992 – Personal Finance lists the LS 400 as the best buy in the $30,000+ category.
• March 1993 – American Automobile Association (AAA) names the LS 400 as the best 1993 model in its price range.
• March 1993 – Consumer Reports calls the LS 400 'Benchmark of Quality.'
• May 1993 – Lexus sweeps the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM) wîth the LS 400 and SC 400/300 finishing first and second, respectively, wîth the fewest reported problems. Lexus is once again the top nameplate in the study.
• June 1993 – Robb Report names LS 400 the 'Best Import Car for 1993.'
• February 1994 – The LS 400 is named 'Best Overall Value of the Year' in the over $40,000 luxury class by IntelliChoice.
• May 1994 – The LS 400 tops the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM) again wîth an astoundingly low 32 problems per 100 vehicles.
• December 1994 – The all-new LS 400 is designated 'The Best of What's New' by Popular Science.
• January 1995 – The Lexus LS 400 receives Popular Mechanics' '1995 Design & Engineering Award.'
• March 1995 – In the J.D. Power and Associates VDI(SM), the LS 400 registers the fewest problems of all individual vehicles in the last 12 months after five years of ownership.
• May 1995 – Strategic Vision, a consulting and research firm measuring how consumers rate their cars in terms of least troublesome and most pleasurable ownership experiences, finds the LS 400 to be the 'Best of the Best' in the import luxury car category.
• June 1996 – Toyota Motor Corporation's Tahara plant, which builds the Lexus LS 400, captures the J.D. Power and Associates 'Gold Plant Award' among Asian manufacturing facilities.
• February 1997 – IntelliChoice names the LS 400 the 'Best Overall Value' in the Luxury Car class.
• April 1997 – The LS 400 sedan is ranked No.1 in the Luxury §egmènt of the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM). The LS also records the highest score among all cars and trucks in the study.
• June 1998 – The LS 400 again tops the Premium Luxury Car §egmènt in J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM). The LS earns the best score of any vehicle in the study, an honor it has achieved in five out of six years.
• September 1998 – The LS 400 earns the title of Most Appealing Premium Luxury Car in the J.D. Power and Associates APEAL Study(SM).
• May 1999 – The LS 400 receives top honors in the revised J.D. Power and Associates IQS.
• May 2000 – Once again the LS 400 comes out on top in the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM).
• September 2000 – The Lexus LS 430 receives the '2001 Design and Engineering Award' from Popular Mechanics.
• February 2001 – Automobile Magazine names the LS 430 an 'All Star' in the Best Luxury Sedan Over $40,000 category.
• April 2001 – Consumer Guide names the LS 430 a 'Best Buy.'
• May 2001 – Yet another top ranking for the LS 430 in the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM) wîth the fewest problems of any vehicle on the market.
• October 2001 – The LS 430 is named 'Most Appealing Premium Luxury Sedan' in the J.D. Power and Associates APEAL Study(SM).
• January 2002 – Edmunds.com names the LS 430 'Editors' Most Wanted Vehicle' in the large sedan under $55,000 category.
• March 2002 – The LS 430 named 'Finest Luxury Sedan in America' by Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc. (AMCI).
• April 2002 – The LS 430 named 'Top Performer in Premium Luxury' car §egmènt by the AutoPacific Vehicle Satisfaction Score (VSS).
• May 2002 – The LS 430 is the highest-ranked vehicle overall, as well as first in its §egmènt, for the sixth consecutive year in the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM). J.D. Power also awarded the LS 430's manufacturing facility, the Tahara Plant in Japan, the 'Worldwide Platinum Plant Award.' For the fourth year in a row, the Platinum Plant Award has been given to a Lexus factory.
• October 2002 – Edmunds.com names the LS 430 'Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles – Large Sedan Únder $55,000.'
• November 2002 – The LS 400 is the highest ranked vehicle in the Premium Luxury Car §egmènt in the J.D. Power and Associates VDI(SM).
• January 2003 – The LS 430 is named '2002 Prestige Luxury Car' in the R.L. Polk & Co. Automotive Awards.
• February 2003 – The LS 430 is awarded the Automotive Market Environmental Superiority (AMES) award in the Premium and Luxury Car category. The AMES awards were created to help encourage customers to purchase AMES-awarded vehicles to assist in the reduction of fuel consumption and emission of greenhouse gases.
• May 2003 – For the seventh consecutive year, the LS 430 ranked first in the 2003 J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM). On the manufacturing side, J. D. Power also awarded the LS 430's manufacturing facility, the Tahara Plant in Japan, the 'Worldwide Platinum Plant Award' for the second consecutive year.
• July 2003 – The LS 430 is the highest ranked vehicle in the Most Dependable Premium Luxury Vehicle category of the 2003 J.D. Power and Associates VDS for the ninth consecutive year.
• October 2003 – The LS 430 is the highest ranked vehicle in the Premium Luxury Car §egmènt of 2003 J.D. Power and Associates APEAL Study(SM), and received the highest score of any model surveyed. Since 2001, the LS 430 has been the highest ranking model in APEAL.
• February 2004 – The LS 430 is named the IntelliChoice 'Best Overall Value' in the Luxury Car §egmènt.
• May 2004 – AutoPacific announces the 2004 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards (VSA). The LS 430 registered highest overall satisfaction for a fifth consecutive year.
• June 2004 –The LS 430 ranks first in the Premium Luxury Car category of the J.D. Power and Associates 2004 IQS(SM).
• June 2004 –The LS 430 had the second fewest problems of any vehicle in the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM) behind the first place SC 430.
• December 2004 – The Lexus LS 430 is named a 'Best Buy' Premium Large Car by IntelliChoice.
• February 2005 – The Lexus LS 430 is awarded 'Best Overall Value' for cars over $23,000 by IntelliChoice.
• May 2005 – The Lexus LS 430 ranks second, after the SC 430, in the Premium Luxury Car §egmènt in the J.D. Power and Associates IQS(SM).Source - Lexus
|2014 Sierra Safety Alert Seat Aids Driver Awareness|
|• Haptic seat technology a first in full-size pickup segment|
DETROIT – The all-new 2014 Sierra arrives this summer with available advanced active safety features never offered to full-size pickup truck owners, including Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning. The manner by which alerts from the system are delivered to the driver is equally innovative, thanks to GMC's optional Safety Alert Seat. With the Safety Alert Seat, Sierra owners get feedback transmitted as ...[Read more...]
|Lexus Announces Pricing For All-New 2014 Is Sedan|
|• 2014 Lexus IS 350 priced 2.1% lower than the model it replaces • Price difference between IS 250 and IS 350 has been reduced by 33% versus outgoing models • Over $1,400 in previously optional equipment made standard for 2014 • Industry-first subscription-free real-time traffic and weather information on all multimedia systems TORRANCE, Calif. (April 29, 2013) – Lexus today announced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) for the all-new 2014 IS sedan, which will arrive ...[Read more...]|
|FORD ACHIEVES ALL-TIME HIGH HYBRID SHARE AND TOYOTA SLIDES, AS FUSION HYBRID CLOSES IN ON ANOTHER SALES RECORD|
|•Ford hybrid market share jumped nearly 9 percentage points from December 2011 to December 2012; Toyota's share of the hybrid vehicle segment dropped 8 points •Ford Fusion Hybrid achieved all-time monthly sales record in December 2012 with 3,244 sales; Ford hybrids expected to deliver best January hybrid sales month ever with a projected 5,500 units sold •More stylish and technology-laden Fusion Hybrid attracting younger buyers compared to the outgoing model and Toyota Camry Hybrid •Nearly...[Read more...]|
|BMW at the NAIAS Detroit 2013|
|Captivating looks laced with premium quality and groundbreaking innovations are the standout features of the models charged with continuing the success of the BMW brand into the future. The NAIAS 2013 in Detroit will see BMW presenting visitors with new models now entering series production and pioneering vehicle concepts combining technological progress, innovative forms and exemplary sustainability in a single package. BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe: more elegant, more dynamic, more individ...[Read more...]|
|Size Matters: EcoBoost Gives Ford the Industry Lead in Reducing Engine Size Without Giving Up Performance|
|•Ford offers seven vehicles with the smallest engines in their segments – more than any other competitor •Powered by EcoBoost®CO2 emissions while delivering the performance customers demand technology, Ford's smaller engines help reduce vehicle weight for better fuel economy and lower •Ford's smallest engine yet, the EcoBoost 1.0-liter three-cylinder, debuts in North America about a year from now For decades, size meant everything when it came to engines – bigger was better and there was no...[Read more...]|
|2006 Lexus models|
|Lexus RX 400h|
|Lexus RX 400h Paul McCartney Signature Edition|
|Lexus SC||2006 Lexus Concepts|
|Lexus LF-SH Concept|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2006|
|Acura RL A-Spec|
|Alfa Romeo 159|
|Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTDm|
|Alfa Romeo Brera|
|Alfa Romeo Spider|
|Audi Shooting Brake Concept|
|Other models by Lexus|
|Vehicle Recall Information|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|2006 Chicago Il|
|2006 Philadelphia International Auto Show|
|2005 LS||2007 LS460|