The Chrysler Town and Country was introduced by Chrysler Corporation in 1941. This was a debut of the first woodie wagon with an all-steel roof, and the car was dubbed the Town & Country. Production of the cars stopped during World War II. In 1941 and 1942, less than 1,000 were manufactured.
After the war, the Town & Country returned, and was produced in much larger numbers. Town and Country sedans, coupes, and convertibles were all produced from 1946 to 1950. Production of the original, woodie Town & Country ended in 1950.
Only 224 sedans were designated 1946 models, 2,641 were 1947s, and 1,175 were 1948s. A mere 100 of the 1946's were eight-cylinder models on the longer New Yorker wheelbase, the rarest production Town & Country of all.
It was no surprise that when Chrysler trotted out its all-new body design for 1949, T&C offerings were trimmed. Only an eight-cylinder convertible with considerably less woodwork was available.
Chrysler observed a milestone year in 1949; it marked the company's 25th anniversary as well as the introduction of its new postwar designs.
The new 1949 Town & Country line-up included wood-bodied four-door sedans and convertibles, although this was the last year for the convertible body style - 993 were built in 1949.
The Town & Country was powered by a 323 cubic-inch, 135 horsepower straight eight engine. It had a Fluid Drive semi-automatic transmission. Chrysler's new advertising theme for 1949 was 'Bigger on the inside, smaller on the outside.'
Sold for $123,750 at 2009 RM Auctions. Chrysler's Town & Country was an expression of status and the pinnacle of postwar glamour. Produced from 1946 through 1950, it was based on the New York chassis and produced in limited quantities due to its complexity and high exterior maintenance. Though the Chrysler brochure listed five Town & Country body styles, only two were widely available: the convertible and the four-door sedan. The first 1949 models were carry-over's from the 1948 year. Ads were quick to point out the company's 25th anniversary and its totally redesigned 'Second Series' which arrived in spring 1949.
Safety was a top priority and managed by a Safety-Level Ride, Safety-Rim Wheels and Safe-Guard hydraulic brakes. New styling features included flush front fenders and a large egg crate grille. Inside, there was an industry's first padded dashboard and Chrysler's first starter/ignition key switch. The Town & Country also featured a unique rear deck and taillights.
The wooden parts for the Town & Country came from Pekin Wood Products in Helena, Arkansas. They were shipped to Chrysler's Jefferson Avenue plant in Detroit for assembly. Prior to being fitted to the body, the wood framing was assembled. This process was difficult and time consuming, as it required extensive hand-formed contouring of the compound curved frames so they would properly adhere to the metal body parts correctly. Bodies included white ash framing over Di-Noc wood-appearing panels, the name used to describe a new form of decal resembling mahogany veneer, used late in 1947 in an effort to reduce costs and expensive maintenance. The later production cars did not have the Di-Noc, instead they were given body-colored panels.
This Town & Country is painted in Dark Green Metallic with black Haartz canvas roof. The interior is upholstered in a two-tone combination of tan Bedford Cord and green leather with tan wool hogshair carpet. The car was given an older restoration and has been conservatively driven over the years.
For 1949, only 993 convertibles were produced.
In 2009, this 1949 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $100,000-$120,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $123,750 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009
Chrysler introduced the Town and Country as a woodie wagon in 1941 but stopped production in February 1942 due to World War II. When production resumed in 1946, the Town and Country name graced a line of elegant convertibles, sedans and hardtops. Based on the New Yorker chassis, the bodies were framed in White Ash with Mahogany panels and required extensive fitting during assembly - essentially being hand-built cars and, as a result, production of Town and Country models ceased in 1950. For 1949, the Town and Country was only offered as a convertible and represented Chrysler's top-of-the-line vehicle. To reduce manufacturing costs and maintenance White Ash was now used over an all steel body with DiNoc wood grain decals in place of the Mahogany inner door panels. By late 1949 the decals were replaced by body color painted panels. Production of this vehicle totaled 993 units. It is powered by an 8-cylinder, 323 cubic-inch engine producing 135 horsepower and the 4,610 pound car sold for $3,765.
'Town and Country' was the model name Chrysler used for all of its genuine 'woodies' built from 1941 through 1950. In 1949, the only body style available for the Town and Country was a concertible, and only 1000 were built. This car is one of the last 50 built. The 'T&C' was constructed on a long 'New Yorker' 131.5 inch wheelbase, with a straight-eight engine and a semi-automatic 4-speed fluid drive transmission. This car received a full restoration in 1991, and is a joy to drive, being both comfortable and dependable.
Convertible Sedan Chassis Num: 7410049 Engine Num: C4614881
Sold for $99,000 at 2007 Christies. This 1949 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible was offered for sale at the 2007 Christie's Auction of 'Exceptional Motor Cars at the Monterey Jet Center.' It is finished in Thunder Gray with Di-Noc wood grain panels, red leather with beige Bedford cord interior and taupe top. It is powered by an eight-cylinder engine that displaces 323.5 cubic-inches and produces 135 horsepower. There is a fluid-drive semi-automatic gearbox and four wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
These vehicles were mostly hand built and rested on the New Yorker's chassis. The Town & Country Convertible had a base price of $3,765 which was a very expensive sticker-price at the time. Chrysler chose to discontinue the use of Di-Noc inserts part-way through 1949 in favor of painted steel panels.
This vehicle is number 49 of the roughly 1,000 convertible Town & Country's produced. Less than 150 of those are believed to have weathered the test of time. It has traveled only 26,000 miles since new and is in very good and original condition. The seats have been replaced since new while all other components are believed to be original.
At auction this vehicle carried an estimated value of $90,000 - $140,000, which proved to be accurate as a new buyer was found, and one willing to part with $99,000 to own this vehicle. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2007
Convertible Sedan Chassis Num: 7410729 Engine Num: C46-21451
Sold for $181,500 at 2009 Gooding & Company. Sold for $167,750 at 2010 Gooding & Company. The current owner of this Town and Country purchased it from an individual who had performed a painstaking nut-and-bolt restoration that is reported to have cost in excess of $300,000. The finger-jointed wood fits beautifully like fine furniture. Its light coloring perfectly contrasts with the burgundy color of the body. Inside there are many fascinating features like the signal-seeking radio.
In 2010, this Town and Country Convertible was offered for sale at Gooding & Company Auction held in Amelia Island, Florida. The car was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $225,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $167,750, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2010
Sold for $60,000 at 2016 RM Auctions. It is believed that this vehicle may have been the first production model Town & Country built for 1949. It is finished in Pearl Tan with a tan canvas roof and a red leather with tan Bedford cord upholstery. It has an older restoration that is still in good condition. Until recently, this Convertible was in long-term restoration in the collection Bernard Grissinger of Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2016
Produced only from 1941 through 1950, the first woodie wagon with an all-steel roof was designated the Town & Country. This 4-door sedan luxury vehicle was built for either city or estate transportation, and was available for 6 or 9 passenger versions.
Due to World War II, production of the Town & Country was halted in December, 1941. A mere 1,000 models were produced during 1941 and 1942. In 1942 the sheet metal was updated, and the design of woodie remained similar to its previous look.
Following the war, the new wave of Town & Country woodies were produced in much larger numbers as coupes, convertibles, sedans. The first production hardtops ever produced by any manufacture, seven 2-door hardtops were also manufactured by Chrysler. The final Town & Country woodie models were produced only as 2-door hardtops only for the last year.
In the last year of its production, a box type woodie station wagon was offered by both Chrysler and Desoto. Plymouth and Dodge also released box type woodie wagon throughout the 1930's and 1940's. In 1950, production of the original Town & Country was ended.By Jessica Donaldson
Cars that were the heroes of magical moments put their stamp on this high-powered, most comprehensive show presentation
With more than 30 vehicles, Mercedes-Benz Classic presents motor racing histor...