Coupe Chassis Num: 6500034 Engine Num: A1880145500024
Sold for $286,000 at 2007 Gooding & Company. The Mercedes-Benz 300 was produced from 1951 through 1958; they had a modern design with prewar traditional styling. They had excellent power and minimal weight and fitted with modern technologies. They had a conventional body on frame construction that was not as modern as the unit body construction, but it was a tried-and-true construction method. With this type of build, volume was low but the manufacturing quality was high. The front suspension was independent with A-arms and coil springs while the rear was the traditional Mercedes-Benz swing-axle setup with coil springs.
Under the bonnet was a new single overhead camshaft engine that displaced 2996cc.
The 300 Series were basically hand-crafted cars, luxuriously finished, and trimmed in the highest quality materials. They were elegant, safe, fast, and comfortable. Most of the chassis for the 300 Series measured 120-inches and had four-door coachwork. Between November of 1951 and March of 1962, around 11,430 examples were built. Of that, 707 were convertible sedans.
The 300 Series was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show. A short time later, a very different 300 - the 300S - was shown at the Paris Show. The 300S had a shorter wheelbase of 114.2-inches and powered by a more potent multi-carburetor engine offering 163 SAE. They had two-door coachwork and offered in both open and closed styles. At the time, it was the most exclusive automobile in the Mercedes-Benz lineup and intended for their most discerning clientele.
The 300S was produced from July of 1952 through April of 1958 with a mere 760 examples constructed. Only 98 were produced between 1955 and 1958.
In 1955, at the Paris Motor Show, Mercedes-Benz introduced the final iteration of the 300S, called the 300SC. It had a detuned version of the 300SL's Bosch mechanical fuel-injected engine rated at 200 SAE. A big improvement was the adoption of Mercedes-Benz's new low-pivot swing-axle rear suspension design which offered better performance at speed.
This 300SC Coupe has been restored since new and is finished in dark-blue paint. In 2007 it was brought to the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, CA where it was estimated to sell for $225,000-$275,000. Including buyer's premium, the high bid was $286,000. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008
Sold for $825,000 at 2013 Gooding & Company. The 300-Series Mercedes-Benz was introduced as a four-door sedan and convertible sedan. The design and development would provide the basic mechanicals of the competition cars that would soon follow: the 300SL racers of 1952 and the SL road cars of 1955. The 300 sedan was soon augmented by the 300 S at the October 1951 Paris Salon with coup, roadster, and cabriolet coachwork. These limited production, luxurious cars were given a three-carburetor engine offering 150 horsepower. For the 300 SL project, engineers were required to utilize the 300 S engine and to extract more power from the straight six. Mechanical fuel injection was developed and after proven its potential, was retrofitted into the 300 S line to create 200 very special 300 Sc cars, which was introduced in 1955. The limited 300 Sc models were rated at 175 hp using the German DIN criteria. They rode on a 2900mm (114-inch) platform with four-wheel independent suspension. The bodies were created by the craftsmen at Mercedes-Benz' Sindelfingen coachworks in the old-world style. They had copious use of chrome, intricate wood interior trim, luxurious leather upholstery, hand-formed panels, and tight-fitting folding tops. Top speed was in the neighborhood of 112 mph. In total, just 49 Cabriolet examples were built.
This 300 Sc Cabriolet was sold new to a physician in Laguna Beach, California. Little is known of its early history, though it is believed to have lived a very sheltered life. In 1986, a southern family purchased the Sc from the doctor's widow and has maintained it ever since.
The car wears its original shade of Light Blue (DB 334) paint as well as the gray leather interior. It has a Becker Mexico radio and Hirschmann antenna. It has never been comprehensively restored and th odometer shows just 34,500 miles, which are believed to be original. Inside, there is a wood dash, and gray leather seats and door panels.
In 2013, the car was offered for sale at Gooding & Company's Scottsdale, Arizona sale. It was estimated to sell for $400,000 - $450,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $825,000 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2013
This Mercedes-Benz 300SC was offered as a 2+2 coupe, cabriolet or roadster from 1955 to 1958. This 300SC is one of only 49 cabriolets produced. Its 2996cc 6-cylinder engine with Bosch mechanical fuel injectors produces 175 horsepower and is capable of powering the car to 112 mph. Clark Gable was the car's first owner, and his widow Kay Spreckles sold the car to its current owner in 1981.
Sold for $550,000 at 2014 Gooding & Company. Sold for $671,000 at 2015 Gooding & Company. The Mercedes-Benz SC models weighed nearly 4,000 lbs but were capable of 112 mph, putting them on par with some of the most expensive, limited-production gran turismos on the market, all while enveloping their occupants in serene luxury.
This 300 Sc Coupe was built early in the model's 98-car production run. It was delivered new to an American buyer in two shades of green. Little is known of its earliest years, the Sc was discovered in the mid-1980s in Minnesota, owned by a sugar beet farmer. It was purchased by Chuck Brahms. Soon thereafter, still in need of a restoration, it was purchased by a Southern California Mercedes-Benz enthusiast. The car was stored by the collector's friend Robin Onsoien, with the understanding that Mr. Onsoien would one day perform a concours-level restoration on the car for its owner. After twenty-years in dry storage a full restoration was begun in 2007.
The car was trimmed in Belgian-sourced hides and installed tan headliner and carpets. The engine was rebuilt, and scores of factory-correct parts were sourced from the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in Irvine. The exterior of the car was refinished in metallic burgundy.
The car has been driven just 350 miles since its restoration was completed.
The car is equipped with SL-type alloy-rimmed wheels, dual spares and two pieces of Karl Baisch fitted luggage in the trunk. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2014
Sold for $990,000 at 2013 RM Sothebys. Sold for $1,100,000 at 2015 RM Sothebys. Mercedes-Benz produced just 200 examples of the 300 Sc and were the true spiritual successor to the 500 K and 540 K. This example is a well-documented example, with known ownership since it was only a few years old. It is one of only forty-nine 300 Sc Cabriolets produced. It was delivered from the Mercedes-Benz factory on April 27, 1956, to dealer Schoemperlen & Gast of Karlsruhe, in southwest Germany. Reportedly, while in the original ownership of a Karlsruhe-area brewer, the car was seen by an importer from New Jersey while on a trip. Negotiations for its purchase soon proceeded and it was later transported into the United States. The importer sold the car to David Sieggrist. It was acquired from him in 1960 by Ben Halsell. Mr. Halsell retained the car until July of 1978, when he sold it to Alex Dearborn. Mr. Halsell added 39,000 kilometers to the odometer, for a total of 77,000.
Mr. Dearborn retained the 300 Sc for four years before passing it on to Michael Hall, of Newport Beach, California. Mr. Dearborn treated the car to a flawless restoration.
Following several intervening owners, the 300 Sc spent well over a decade in the collection of James Patterson in Louisville, Kentucky. Mr. Patterson treated the car to cosmetic work and any mechanical items needing attention were addressed.
The car is painted in dark blue paint and has a blue top and grey leather upholstery. The luggage remains in excellent condition and the current owner reports that it won Best in Show at the Lake Mirror Classic. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2015
The Mercedes-Benz 300S was an exclusive, expensive, and rare automobile. It was one of Mercedes-Benz's first all-new designs of the post-war era. It made its debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1951 and helped re-establish Mercedes-Benz's tradition of building high-performance luxury automobiles of the finest quality.
The lower and mid-priced Mercedes-Benz of the 1950s adopted a unitary chassis/body construction. The traditional separate frame was given to the 300 which enabled a wide variety of coachbuilt body types to be offered. The cross-braced, oval-tube chassis was similar to the 170S and 220 models, with an independent suspension setup in the front and back along with four-wheel drum brakes. It was given the refinements of hypoid bevel final drive, dynamically balanced wheels and remote electrical control of the rear suspension ride height.
The 300SL Sports Cars initially used a 3-liter, overhead-camshaft, six-cylinder engine with fuel injection and produced 115 horsepower. The succeeding 300B and 300C models received a boost in power, finally gaining fuel injection in the restyled 300D of 1957.
The Mercedes-Benz 300 was luxuriously appointed and trimmed with materials of the highest quality. These custom built cars were fast and elegant, and capable of carrying six passengers in comfort at high speeds.
In October of 1951, at the Paris Salon, the conservatively styled 300 Saloon was joined by the 300S (Super) in two-seater Coupe, Cabriolet and Roadster configurations on a shortened 300 saloon chassis. The 300S was lighter than the saloon and had more power, thanks in-part to triple Solex carburetors and a raised compression ratio.
The top offering of the series was the 300Sc. Power was from a 175 horsepower dry-sump engine equipped with Bosch fuel injection system. They had a revised rear suspension setup with single-pivot swing axles in similar fashion to the 300SL Roadster. Servo-assisted brakes, optional from 1954, were standard equipment.
Just 200 examples of the 300Sc were built over the 4 years of production, and just 53 of those were Roadsters.
This particular example is the 16th of 53 Sc Roadsters built and was delivered in their DB50 designated white paintwork, with black leather hides. When new, it was sent to New York where it was sold to its first owner.
In the mid-1990s, the car was given a restoration where its paintwork was changed in favor of the triple black scheme combination. It has a black exterior, black convertible top, and a black interior. The odometer currently shows a little over 500 miles since the restoration was completed. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016
Sold for $275,000 at 2006 Gooding & Company. This 1956 Mercedes-Benz SC Coupe is equipped with a 2996-cc overhead camshaft six-cylinder engine with Bosch Mechanical Fuel Injection that is capable of producing 175 horsepower. It has a four-speed gearbox and four-wheel independent suspension with coils springs and tubular shock absorbers. Since new, it has been treated to a professional restoration and finished in a dark-blue exterior. The gray leather interior and wood work have also been treated to a restoration that has brought them to concours condition.
The car came equipped from the factory with an authentic Becker Mexico radio, built-in luggage, and an optional folding rear seat.
It is one of only 98 examples produced. It was offered for sale at the 2006 Gooding & Company Auction held in Pebble Beach, CA where it was estimated to sell for $225,000-$275,000. The car was offered with a reserve, which did not seem to matter, as bidding settled at $275,000. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
Sold for $187,000 at 2007 RM Sothebys. This 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SC Coupe was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held in Amelia Island where it was estimated to sell between $180,000 - $220,000. The car is powered by a 2996cc overhead camshaft, fuel-injected six-cylinder engine capable of producing 175 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual column shift gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
Production of the 300 SC lasted from 1955 through 1958 with a total of 98 examples in coupe form being produced. The 300 was mostly hand built and created to a high degree of luxury. The highest quality of standards and materials were used during the construction.
This car was treated to a restoration in 1991 and lasted four years. After the restoration, the car participated in the Dekra Schwarzwaldrally (Black Forest Rally).
At auction, the car was sold for $187,000. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2007
The Mercedes-Benz 300 was produced from 1951 through 1958 and is one of the most graceful and classic creations of the post-World War II era. The style was both classic and modern and built to high standards. They were constructed from fine materials using the latest in technology and achieving minimal weight with a high degree of strength.
The 300 was built on a traditional body-on-frame construction as many other marque's, including most of the Mercedes-Benz line, had switched to unit-body construction. The body-on-frame construction was ideal for maintaining a high level of quality for vehicles produced in limited quantities. The front end was suspended in place through the use of an independent suspension with A-arms and coil springs. The rear was the tried-and-true swing axle with coil springs.
Under the bonnet was a 2996-cc six-cylinder engine with Bosch mechanical fuel injection that produced 175 horsepower. Considering the modest wheelbase size and the overall low weight of the vehicle, the 175 horsepower was more than enough to carry these custom-built vehicles at highway speeds with little effort. The car was fast, luxurious, safe, and comfortable.
From November of 1951 through March of 1962, there were 11,430 examples of the Mercedes 300 constructed. Most were built atop of a 120-inch wheelbase and with four-door configuration. Just over 700 were convertible sedans.
The 300 had been introduced at the Frankfurt Auto Show. Mercedes-Benz selected the Paris Auto Show to introduce the next iteration of the 300-Series, the 300S. This was a much sportier version that rode on a shortened, 114.2-inch, wheelbase and built in 2-door open and closed configuration. The engine was a multi-carbureted unit that produced just over 160 SAE horsepower.
The Mercedes-Benz 300S was a very fast automobile that still retained luxury, comfort, and style. Built in very limited quantities, it was an exclusive automobile.
Production of the 300S lasted from 1952 through April of 1958 with a total of 760 examples being constructed.
The final iteration of the 300-Series was the 300SC, which made its appearance at the 1955 Paris Auto Show. It was given a detuned version of the 300SL's Bosch mechanical fuel-injected engine and a new 'low-pivot' swing axle rear suspension. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
Large and luxurious, the Mercedes 300 series was built from 1951 until 1957 in its original form. The company's largest and most-prestigious models, the Mercedes-Benz Type 300 is considered a trademark of the era throughout the 1950s. With a 3 liter engine capacity, the name 300 said it all. Exclusive, expensive, elegant and full of power, the Type 300 vehicles were in an elite status all of its own. In a tribute to the Chancellor of Germany at the time, this series was often referred to as the Adenauer, after Konrad Adenauer. During his time as Chancellor, Adenauer used a total of six of these vehicles.
The main competition that the 300 Series faced during its production time was the less-expensive Ponton series. A large majority of the company's sales were directed in the area of this cheaper series. During the early 1960's, both the Ponton series and the Type 300 were eventually replaced by the 'Heckflosse' cars.
Available as either a sedan or cabriolet, the Type 300 was offered both with four doors, along with seating for six. With a more modern body, the 'W186' Type 300 was built on a pre-war chassis, yet it utilized a modern 3 L straight-6 engine. The most interesting feature was a rear load-levelling suspension that was operated by a switch on the dashboard. Many other luxury features were offered on this series, these included a VHF mobile telephone, a dictation machine and a Becker radio. The Chancellor's personal vehicle was equipped with a writing desk, sirens, a dividing partition, curtains, and many more features.
A special Type 300 Lang, Innenlenker model was a limousine version that rode on a 20 cm (7.9 in) longer wheelbase.
The Type 300 b was introduced with power brakes in 1954. In September of 1955, a larger rear window was featured on the Type 300 c. Also featuring a swing axle rear independent suspension, the Type 300 c was sold at $10,864 in the U.S. with the convertible available at an expensive $14,231.
In August of 1957, the B-pillar was updated for the hardtop look in the Type 300 d. With a total of 3,077 produced, the d was produced until March of 1963. Available with a compression ratio of 8.55:1 and Bosch fuel injection, the d produced 160 hp. The W112 300SE replaced the limousine version.
Mercedes-Benz's top-end vehicle in 1952 following its introduction, the 'W188' Type 300 S was available as a 2+2 coupe, cabriolet or roadster. Marketed as one of the top luxury vehicles in the world, the W188 was actually very similar mechanically to the more contemporary W186. The Type 300 Sc received the addition of fuel injection in 1955, along the same time that Mercedes-Benz's 'low-pivot' independent suspension was substituted. Dual chrome strips were placed on each side of the hood that denotes the 'Sc' model.
The 300 S line was an established Mercedes tradition, 2-door convertible and coupe versions of the limousine model. These models had a body built on a separate chassis, and were conventionally styled grand tourers. The SL, which stood for 'Sport Leicht', and can be broken down to lightweight sportscar, was introduced in the same year. Essentially a derivative of the ‘ordinary' Mercedes 300 series, there was really nothing ordinary about the 300 SL.
The vehicle that was responsible for re-establishing Mercedes-Benz as a formidable power in sports vehicle racing following World War 2, the 300 SL was introduced in 1952. Beginning as a thoroughbred road racing vehicle, the exotic 300 SL finished its career in 1963 as a very fast convertible for the wealthy.
Following such an impressive impact on car enthusiasts worldwide, there has continued to be an SL model in the Mercedes Range ever since. There has never been another SL model in the Mercedes range that has been able to live up to the prestige, engineering and styling of the original 300 SL.
Introduced at the 1953 Mille Miglia, where a total of 300 SL's took part in the event, the original 300 SL was first introduced as a contender for the famous road races of those days. One of the SL models took 2nd place, and another took 4th place, making a very impressive mark on viewers. This was only the beginning of many more racing successes soon after.By Jessica Donaldson
World debut for the restyled Maserati GranCabrio and European premiere for the GranTurismo at Goodwood Festival of Speed, on 29 June – 2 July 2017.
Maserati tells the story of 70 years of GranTurismo...
- Award-winning Jaguar XE sports sedan to arrive in U.S. Jaguar showrooms Spring 2016
- Lineup to include Jaguar XE 20d, 25t and 35t models selectively available in XE, XE Premium, XE Prestige and XE...