Sold for $264,000 at 2006 RM Auctions. World Driving Champion Phil Hill and Belgian Oliver Gendebien were seated behind the Ferrari 250 GTO when it made its appearance at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1962. The two were a little upset that they had been stuck in the GT class rather than sitting behind a prototype vehicle. At the drop of the checkered flag the duo had driven the 250 GTO to an astonishing second place finish overall behind the prototype Testa Rossa of Bonnier and Scarfotti. This would be one of many victories for the 250 GTO. By the time the 250 GTO was discontinued, it would have captured the World Manufacturer's Championship three years in a row.
Thirty-nine examples of the 250 GTO were built. The cost of a new 250 GTO would cost the buyer $18,000. This low production number and backed by the vehicles racing success has driven the cost of an original 250 GTO into the millions. In 1988 an original 250 GTO was sold at auction for $2 million. The price has continued to escalate. In an effort to replicate the car and offer near-originals to potential buyers, a select few were built upon existing Ferrari 250 chassis. The result were nearly flawless reproductions of the original cars.
The 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO bearing number 18 was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey, CA. It is a replica 250 GTO built atop a 1964 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso which has chassis number 5319GT.
The first owner after the replica process were two American brothers who purchased the vehicle for competition in vintage racing events. The vehicle did not live up to their standards so they commissioned Ferrari GTO expert Mark Gerisch of Manitowoc, WS to build a brand new body. Chassis number 3223 was used as a comparison model.
This replica was a unique opportunity to own a Ferrari 250 GTO. The cost of the replica is considerable less than an original. At auction the vehicle did find a new owner, selling for $264,000. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006
Ferrari 250 GTO with chassis number 4091GT was constructed on November 17th of 1962. It has had a very extensive and impressive racing career. It was purchased by Sergio Bettoja in 1962. In 1963 it was rebodied with a type 64 bodystyle. In 1964 it was purchased by Scuderia San Ambroeus.
In 1964 it was driven by Edoardo Lualdi in sixteen events including hillclimb competition. The cars first major accomplishment came in March of 1964 at the Coppa Gallenga Hillclimb when Lualdi drove the car to an impressive first place finish. A few weeks later the car was campaigned at the Stallavena-Boscochiesanuova hillclimb where Lualdi finished in second overall and first in class. In 1964 the car provided 6 first place victories for its driver. The lowest place that it finished in 1964 was in 4th overall.
In 1965 it was purchased by Clemente Ravetto. Ravetto continued the cars racing heritage by entering it in 9 competition events in 1965. The first event entered by Ravetto was in March of 1965 at the Coppa Gallenga Hillclimb. The car and driver finished in 13th overall and 3rd in class. In May of 1965 Ravetto entered the car in the Targa Florio. With drivers Ravetto and Starrabba di Giardinelli the car finished in 12th overall and 1st in the GT class. At the close of the session, the car was entered in the Coppa Nissena hillclimb where Ravetto drove the car to an impressive first place finish.
The car was sold in 1966 to A. Reale. Reale entered it into one hillclimb in 1966 where he finished sixth overall. He entered it in the Targa Florio a few months later.
In 1967 the car was sold to Carlo Armiraglio. Armiraglio entered the car in the 1967 Trieste-Opicina hillclimb and finished first in class.
In 1968 the car was sold to Taren. It passed ownership to Frederick Knoop in 1974 and soon after to Payne. In 1978 the car was in the ownership of Bob Epstein of Piedmont, CA. Epstein entered the car in the 1978 running of the Monterey Historic Races. In 1979 the car was sold to S. Bormann of the US.
In 1982 the car was sold to Peter G. Sachs of Stanford, CT. Since that time, Sachs has entered the car in numerous historic races including the Oldtimer GP at Nuerburgring where the car finished fifth in class. Other events include the 1982 20th anniversary GTO tour, 1984 Atlanta Vintage GP, 1987 25th anniversay GTO tour, 1991 Monterey Historic Races, 1992 30th anniversary GTO tour, and more. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2007
Only three cars were built using the original GTO chassis but sporting the new Series II or 250 GTO/64 body style. This example (chassis number 5575GT) was the last GTO of the 36 built. The new body was re-engineered by Pininfarina and built by Scaglietti. This car was raced by Ecurie Francorchamps with class wins at Le Mans and the Tour de France.
Ferrari created this first Series II car (chassis number 5571GT) in 1964, with the lower and shorter Pininfarina body built by Mike Parkes. The car won the Daytona 2000 km driven by Phil HIll and Pedro Rodriguez. It then raced at Sebring, LeMans, Reims and finally Nassau, again piloted by Phil Hill. This GTO was once owned by Bernie Ecclestone.
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.
Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.
Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.
The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).
The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.
The first 250 introduced was the 250S and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.
At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.
In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.
At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.
From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France' (TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.
Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.
There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.
In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.
The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.
Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.
For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.
For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.
For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.
The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
From 29 June to 2 July, West Sussex will host one of the most prestigious events of international motor sports – Goodwood Festival of Speed 2017. Making an appearance will be rare classic Alfa Romeo,...
Heading into the 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans it had become clear Ford was intent on taking the fight to Ferrari. Ford would spare no expense to take the fight to the company it had intended to buy. Ironically,...