Chassis Num: 1963GT
Engine Num: 1963GT
Sold for $4,950,000 at 2009 Gooding & Company
The California Spider
Towards the end of 1957, just as production of the 250 GT Cabriolet Series I was getting underway, another open-250 variant was being prepared wîth the intent of being aimed squarely at the all-important American market. Both Luigi Chinetti and Johnny von Neumann impressed upon Ferrari the need for a more focused, high-performance, dual-purpose car, similar to the Tour de France (TdF) and the forthcoming Short Wheelbase Berlinetta (SWB). The resulting car would possess a much more purposeful, aggressive presence – an unapologetic showcase of Ferrari's engineering prowess.
Even among this rarified group there is a continued, although rather one-sided debate as to which of the California Spider styles is most desirable. For example, while there is no performance gained from the use of covered headlights, a discriminating eye will immediately take note of the more attractive head-on appearance as well as the more cohesive design, wîth the beautifully styled headlamp covers contributing to the car's more elegant, flowing lines. In terms of outright performance, there is no mistaking that the SWB car has made a tremendous leap from the initial California Spider. Compare the dynamic qualities and specifications of a TdF and a SWB Berlinetta, and it is easy to understand why the SWB Spider is so sought after.
The mystique of these cars is as strong as ever, and the SWB California Spider stands atop as the ultimate evolution of these legendary Ferraris. The California Spider has it all: performance, style, exclusivity, rarity and significance. In 1960, if you were an enthusiast of exceptional means and were to choose one car to own, there is no question that a covered headlight, SWB California Spider would be the only acceptable choice.This Car
Finished at the factory in January 1960, 1963GT was the fifth of a total of 54 SWB cars ever produced, and one of a select few to receive the desirable covered-headlight treatment from the factory. Úpon leaving the factory, the car was also fitted wîth an optional hardtop. These were not merely off-the-shelf items, rather they were custom-ordered accessories specially designed to be integrated wîth the nearly flawless lines of the car. Úpon completion, the car was delivered to the Ferrari importer Auto-Becker in Düsseldorf, Germany.
Beyond this ideal specification, 1963GT was originally finished in white wîth black interior and a black hardtop – a sophisticated, tasteful and rarely seen color scheme. It is a rare instance when a white car can attract much more attention than a red car; however if there were a car that could do this, it would be a SWB California Spider wîth a factory hardtop.
Within two years of its initial delivery, the car was exported from Germany and sold to its next owner in Lugano, Switzerland. This proved to be a brief sojourn, as in April 1964 the car had returned to Italy to be serviced by the factory's Assistenza Clienti in Modena. At the time, the car showed 27,290 kilometers and was registered on Swiss license plates TI 11078 of the canton Ticino.
Two months later, Bob Jeffries of Joplin, Missouri, advertised the car for sale in Road & Track for the asking price of $10,500. After leaving Mr. Jeffries, the car remained in the Midwest for some time and six years later it was in the hands of Don Devin, a resident of St. Louis. A few years later, in 1974, Jim Southard of Classic Car Investments, in Smyrna, Georgia, was the proud owner of this California Spider.
In March 1976, 1963GT was advertised for sale by Mr. Southard in Autoweek. A copy of the advertisement is still wîth the car. 1963GT is described as being in beautiful condition and shown wîth its original hardtop, Borrani wire wheels and Talbot mirrors on both fenders, wîth a firm asking price of $16,750.
Ron VanKregten purchased 1963GT on August 3, 1976. The bill of sale still exists showing the local Ferrari dealer, Ferrari of Los Gatos, as the seller. It is possible that the dealership acted as a broker or that they had simply purchased the car from Mr. Southard.
Today, this California Spider looks remarkably similar to its 1976 advertisement. Although it had been repainted red some 35 years ago, the leather seats, carpeting and dash all appear to be as delivered by the factory in 1960. Even the original window felt is present in the doors. While showing a healthy age, the interior is complete and is actually quite presentable, a sure sign that this California Spider has lead an unusually charmed existence for a nearly 50-year-old sports car.
A glimpse into the engine bay reveals the original straight-row radiator, Marelli coils and generator and exhaust heat shields. Most importantly, 1963GT still retains its original engine and drivetrain. In the lower reaches of the engine bay, a few Cheney clamps can be seen, a sign that there has never been any drastic work done to the engine. One of the strongest testaments to the original, unspoiled condition of this car is that the entire radiator blind system is completely intact – surprising given the long time the car has spent in warm climates. Another great testament to the preservation of 1963GT is that the magnificent V-12 can even be turned over wîth its original ignition key. The history and authenticity of 1963GT have been documented by renowned Ferrari historian Marcel Massini and the report accompanies the car.
A California Spider is one of the few open cars to look as sporting wîth its top raised as it does when stowed. The top is complete and can be attached to the body wîth proper Tenax fasteners. The factory-delivered hardtop still fits snuggly and its unique design is a perfect complement to the crisp lines of the car. Over the years, it too has been painted red; however, it has been well preserved and still retains the vast majority of its original components and fittings.
The 1963GT retains its Marchal headlamps, fog lights and horn and it sports dual Talbot mirrors, proper Borrani wire wheels and a California blue plate, last registered in 1977. An examination of the rear compartment reveals correct carpeting in the trunk, a jack and holding the spare is an original tire strap. There is, however, a small area of rust behind the right rear passenger wheel that could be easily addressed in a forthcoming restoration.
Of all the cars Ron VanKregten added to his collection, this one clearly stands out above the rest. Every great collection has a centerpiece, and this collection has one of the finest imaginable. A covered-headlight SWB California Spider is one of the automotive greats, a car that has a timeless and universal appeal – everyone from the casual passerby to the die-hard automotive enthusiast cannot help but cast their eyes in the direction of such a masterpiece.
While much has been made about the California Spider recently, it would take a collector wîth impressive foresight, a discerning eye and an in-depth knowledge of automotive history to choose such a car more then 30 years ago. Ron VanKregten purchased one of the most original, unhurt examples of these prestigious cars and for the past three decades it has resided in his garage, kept out of public sight, waiting to be rediscovered. Today, this Ferrari, the ultimate barn find, is ready to find its next owner. This is an extremely exciting opportunity not to be missed, as it represents the chance to acquire one of the last unrestored California Spiders in existence. All reports and inspections suggest that 1963GT has never been subjected to abuse, an engine swap or an accident, and above all, it is offered wîth its factory-delivered interior and hardtop. This car is the ideal restoration candidate. For a fraction of its value, this car can be perfectly restored to its original white over black livery and, when completed, it would be difficult to imagine a more sensational show car. It seems as though this California Spider will have a much more public future in the coming years.Source - Gooding & Company
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.
Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.
Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.
The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).
The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.
The first 250 introduced was the 250S and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.
At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.
In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.
At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.
From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France' (TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.
Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.
There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.
In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.
The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.
Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.
For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.
For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.
For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.
The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007