The Porsche 356 Speedster, lighter than the Coupe and Cabriolet, was the ideal car for the four-cam Carrera engine. Only 140 Carrera Speedsters were made between 1954 and 1959 and only 30 of those were GT models. This is one of 19 GS/GT Speedster made in 1959; the second to last Speedster ever made and the last to leave the Porsche factory. With matching numbers, this Speedster is a great example with significant race car history from a famous Porsche driver. It was delivered to Joseph Buzzetta in June 1959 at the factory in Germany because he was in the Army stationed in Germany. Buzzetta raced the car successfully in a number of European events before bringing it back to the United States. In the United States he raced it in numerous races. Joe later raced for Porsche and advanced through the 906, 908 and 910s with factory support.
Throughout the 1950s, Porsche developed a reputation as a manufacturer of quality racecars that did not break, and stylish road cars that their owners could race. This Carrera GT Coupe is only one of just eleven 356A GT Coupes produced at the factory in 1959. It retains its rare 692/3, air-cooled flat-four engine, producing 141 horsepower at 6500 RPM. Acceleration from 0-100 mph took ten seconds, and speeds topped out at 124 MPH.
A French racer living in Morocco named Jean Kerguen acquired this Carrera GT from Huschke von Hanstein at Porsche's Competition Department. This coupe saw two first-in-class finishes in the 1959 race season. On September 25, 1959, Kerguen and Lacaze won their class, and finished fourth overall in the Tour de France. Kerguen won his final race in chassis 106198 at the infamous Montlhery track on October 23, 1960.
In 1981, this Coupe was purchased in Morocco with just 47,800 original miles by Richard Roth of New York City. It was restored by the Paterek Brothers of Chatham NJ, and first shown at the 1991 PCA Parade in Monterey where it won two awards: Judge's Choice and People's Choice.
This is one of 32 GT Speedsters produced by Porsche in 1959. The Speedsters were produced in a sequential run, ending the historic speedster body style. This vehicle has been restored with the original aluminum panels and wheels, factory GT rollbar and 100 liter fuel tank. The engine produces 135 horsepower at 7300 rpm.
This car with serial number #84040 has a history that goes back to when the factory shipped it to Hoffman Motors in New York City for their customer Alan P. Schweber. it was re-sold later to Bernard Switkes who used the car mainly in autocross competition.
Although the GS/GT Speedsters are now purely collectors' car, in the late 50s and 60s, they were supreme when in the hands of worthy drives such as Bruce Jennings, Bernie Switkes, John Kelly, Harry Blackhard, Emil Pardee, Don Webster and Joe Buzzetta.
This car is a career club race car. It has been successfully raced in every decade since it was born on both the European and American continents. It has run historic European courses such as LeMans and the Nurburgring as well as every major track in the United States and Canada. It was driven by Joe Cogbill to three National SCCA E Production Championships in 1982, 1983 and 1989. As a result of its 1989 Championship, it was recognized by Porsche in their national advertising. It is presented in its track livery and has run the high banks at Daytona Motor Speedway as recently as 2004.
The silver painted Porsche 356A 1600 GS Coupe with chassis number 108186 was delivered to Sonauto, the Paris dealership, on June 18, 1959. Its first owner was a dentist named Dr. Olivier Saie who retained the car until March of 1990 when it was sold to M. Daniel Marzat of Castres. A restoration began in June of 1990.
The engine is number 91004 which is a Type 692/0 1500 GT. It is not the original GS engine type. In 1998 the engine was rebuilt. The following year it was given a stainless steel version of the GS twin pipe exhaust system.
At the 2006 Worldwide Group auction held on Hilton Head Island it was expected to fetch between $260,000-$290,000. At the conclusion of the auction, the vehicle was left unsold. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2006
GS-GT #84910 was born in July, 1958 and sold directly by Porsche to a customer. Design features included aluminum body panels, wheel centers and trim, plexi-glass lightweight lenses, an oversized fuel tank, a roller bearing, and a four-cam, twin ignition, 115-horsepower engine, along with factory roll bar and competition exhaust.
The car was raced extensively at LeMans, the Nurburgring and Hockenheim. Then it was shipped to the Canary Islands, where it lost its original roller bearing engine. It was subsequently imported to the United States, where it received an updated normal-bearing 4-cam engine also developing 115 horsepower.
A ground-up restoration began in 1987. Upon completion, the car was awarded first place in class and division at the national Porsche Parade. The car was restored in 1993 to its present condition.
This car is fully restored to very high standards, black with green upholstery, and with the engine/engine compartment recently refreshed to full concours condition by Bill Doyle of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Very few 356A Carrera Cabs exist, and this car has been formally shown only once, at the 2002 German Autofest in Ventura, CA, where it won Best of Show in the concours class. The owner drove the car at The Quail Rally in 2004, before some oft he restoration work mentioned above was completed.
The Bonhams Motor Car Department is delighted to announce that it has been commissioned to offer one of the greatest and most charismatic of all small-capacity sports-racing cars – Porsche RS-61 chassis...