|1951 212 Export|
1952 Ferrari 212 Export news, pictures, and information
Chassis Num: 0158ED
The car is powered by a water-cooled, single-overhead-cam, 2.56 liter, V-12 engine developing 150 hp. The 2,530 pound vehicle is fitted with a 5-speed manual transmission and has a top speed of 118 mph. The chassis consists of tubular-steel, with front independent suspension by transverse leaf and wish-bones; independent rear suspension by live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs. Four-wheel drum brakes are employed to stop the vehicle.
The car has an extensive race history. Driven by its first owner, Bordonaro, the 212 Export with chassis 0158ED fished 10th at the 1952 Targa Florio race. During that same year it was entered in the Grand Prix di Pergusa where it finished first. In 1953 it was entered in the Tour de France where it failed to finish. Another trip to Targa Florio resulted in a 16th place finish. It continued to be raced extensively during the 1953 season, capturing first place victories at Coppa Nissena, Palermo Monte Pellegrino, and Coppa dei Templi. In 1956 it was entered in the Mille Miglia, driven by Margairaz and Gremaud, it failed to finish.
166, 195, and 212The 166 Inter was powered by a 2-liter V12 engine and produced 115 horsepower. These were road cars and were given odd chassis numbers. The even chassis numbers were reserved for the vehicles that were intended for racing. The bodies of the Inter vehicles were mostly Berlinetta and Coupes. At first, Touring handled most of the road going body construction but it was not long before Vignale, Ghia, Pinin Farina and others were creating custom coachwork. The 166 Inter was mechanically similar to the racing versions; it was 25 horsepower shy of its racing sibling. The suspension was wishbones in the front and a live rear axle. The chassis was a simple steel tubular frame. A replacement was created in 1950 after around 40 examples of the 166 Inter were produced. The displacement of the engine was enlarged to just over 2.3 liters which resulted in a unitary displacement of 195cc. Thus, the 195 Inter came into existence. A year later, the engine was enlarged even further resulting in the 212 Inter. After a year of production and with only 142 examples being created, the production of the 212 Inter ceased.
The 212 Inter was intended for road use while the 212 Export was primarily constructed for competition. Ferrari produced the rolling chassis and a Carrozzeria, meaning coachbuilder, was given the task of constructing the body. Each body was hand built and often to customers specifications. Because of this, the dimensions, bodystyles, and features of the car vary from one to another. Many of the 212 Inter vehicles sat atop a 2600mm wheelbase chassis; some were on a shorter, 2500mm wheelbase. The 212 Exports were also built atop of a 2250 wheelbase.
Cars produced between 1952 and 1953 were given the 'EU' designation on their chassis. The ones that proceeded these were given chassis numbers ending in S, E, and EL. The 'E' represented Export while the 'L' represented Lungo. One special chassis carried the 'T' designation on its chassis plate.
Under the hood of the long and graceful bonnet was a Colombo designed V12 engine mounted at 60-degrees. The engine came in a variety of flavors and left up to the customers to chose. Standard was the single Weber 36 DCF carburetor which was capable of producing 150 horsepower. Triple Weber 32 DCF carburetors could be purchased which increased horsepower to an impressive 170. All versions came with the standard Ferrari five-speed non-synchromesh gearbox and hydraulic drum brakes.
In total there were 82 versions of the 212 Inter constructed. Vignale was given the task of creating 37 of these. Fifteen of his creations were coupes, seven were convertibles, and thirteen were in Berlinetta configuration. Ghia was tasked with constructing 15 coupes and one convertible. Touring clothed one coupe and six Berlinetta's. The English coachbuilder, Abbot, created a four-seat cabriolet which was not that pleasing to the eye. Pinin Farina created two convertibles and eleven coupes. Styling varied among each of these coachbuilders with some being heavily dictated by the customer's wishes. Most of the cars were elegant, with few flamboyant cues, and well-proportioned body lines. They were minimalistic with little chrome and rounded, smooth bodies.
The 212 was replaced by the 250 Europa in 1953 and Pinin Farina had become Enzo Ferrari's carrozzeria of choice.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
|Italian Racing Classics Lead Gooding & Company's 10th Anniversary|
|SANTA MONICA, Calif. (June 4, 2013) – Gooding & Company, the official auction house of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance acclaimed for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, will be hosting the 10th Anniversary sale of the Pebble Beach Auctions on August 17 and 18. This year Gooding & Company offers an early preview of some of the most highly sought after and rapidly amassing value collectible – the distinguished Italian race car. Auction highlights include a...[Read more...]|
|Historic Jaguar D-Type Leads Growing List of Significant Entries for RM's Monterey Sale|
|• RM Auctions building towards a spectacular roster of cars for its flagship Monterey sale held during the famous Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance motoring week, August 16–17, in California • Historic 1955 Jaguar D-Type leads a superb roster of the world's finest sports and racing cars poised for the RM podium • Additional star lots include a 1955 Ferrari 750 Monza Scaglietti Spider, a 1950 Ferrari 166 Touring Barchetta, a 1961 Ferrari 400 Superamerica SWB Coupe Aerodinamico and a 1953 Masera...[Read more...]|
|Sir Stirling Moss Returns To The Amelia Concours|
|Sir Stirling Moss defined the image of a professional racing driver. By the time premature retirement was forced upon him by a racing accident at Goodwood in 1962, his name meant 'racing driver'. He was every English schoolboy's hero and the inheritor of grand master and Mercedes-Benz teammate Juan Fangio's orb, scepter and crown. In 1996 Sir Stirling was the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance first Honorary Chairman. The cover of 'The Amelia's' 1996 collector-grade program depict...[Read more...]|
|1955 Tourist Trophy: One Last Victory|
|The tragedy at Le Mans on the 11th of June, 1955 would dramatically affect motor racing. For one of the manufacturers involved, Mercedes-Benz, it would be a confirmation of what it had already come to believe. Toward the end of the 1955 season it was known Mercedes-Benz would withdraw from all motor racing having achieved just about everything possible in Formula One and sportscars. However, on the 18th of September, there would be one last race in which the mighty Silver Arrows would be gunning...[Read more...]|
|Chubb Insurance Concours d'Elegance Judging Day Concludes Salon Prive 2012|
|• 'Best of Show' prize goes to the 1950 Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta entered by Dudley and Sally Masson-Styrron |
• Most prestigious judging panel in Salon Privé history congratulates all category winners for the UK's most outstanding line-up of bikes and cars in 2012
Syon Park, West London, 10th September 2012 – The Chubb Insurance Concours d'Elégance judging day at Salon Privé London marked the close of the Luxury Super Car Show, with a fabulous line up of 111 cars and bikes...[Read more...]
|View more Targa Florio vehicles|
|View more Mille Miglia vehicles|
|1952 Ferrari models|
|Ferrari 166 F2|
|Ferrari 212 Inter|
|Ferrari 212 Speciale|
|Ferrari 212/225 Inter|
|Ferrari 225 Inter|
|Ferrari 225 Sport|
|Ferrari 250 S|
|Ferrari 340 America|
|Ferrari 340 Mexico|
|Ferrari 342 America|
|Ferrari 500 F2|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 1952|
|Ferrari 212 Inter|
|Ferrari 212 Speciale|
|Other models by Ferrari|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|2006 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance|
|1951 212 Export|