Sold for $35,200 at 2009 RM Auctions
John and Horace Dodge began their start in the automotive industry by supplying engines and transmission to R.E. Olds. Later, they sold engines, transmissions, and axles to Henry Ford for his automobiles. By 1913 Ford had moved away from purchasing these components, to producing and adapting them to their own machine. The Dodge brothers adapted to this change and the loss of business by producing their own vehicles. The brothers had enough financial backing to be successful and to produce an automobile that was high in quality and durability at an affordable price. By the 1920's, the Dodge company had reached second place in total sales production. This was also the year that both brothers died and the company soon declined. In 1928, Walter P. Chrysler stepped in and saved the sinking company.
Around 1930 the 'Dodge Brothers' Company became known as just 'Dodge'. Chrysler began using the Dodge Company to produce small, light, and fast vehicles. Part of this strategy to move the Dodge Company 'down market' was to inspire sales during a tough economical time, the Great Depression. By repositioning the company and its products, sales began to increase. By 1930 Dodge had moved into seventh place in overall sales. In 1933 the cars were moved even farther down market, selling entry-level vehicles at a very low-price. The Dodge nameplate had switched with DeSoto and the move proved to be very beneficial for Dodge, where it saw sales increase and the company slipped into fourth place.
This 1930 Dodge DD Six Business Coupe sat atop of a 109 inch wheelbase and carried a $835 factory price. Power was supplied from a 6-cylinder 189.8 cubic-inch engine that provided just over 60 horsepower. Total production for the Business Coupe was 3877 units. The most popular of the body-styles for all of the models (DD and DC) that Dodge produced in 1930, was the DD 4-door sedan with seating for five. This bodystyle had over 33,000 examples produced.
This car was the subject of a three-year restoration that began in 1979. Between 1982 and 1984, this Business Coupe received multiple awards in AACA judging before it was donated to the Crawford Museum in 1991 after being driven just 336 miles since restoration. The engine is a 189.8 cubic-inch six-cylinder unit producing 60 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual transmission and hydraulic brakes.
In 2009, this Model DD Six was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey presented by RM Auctions where it was expected to sell for $15,000 - $20,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $35,200, including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2009