Skip to main content

1930 Packard 745 Deluxe Eight news, pictures, specifications, and information
Convertible Sedan
Coachwork: Brewster
Chassis Num: 182411
 
Sold for $209,000 at 2006 RM Auctions.
The Packard 745 models were elegant cars that sat atop of a 145 inch wheelbase and were excellent specimens to receive custom coachwork. Delicately concealed under its long hood was a 385 cubic-inch eight-cylinder engine that produced over 105 horsepower. The Packard 845 models of 1931 had the hood shortened by five inches and the cowl moved forward. This created more body space but it took away from the long and powerful appearance of the hood.

The Packard cars were catered to the wealthy with many selling for more than the typical house. This 1930 Packard 745 Convertible Sedan with chassis number 182411 is believed to be one of only two ever built. It has coachwork by Brewster & Company, a firm that was well known for their work on Rolls-Royce vehicles. The Brewster Company was formed in 1810 in New Have Connecticut and created coachwork for carriages. As the automobile grew in popularity, they gradually switched their business to accommodate these changes. By 1905 they were building bodies in New York city. By 1911 they had moved to larger facilities in Long Island City, New York. Three years later the company was working with Rolls-Royce, importing the chassis from England and creating custom designs for their customers. Rolls-Royce bought the company in 1925.

There were ten bodies built bearing the chassis numbers 1030 through 1039. This example shown is 1037. The other surviving example is 1033 and can be found on the west coast of the United States.

In 1995 it earned its CCCA Senior Award with a score of 99 points. It was offered for auction in 2006 at Meadow Brook by RM Auctions. It was estimated to fetch between $175,000 - $225,000. When all was said and done, it had found a new home for $209,000.

By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2011
Sport Phaeton
 
At the start of the Classic era, Packard was among the leading luxury marque. This all changed during the early years of the Great Depression, when Packard sales began to drastically decline. In 1930, the first year of the Depression, Packard sold just 28,386 cars. This was down dramatically from 1929. By this time Packard was one of the oldest car companies in America, with the first Packard built in 1899. The company was founded as the Ohio Automobile Company in Warren, Ohio. It became the Packard Motor Car Company in 1902 and moved to Detroit in 1903.

They entered the Classic era with a new straight eight engine replacing its early V12. This milestone engine used a unique crankshaft design and firing order that balanced the reciprocating forces and eliminated vibration. It was lighter than the V12, provided more power, better fuel economy and the inline configuration was compatible with the 'long hood' design themes that would be characteristic of the Classic era. The Model 740 rode on a 140-inch wheelbase chassis and was powered by a 385 cubic-inch straight eight-cylinder engine offering 106 horsepower. It was priced at $3,190 and only 6,200 were produced.

The Model 745, the top of Packard's lineup, rode on a 145 inch wheelbase chassis and was powered by a 385 cubic-inch straight eight-cylinder engine producing 106 horsepower. It was priced at $4,885 and only 1,789 were produced.

This car was purchased new by James Moore, who owned a restaurant in New York City. His specialty was corned beef & cabbage and Irish stew. The name of his establishment was Dinty Moore's on W. 46th Street. Mr. Moore was notorious for his disregard of prohibition. The price at the time was $4,885. Years later, Mr. Moore gave the car to his chauffer. The third owner kept the car in a museum in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. The Packard changed hands two more times.

The current caretakers believe they are the sixth owner of the car, acquiring it in 2003.
Convertible Sedan
Coachwork: Brewster
Chassis Num: 182411
 
Sold for $209,000 at 2006 RM Auctions.
This is a very rare and highly desirable automobile, custom-built by Brewster, best known for coach work on Rolls-Royce chassis. The original owner is not known, but it was sold in Philadelphia in November of 1930. In 1966, the car joined the Andrew Darling Collection in Minnesota. It was restored in 1970. The car was sold at auction in 1997 to Dr. Glen Hamilton, and put on loan to the Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio. John MacArthur purchased the car and it was featured in many concours. The present owner is Steven Schultz of Chicago.
Roadster
 
The Seventh Series Packards were introduced at the beginning of the Great Depression. Packard had prospered in the 1920s, but as fortunes changed sales began to decline. Very few 745 Roadsters were produced in 1930 as the 745 chassis was mainly used for larger Sedans and Victorias.

This car was originally owned by John Shibe, owner of the Philadelphia Athletics. The car was found in a salvage yard in 1954 but was never restored. It changed hands again in 1966 but sat outside a barn until being rescued in 1995. The current owner purchased the car in 1996 and began an extensive restoration. The restoration was completed in 1998 after 6,600 man-hours of labor.

The car was judged 100 points by SCCA in September 1998 and received Senior Status.
Convertible Victoria
Coachwork: Waterhouse
 
The Waterhouse Coachbuilding Company was formed by four men with diverse backgrounds but all had a love of automobiles. Amongst the group was a taxicab body manufacturer who had gone bankrupt, a stock broker who had studied at Harvard, an accountant who was unemployed at the time, and a body repair foreman working for Cadillac. The genesis of the Waterhouse Company was one that had a slow and rough start and would stay in existence for only a few years, but during that time the work would become legendary and appreciated for generations.

Roger Clapp and S. Roberts Dunham had been roommates during college. Clapp had a degree from Harvard Business School and was working for a brokerage house in Boston when he and Dunham reconnected. Dunham had been living in California and just returned to Boston. Soon after, they pursued their dream of owning their own business.
Charles Waterhouse got wind of the news that two individuals were opening a coachbuilding business and offered to provide financial backing. Waterhouse and his son L. Osborne Waterhouse were descendants of a vehicle body manufacturer and both wanted to continue their family tradition. They had expertise in the business of coachbuilding as well as some capital to invest, though not enough to start their own business. The decision was made to bid on materials, equipment, and machinery from the recently bankrupt Woonsocket Company. Osborne had worked as a superintendent at the Woonsocket Manufacturing Company prior to it going bankrupt. The company's business involved building bodies for taxicabs and was based in Providence, RI. The bankruptcy had left the newly formed Waterhouse Company, named to pay homage to the Waterhouse family, with an excellent opportunity to get the equipment at a reasonable price. After they won the bid, they began searching for a suitable factory which they found in Webster, MA. By January of 1928, the Waterhouse Company was incorporated and ready to begin building custom bodies.

Charles Waterhouse and Roger Clapp retained their jobs and provided extra financial stability while Bob Dunham and Osborne moved to Webster to get the company off the ground. One of their first employees was Sargent Waterhouse, Charles oldest son. He had built a strong reputation as a skilled craftsman while working Judkins.

George Briggs Weaver was a former tool and jewelry designer. He had studied at the Rhode Island School of design and had worked for his father at the Weaver automobile manufacturing plant before it was ruined by fire. 'Briggs' had a talent for creating designs and drawings and this appealed to the newly formed Waterhouse business. Samples of his work were shown to duPont Motors. After a visit to the factory, duPont Motors ordered five roadsters and five convertible coupe bodies. This would be the start of a relationship between these two companies, resulting in a total of 82 bodies and eight different body styles.

This had not been the first business for the young company. They had been searching all areas for work and anything that would allow them the opportunity to generate some cash flow. They found such an opportunity when they were tasked with building 200 small boats which they completed. This may not have been what they had hoped for, but it did generate some much needed cash.

In 1929 Packard requested a single body to be built for the Paris Saloon. The Waterhouse Company was given seven weeks to finish the job. The design was to be similar to the Alexis de Saknoffsky show car which had been created by Van den Plas a few years prior. A job of this size was estimated to take at least 12 weeks. The young company was eager to prove themselves which they did by completing the Convertible Victoria for Packard on-time and to an exceptionally high level of quality and craftsmanship. Packard was impressed and ordered ten more bodies for their Packard vehicles. After the order was satisfied, they continued to order Waterhouse bodies totaling around 100 examples.

The company's popularity and status within the industry was growing and they were receiving orders from many companies including Marmon, Cadillac, Lincoln, and Chrysler. Various body styles and designs were created, including limousines, coupes, speedsters, phaetons, and town cars to name. All were penned by Briggs Weaver. His talent was recognized by many and soon was offered a position to work for duPont, which he accepted. Even though he left Waterhouse, duPont agreed to allow him to 'moon-light' at his former employment to help insure the success of the company.

The onset of the Great Depression was tough for many businesses, especially the luxury car segment. Waterhouse had built a successful business that included almost 300 custom bodies. By 1933 Waterhouse was no longer producing custom bodies. They had switched their business to the manufacturing of furniture which later merged into a division of Ethan Allen, Inc.

By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2011
Phaeton
 
Packard was the leading luxury marque at the start of the Classic era, but in 1930, the first year of the Great Depression, sold only 28,386 cars, down dramatically from 1929. Packard was one of the oldest car companies in America, with the first Packard built in 1899. The company began life as the Ohio Automobile Company based on Warren, Ohio. It became the Packard Motor Car Company in 1902 and moved to Detroit in 1903.

Packard entered the Classic era with a new straight eight engine replacing its early V12. This milestone engine used a unique crankshaft design and firing order that balanced the reciprocating forces and eliminated vibration. It was lighter than the V12, providing more power, better fuel economy and the inline configuration was compatible with the 'long hood' design themes that would be characteristic of the Classic era. The Model 745, the top of Packard's lineup, rode on a 145 inch wheelbase chassis and was powered by a 385 cubic-inch straight eight-cylinder engine producing 106 horsepower. It was priced at 44,885 and only 1,789 were produced.

This car was acquired by the current owner in 2009 after a 20-year pursuit to acquire it. It underwent a 'sympathetic cosmetic restoration.
Roadster
 
The Model 745, the top of Packard's lineup, rode on a 145 inch wheelbase chassis and was powered by a 385 cubic-inch straight eight-cylinder engine producing 106 horsepower. It was priced at $4,885 and only 1,789 were produced.

This car was a basket case when it was rescued from an Indiana farm in the early 1960s. The current owner knew of the car from his childhood and acquired it in 1997. It then underwent a professional restoration to its original factory specs and paint scheme.
All-Weather Town Car
Coachwork: LeBaron
Chassis Num: 184676
Engine Num: 184633
 
Sold for $110,000 at 2011 RM Auctions.
Sold for $126,500 at 2014 RM Auctions.
In the 1930s, Alexander M. Lindsay Jr. purchased his wife, Anne, a Packard seventh Series All-Weather Town car, a factory-catalogued 'semi-custom' by LeBaron. The car remained with the Lindsays in Rochester, seeing little use, for over two decades, during which time it was maintained and driven by their chauffeur.

Late in the 1950s, Lacey Jenkins acquired the car from the Lindsay family. The car remained with Mr. Jenkins under his passing in 1981, after which it was sold to Joseph Mollo. At the time, the car had just 32,518 miles on the odometer.

Since that time, the car has been owned by Otis Chandler and Lyall Trenholm. Mr. and Mrs. Kughn were only the eighth owners of what is believed to be the only Seventh Series Packard in this body style known to survive.

The car still wears much of its original Dark Olive Green finish, padded roof, and rear upholstery, with only the fenders having been refinished. There are doors with rounded corners, vault-like locks on the curbside doors, and numerous Packard accessories, such as chrome wire wheels, side-mounted mirrors, a radiator stone guard, an Adonis mascot, a monogrammed light bar, and senior Trippe driving lights. The original trunk is still present and contains four suitcases.

The LeBaron All-Weather Town Car rests on a 145.5-inch wheelbase, has body style 1907, and is powered by a 385 cubic-inch L-head eight-cylinder engine offering 106 horsepower.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
Convertible Sedan
Coachwork: Dietrich
Chassis Num: 179463
 
The early 1930's were devastating for many marques and for Packard it was no different. The onset of the Great Depression meant that many manufacturers were left with few buyers and as a result many went out of business. The cars that Packard produced were positioned for the high to upper class who could afford these beautiful but expensive creations. During the 1920's the company prospered but as the 1930's came into sight, the sales began to decline.

The 1930 Packard's were available in numerous bodystyles and could satisfy almost any buyers specifications or desires. Coachbuilders could be commissioned to create unique creations. New for this year was a centralized chassis lubrication system, front wheel brakes, four-speed transmission, shatter-proof laminated windows, and hypoid rear axle.

Packard had moved away from the annual model change adhered to by other manufacturers in 1923. Instead, they introduced the 'Series' concept, which did not necessarily follow the calendar year. This allowed the 'Series' to last for more than one year while others had a 'shelf life' of just seven months. For 1930, Packard automobiles are considered part of the Seventh Series. The Seventh Series was the last series to use piano spoke wire wheels. They had a new fender line that ran from the crown of the fender to the running board. Other Seventh Series styling cues included fender-mounted parking lamps, three-lens tail lights, new rounded headlamps, an adjustable driver's seat, and dual glove compartments. They had Watson Stabilizer shock absorbers, thermostatic radiator shutters, a centralized Bijur chassis lubrication system, shatter-proof laminated windows, a hypoid rear axle, new gauges, and a four-speed transmission. The engine offered 106 BHP peak engine power at 3200 RPM along with 350 lbs/ft of torque.

The Seventh Series was available in three models for 1930 included the 733 Standard 8, the 740 Super 8 on a 140-inch wheelbase, and the 745 Super 8 on a 145-inch wheelbase.

Packard sold 28,386 cars in 1930, down dramatically from 1929. The long wheelbase 745 Models accounted for just 3,007 of those sales. They were available in 11 semi-custom and individual custom factory bodies.

This particular Convertible Sedan with coachwork by Dietrich has been treated to a high quality restoration. It is powered by an inline 8-cylinder, L-head 385 CID engine fitted with a single Detroit Lubricator carburetor and offering just over 100 horsepower. It has a 4-speed manual transmission and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes.

The famous Ray Dietrich was employed by his Brewster in 1909, where he met Tom Hibbard. Tom and Ray left Brewster in 1920 and formed LeBaron. In 1923, Hibbard left for Paris with Howard 'Dutch' Darrin to found Hibbard & Darrin. 1923 was also the same year Mr. Dietrich made important contacts at the New York Salon with Edsel Ford and Packard president Alvan Macauley. In 1925, Allan Sheldon of the Murray Body Company helped finance the set-up of Dietrich Inc. in Detroit.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016
Roadster
 
Many consider the Seven Series model 745 Deluxe Eight to be the ultimate Packard of the 1930s. With a wheelbase of 145.5-inch it provides an exceptionally smooth ride that has become a trademark of Packard.

The Seven Series was the first to introduce the flowing front fender-line that truly epitomizes the classic era. Unlike many other cars, the line from the crown of the fender to the running board creates a single, sweeping arc. It is said that the well-proportioned roadsters are among the most striking cars ever built.

Powered by the smooth 385 cubic-inch eight cylinder engine that produces 106 horsepower, it is known for its reliability, power and smooth operation. It features a Detroit Lubricant Number 51 updraft carburetor, a double fan belt and an automatically controlled thermostatic radiator with shutters that allow for improved cooling. The new four speed gearbox was upgraded with a low gear that allowed for easier slow speed operation. The list of improvements produced a truly luxurious automobile capable of high speed driving and gentle touring; 'always a Packard.'

This 1930 Packard was formerly owned by Norman Deckard of Bloomington, Indiana. For over fifty years it sat completely dismantled down to the very last nut and bolt. It has been resurrected to its original glory, with over 7,000 hours spent on the extensive restoration. It has since received numerous national awards.
Roadster
 
Between 1924 and 1930, Packard was the top-selling luxury brand in America, but its success was built on exports. Packards sold almost twice as many cars abroad as any other luxury car manufacturer in 1930. At the height of its success, Packard introduced its seventh series. This was right at the beginning of the Great Depression, and the upper classes could still just about afford these beautiful creations. But as fortunes changed, luxury car sales began to decline. Total production for the Packard Model 745 was very low, with just 1,789 built in a variety of body styles. Packard offered two different Deluxe Eight roadsters in 1930, but less than 150 were sold. The early history of this car is not known, but it was found on a farm in Middleburgh, New York, in 1949 and has since been well documented. It has just been restored.
A United States based brand of luxury automobiles, the Packard Motors Company was located in Detroit, Michigan.

Packard attempted to ride out the stock market crash at the beginning of the 1930's by marketing slightly less expensive vehicles than it had prior to October of 1929. Though they didn't have the luxury of a larger corporate structure that could absorb its losses, Packard did have a better cash position than other independent luxury marques.

Another advantage that Packard had that other luxury automakers didn't was their use of just one production line. Packard was able to keep costs down by maintaining a single line, along with inter-changeability between models. Since they didn't change their vehicles as often as other manufacturers did at the time, Packard instead chose to introduce new models annually.

In 1913, Packard began using their own Series formula for differentiating its model adaptations in 1913. Packard was heading into its Twentieth Series by 1942.

Packard automobiles were considered part of the 'Seventh Series' in 1930. On August 20, 1929, the Packard 745 was introduced. The 1930 Packard 745 Roadster had a 384.8 cubic inch, 106hp, straight-eight engine, and a long wheelbase at 145.5 inches. Wire wheels and the spotlight were both available options.

By Jessica Donaldson
Recent Vehicle Additions

2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

2017 Toyota Mirai

2017 Toyota Sequoia

2017 Toyota RAV4

2017 Jeep Compass

2017 Dodge Viper
For more information and related vehicles, click here

"
2015 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Best of Show
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2015) -- An Italian Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A Cabriolet that once turned heads and garnered top prizes in the classic era glided to victory at the 65th Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Sunday. The competition drew 219 cars from 16 countries and 29 U.S. states to the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links. It also raised over $1.8 million to help people in need. Through the Pebble Beach Company Foundation, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this ...[Read more...]
HILTON HEAD ISLAND MOTORING FESTIVAL & CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE PRESENTS 2015 PINNACLE AND HONORED COLLECTORS
 • Fred Guyton collection to feature 2014 Pebble Beach Concours Best in Class winner;
• William 'Tom' Gerrard recognized for Post-War collection and key Concours contributions
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – Each year, the Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d'Elegance features leading automotive collectors from around the world and the 14th annual edition of this celebration follows suit. Among the notable names visitors and enthusiasts will encounter at the 2015...[Read more...]
RM Auctions Amelia Island Preview - 2014
{image20} RM Auctions, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles, will hold its Amelia Island, Florida, sale on March 8th at the Ritz-Carlton. As the official auction house of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's Amelia Island sale will feature a magnificent selection of more than 80 handpicked automobiles, with an emphasis on important and historic sports and racing cars, along with elegant coachbuilt classics. Full events details, including a frequently ...[Read more...]
Two Best of Show Winners : Similar Designs : Same Owner
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours d'Elegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top wears coachwork by LeBaron. In 2012, it won the Best of Show title (for an American car) at the Concours d'Elegance of America at St. Johns. The other car is a Packard 2 door Convertible Victoria with coachwork by Dietrich. It won this years Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Best of Show honors...[Read more...]
63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Names 1934 Packard 'Best of Show'
The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best of Show at the 63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, held Sunday on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links at Pebble Beach Resorts. The event showcased 248 cars from 36 states and 12 countries and raised $1,277,007 for charity. 'This Pack...[Read more...]

180
200
250
3-35 Fourth Series
300
38
645
745
845
Caribbean
Cavalier
Clipper
Custom Eight
Eight
Four Hundred
Model 18
Model 30
Model F
One-Twenty
Patrician
Six
Super Deluxe
Twelve

© 1998-2016. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.