Skip to main content
Top Auction Sales
1936 - 1939
1937 MG TA
1937 MG TA
1937 MG TA news, pictures, specifications, and information
Sold for $26,400 at
2009 RM Auctions
The first of the famous T-Series sports cars produced by MG was introduced in 1936. The first was the TA, which spawned a succession of improved postwar models that included the TC, TD and TF. The TA had a stylish look that would define the typical British sports car for years to come. It had a tall, square radiator, wire wheels, cut-down doors, folding windscreen and rear-mounted slab fuel tank and spare tire.
The TA was powered by a 1,292cc engine and fitted with pushrod-actuated overhead valves. Top speed was nearly 80 mph with zero-to-fifty taking 15 seconds.
In the early 2000s, this MG TA was given a complete restoration and has seen little use since that time. The engine is a later-model 1,250cc X.P.A.G. believed to be out of an MG TC.
In 2009, it was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $25,000 - $30,000 and offered without reserve.
By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2009
During the 1930s, trialing or 'mud plugging' (as it was known) was a popular sport for both factory-prepared cars and private individuals. Cars had to travel a prescribed course taking them to various venues throughout the countryside that tested both driver and car while tackling steep and muddy hill climbs. The further that drivers made it up the hill, the more points they received. The combination of points from the hill climbs and the timed speed distance trials determined the winner.
This particular car was a factory supported effort combining the body and chassis of a small TA two-seat roadster (normally fitted with a 1200cc engine) with the 1600cc engine of the larger MG VA tourer. Cycle fenders, double spare tires on 16-inch rims and the brown and cream factory colors known as 'Cream Crackers' completed the transformation. The MG quickly became the fancy of American serviceman stationed in Europe during World War II.
The MG TA Midget appeared in the spring of 1936 as a replacement for the MG PB. It featured many components borrowed from Morris. Channel sections replaced the tubular cross-members making the vehicles ride more comfortable. The suspension was provided by leaf springs and beam-axle in the front and rear. The brakes were hydraulically operated drums, a first for MG. The body shell was assembled around the MG traditional way of using a wooden frame. All this added up to a total weight of 1,765 pounds.
A 1292 cc, overhead-valve, pushrod, four-cylinder engine was placed in the front and powered the rear wheels. Outfitted with dual horizontal SU carburetors, the engine produced 50 horsepower. The four-speed manual gearbox was synchromesh, another first for MG.
When first introduced, the two-seater vehicle could be purchased in open and closed configuration. Later, the open coupe, referred to as an Airline Coupe, was replaced with a Drophead style. The Drophead used a soft-top that could open and close depending on the driver and the weather conditions.
In 1939 World War II was beginning. MG was introducing its latest vehicle, the TB Midget. It was basically the same as the TA, but was equipped with a larger, 1250cc, engine. The four-cylinder over-head valve, XPAG power plant was borrowed from the new Morris 10. It produced 45 horsepower and was much more reliable than its predecessor. When the war began, production ceased. MG shifted its focus to creating equipment for military purposes.
At the end of the War, MG introduced the TC Midget. This was essentially a TB with very few modifications. The chassis was modified with rubber bush shackles in place of the sliding trunnion spring mountings. The transmission was the single-plate dry clutch and four-speed synchromesh unit. The engine was the XPAG 1250 cc pushrod engine. It was essential a TB offered in one body style, an open two-seater.
Even though the TC was a rebirth of an old model and used outdated mechanical equipments but modern interior, the TC Midget was very successful. During its four year production run, lasting from 1945 through 1949, more than 10,000 TC's were created.
In 1949, the TC was replaced by the TD Midget. It visually appeared like the previous Midgets, but was very different in mechanical ways. With a new chassis, it was sturdier and provided a comfortable ride. An independent suspension with double wishbones and coil springs were placed in the front. The vehicle was left-hand drive. The engine and transmission were identical to the TC. To comply with newly developed safety concerns and regulations, bumpers were placed on the front and in the rear.
A Mark II version used a more powerful version of the XPAG engine. With larger carburetors and higher compression ratio, the vehicle produced 57 horsepower. The suspension was modified and the interior received bucket seats.
During its four-year production run, the TD experienced even more success than its predecessor. Just like the TC, many of the TD Midgets were exported to the United States.
In 1953, the TD was updated and dubbed the TF. It was given a 1466 cc engine. Production continued through 1955 when it was replaced by the MGA.
Prior to World War I, the future of the company was unknown. Thanks to the success of the TA, the road was paved for MG to continue their prosperous status after the War. The models that followed brought modifications both visually and mechanically. The T-Series, lasting from 1936 through 1955, was a simple and reliable two-seater sports car that was fun to drive.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
Recent Vehicle Additions
2017 Audi A1 Quattro
2017 Ferrari California T
2017 Ferrari 488 GTB
2017 Nissan Navara Trek-1
2017 Ferrari GTC4Lusso
2017 Lexus CT 200h
Vehicles by Company
Show All Manufacturers
Other models by MG
© 1998-2017. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.