The Rolls-Royce 20/25 Series was built from 1929 to 1936 and was aimed primarily at owners-drivers, although many of these motorcars were chauffeur-driven.
Production of the 20/25 was relatively high by Rolls-Royce standards. A total of 3,827 were built during its production run. As was the case with all Rolls-Royces, bodies were supplied by outside coachbuilders; in this case, Mulliner.
The motor was a Rolls-Royce-built in-line, overhead valve six-cylinder motor coupled to a four-speed gearbox. Both coil and magneto were used.
This motorcar is recognized as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America.
High bid of $95,000 at 2005 RM Auctions. (did not sell) Sold for $93,500 at 2006 RM Auctions. This 1934 Rolls-Rocye 20/25HP Sedanca Coupe with coachwork by J. Gurney Nutting & Company Ltd., sits atop a 132 inch wheelbase and powered by a six-cylinder engine that produces 25 horsepower (RAC rating). It is finished in a light Dove gray and darker gray striping. The interior reveals leather seats with matching colors to the exterior with its tan wool carpets. This vehicle has undergone a full body-on cosmetic restoration. Much of its life it has resided in London, England where the right-hand drive configuration was aptly suited.
Located at the back of the vehicle is a custom built rear mounted spare tire compartment. On the front of the vehicle are optional Lucas center driving lights. The headlights are also Lucas lights. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2007
Sold for $82,500 at 2013 Gooding & Company. This Rolls-Royce 20/25 Sport Saloon has been restored and includes a rare factory-conducted chassis renumbering, unique Freestone and Webb coachwork, and an early 1980s refurbishment. It rides on a long wheelbase chassis and is the second example of the D2 series of 20/25 cars. It was sold on March 1st of 1934 to Grimchaw Leather & Company on behalf of G.S. Houseman of Alnmouth, England. On June 14th, the car was delivered to coachbuilder Freestone & Webb of London. It was given a close-coupled sport saloon body with sweeping fenders. It was delivered to its owner briefly before returning to the factory for upgrades. It was 'modernized' by fitting governor controls, shock absorbers, and a new type carburetor. It was re-designated as chassis number GYD 42. By 1954, the car had come into the care of J.W. Cummin of Chathill. At some point thereafter, it was exported to the United States.
The current owner acquired the car in the late 1970s in disrepair. It was treated to an extensive restoration that was completed in August of 1981 and cost over $159,000. Since the work was completed, the car has never been exhibited.
Power comes from a 3,680cc overhead valve six-cylinder engine breathing through a single 2-Jet carburetor. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel servo-assisted drum brakes.
In 2013, the vehicle was offered for sale at Gooding & Company's Scottsdale, Arizona auction. It was estimated to sell for $80,000 - $100,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, it had been sold for the sum of $82,500 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2013
This Rolls-Royce is the 'show car' displayed by Park Ward coachbuilders at the 1934 Earl's Court Automobile Show in London. The car is the first design featuring a 'fastback' body style, later adopted by most auto manufacturers in the late 1930's and early 1940's.
This car was delivered new to London, England where it stayed until the early 1960s when, still as an original unrestored car, showing some 40,000 miles, it came to the United States. In the early 1990s the car changed hands and the restoration was undertaken, as it is today. After admiring the car for decades the current owner was finally able to acquire it in 2014. Of particular interest are the Freestone and Webb 'Razor Edge' fenders, with the front fender continuing all the way to the rear in one piece. The hinges for the front and rear doors are both mounted on the center pillar and a fitted tool kit is incorporated into the boot lid.
Sold for $71,500 at 2013 RM Auctions. Sold for $60,500 at 2016 RM Auctions. Between 1929 and 1936, Rolls-Royce built 4,000 approximately examples, making this one of the company's best-selling models of the era. This particular example was originally delivered to G. Vaughan Morgan. It eventually made its way to Miami, Florida, where it was owned by Robert Collins. In mid-1974, it was sold by Mr. Collins to the previous owner, a Midwestern collection, in whose ownership the car remained for nearly four decades. The current caretaker acquired the car in 2013.
This car wears a body built in the style of the one fixed to the experimental Phantom I chassis 10EX by Barker. It has open coachwork, flared and racing-style fenders, a semi-boattail back end, and four doors. The car has been given a complete, frame-up, body-off restoration. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2016
In 1929 the Twenty's replacement, the 20/25 HP was launched. This car used the Twenty chassis, virtually unchanged, but the engine was enlarged from 3.1 litres to 3.7 litres, giving a significant increase in performance. Improved power had become a necessity because owners often insisted on fitting elaborate and heavy coachwork, which severely affected the performance. This was an important change considering owners didn't like to be overtaken by what they believed to be inferior cars. An 'Autocar' report in 1931 describes the 20/25 thus: 'Every single feature spells durability, the machine is on a plane altogether superior to the normal style of motor car'. This claim is backed up by the fact that this model was the choice of some of the most famous sporting drivers of the day. Tommy Sopwith owned one, as did the famous racing driver Prince Bira of Siam and racing driver and record breaker Sir Malcolm Campbell. - Rolls-Rocye Motor Cars
Overview The 20/25 kept the Rolls-Royce tradition of a two-model policy, being sold alongside of the Phantom II. It was offered as a more economical car and was smaller than its sibling. All of the 20/25HP were outfitted wîth custom coachbuilt bodies from legendary names such as Vanden Plas, Freestone and Webb, Brewster, Gurney Nutting, Park Ward, Coachcraft, and Thrupp & Maberly.
With nearly 4000 chassis created it is one of Rolls-Royce's best selling contemporary models, lasting from 1929 through 1936. During the production lifespan of the 20/25, the vehicle received many updates. The ignition, brakes, clutch, and carburetors were just a few of the mechanical areas to received modifications and improvements. In 1932 shock absorbers and thermostat controlled devices were introduced. The thermostats operated the radiator air-flow automatically eliminating the need to operate the radiator shutters by hand.Source - Rolls-Royce Motor Cars