The Jaguar Mark V was upstaged by the sensational XK 120 at the 1948 London Motor Show. The Mark V was Jaguar's bread-and-butter offering during its two-plus years, outselling the XK by more than two-to-one.
This was the second Jaguar sedan to go into production after World War II, but the first with a new chassis, and also the first to employ a Roman numeral in its nomenclature. The 1946-1948 model, for example, was not distinguished as the Mark IV until it was already out of production, and the Mark V had made its debut.
Like the XK 120, the Mark V was powered by an inline six-cylinder engine. However, it was not the XK's new dual overhead cam six-cylinder unit. The 2.5- and 3.5-liter sixes offered in the Mark V were overhead valve engines with pre-war origins. Most of the Mark V's brief production run, which lasted just 28 months, was devoted to sedans, 9492 in all. There were also 1001 convertibles. Of the sedans, 1905 were equipped with left-hand drive.
This Mark V was sold in Los Angeles by Homburg Jaguar, the first West Coast dealership anointed by company founder Sir William Lyons. It remained with its original owner for four decades, then spent over two decades in Texas.
The current owner acquired the car in 2006, and devoted almost four years to its restoration. Already a staring Jaguar Club North America events, this Mark V will make its screen debut in A New York Heartbeat, a gangster movie starring Eric Roberts.
Drop Head Coupe Chassis Num: 647008 Engine Num: T8431
Sold for $88,000 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The Jaguar Mark V introduced a number of firsts for the Coventry-based manufacturer, including hydraulic brakes, disc wheels made of pressed steel and the independent front suspension setup. They utilized a ball-join mechanism in the new front suspension, a first for any mass-produced automobile and one that was eventually widely replicated.
Just a year after the debut of the model, a drop head coupe version was put into production. Only 977 examples of the open-air Mark V were constructed before the model was phased out in late 1951.
This 3.5 Liter Drop Head Coupe wears an older restoration. It was completed on January 16th of 1950 and is believed to be the eight left-hand-drive Mark V Drop Head Coupe equipped with the 3.5-liter engine. It was dispatched for Hornburg Jaguar in Los Angeles on February 1st and sold new by International Motors of Hollywood, California, to actor Robert Mitchum.
By 1981, this car belonged to Lt. Colonel John P. Kelly, who was ten in the process of restoring it. The exterior is finished in black and there are whitewall tires, and polished burr walnut interior.
The 3485cc overhead valve six-cylinder engine has two Sidedraft SU carburetors and offers 125 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by Gooding & Company. It was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $125,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $88,000 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
Sold for $90,648 (€70,166) at 2012 Coys. At the 1948 London Motor Show, at the same time as the introduction of the XK120, Jaguar introduction its Mark V. Powering the MKV Series were six-cylinder overhead-valve engines that came in both 2.5- and 3.5-liter forms. Several body styles were available including drophead coupe or salon, and were well equipped with proper luxurious amenities. Around 577 examples were produced, and this example is the 66th car produced. It was exported new to the USA before it was repatriated back to European shores several years ago. The car has been subjected to much work by a specialist in 2004 and 2005. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2013
Sold for $49,500 at 2007 RM Auctions. Sold for $57,750 at 2012 RM Auctions. This 1950 Jaguar Mark V Laudette is believed to be the world's only 1950 Jaguar MK V Laudette. This is not the vehicles original body; it began life wearing a saloon body number G5937. Some point during its life it was given this bodystyle which features a fixed roof above the driver and a retractable top above the passengers. This car spent its entire life, up until 2002, in London, England. In 2002 it was brought to the United States where it was treated to a complete body-off-the-frame restoration which took two years to complete. After its restoration it was brought to the West Palm Beach Concours d'Elegance where it was awarded Best in Show.
The car is finished in cream and white two-tone paint. The interior is tan leather with white piping and wool carpets. It is powered by a 2664cc overhead valve six-cylinder engine that is capable of producing just over 100 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel drum brakes.
This Laudette was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held at Meadow Brook where it was estimated to sell for $40,000 - $60,000. There was no reserve on the vehicle which really did not matter, as the vehicle was sold for $49,500 including buyers premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007
The Mark V was the first new post-war Jaguar, riding on a freshly conceived chassis with independent front suspension. A shortened version of the chassis was used for the XK sports cars, beginning with the XK120. In 1950, the year of this 3.5-liter, four-door sedan, Jaguar sedans got all-steel bodies.
This particular car was built in October, 1950 and sold in Paris by Garage Royale Elysees, the French Jaguar distributor. Repainting and restoration of the wood and chrome was recently completed.
Drop Head Coupe Chassis Num: 640076 Engine Num: Z2808
Sold for $98,000 at 2007 Bonhams. William Lyon's line of SS cars was renamed to Jaguar by 1945, coinciding with the commencement of the post-war production. The designs, just like most other established automakers, used designs from the pre-war era. The MKV Series were powered by the existing six-cylinder overhead-valve engine that came in both 2.5- and 3.5-liter forms. There were slight changes to the aesthetics in the post-war era, such as faired-in headlamps, deeper bumpers, and rear wheel spats. It came in various bodystyles including drophead coupe or saloon, and were well equipped with proper luxurious amenities.
There were around 395 examples of the Jaguar MKV Drophead Coupe created. This particular example was manufactured in June of 1950 and then sent to the United States. The first owner was Miss Lena Horne, the famous jazz singer and actress who is best known for her performance in the 1943 20th Century Fox movie 'Stormy Weather.'
The current owner purchased the car in 2006. The following year it was offered for sale at auction. It is equipped with a tool kit. At the 2007 Bonhams Auction, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia, held at the Quail Lodge Resort & Golf Club in Carmel, California, the car was sold for $98,000 including premiums and taxes. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
The Mark V was first introduced in 1950 with total production reaching 550.
This car has a body modified by factory on saloon body. The original price was approx. $4500.
Previous owners: Robert Shwab, Edwin Keeble, Purchased from Edwin Keeble estate in 1985.
1st in Class-St. Louis Jaguar Club. 1st in Class-Music city Jaguar Club. 1st in Class-Jaguar Clubs of Carolinas. Peoples Choice Award-Hilton Head 2006. First in Class-National Jaguar Concours JNAC Challenge.
Body off restoration 4 years to complete.
Drop Head Coupe Chassis Num: 647145 Engine Num: Z2120 Gearbox Num: JH3224
Sold for $88,000 at 2013 RM Auctions. This 3.5-liter Drophead Coupe was purchased new in Paris, reported by American diplomat David Scott, who was in France working on the Marshall Plan. The original owner later donated the car to a museum, where it remained for many years. The third and present owner commissioned a complete restoration upon acquisition. In the spring of 2013, it was further refreshed. The car has the desirable tool kit, a four-speed manual transmission, and the 3.5-liter overhead valve six-cylinder engine. At all four corners are Girling hydraulic brakes.
Drop Head Coupe
This Jaguar Mark V DHC was found in India in junk yard condition and then taken to England where it was given a body-off restoration. The current owner then purchased the car. The car was still not in show condition so in 2009 another restoration was completed as is shown here. It is powered by a 3,485 cc six-cylinder engine which produces 125 horsepower.
The Jaguar Mark V was produced from 1949 through 1951. The series was first introduced in 1948 at a Motor Show where it shared the stage with the breath-taking Jaguar XK120. The Mark V was positioned by Jaguar to retire the aging 1.5-, 2.5-, and 3.5-Litre vehicles which were pre-war designs.
The 2.5-Liter Mark V was the entry-level version of the series. The engine was a design by the Standard Engine Company. Drum brakes could be found on all four corners.
In total, there were 1675 examples produced. The vehicle was available as a 4-door saloon with seating for four. Or a drop-head coupe with two doors and seating for four. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2006
Jaguar has been producing large, separate chassis saloon vehicles that began with the Mk VII since 1950. The final derivative arrived in the Jaguar Mk IX in 1958 which utilized the famous XK engine which had evolved into a powerful 3.8 liter unit. This engine was enough to haul this large saloon vehicle up to a top speed of 117 mph.
Produced from 1958 until 1961 the Jaguar MK IX had a total production rate of 10,009 units built. Unveiled at the Earls Court London Motor show during the fall of 1958, the MK IX was virtually identical to its predecessor the MK VIII. Most of the mechanics were updates though. The engine capacity was increased to 3.8 liters by the adaption of a 3.8 version of the XK engine, achieved by increasing the stroke from 83mm to 87mm and utilizing a slightly taller block.
Retaining the existing 'B' type cylinder, as fitted to the 3.4 engine in the MK VIII, this engine went on to be fitted to the XK 150 sports vehicle the next year in both standard, and up-rated 'S' state of tune. Upgrading the previous braking system to Dunlop 4 wheel disc system, the power steering was also made available as a standard fitment. Debuting in late models, this system was featured in models of the MK VIII. This was driven by a Hobourn Eaton pump driven by a take-off at the rear of the dynamo.
As it was currently superbly equipped, not much was changed or updated on the interior of the MK VIII. The largest update was the up-rating of the heater system which had previously been criticized as once being marginal. A vast majority of the MK IX's were sold with a dual color scheme with a darker color on top, much like other MK VIII's. Production of the low volume MK VIIIB continued throughout the life of the MK IX.
The body of the Mk IX was identical as the one used on the previous Mk VIII, though the addition of an improved heater and a new badge distinguished it from the previous model. The MK IX came with power steering, all-round disc brakes and a choice of either manual or automatic transmission. This new model was considered to be on the same level as the current Bentley S-type, though it was a third of the price.
In 1961, the Mk IX was finally replaced by the Mk X, which marked the end of a distinguished line of separate chassis Jaguar saloons.By Jessica Donaldson
In 2017 the Amelia Island Concours dElegances traditional Friday and Saturday seminars offer backstage passes to the world of Japanese racing and high performance cars. On Saturday, the racers who helped...
The 22nd annual Amelia Island Concours dElegance will honor the immortal Jaguar D-type on the 60th anniversary of its third consecutive and final victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the race it was created...
Despite taking place across the channel, the Bonhams sale Les Grandes Marques au Grand Palais in Paris on 9th February will witness the sale of some of Britains finest motor cars. More than 30 vehicles...