Concept Carz Home
 CoupesArrow PictureManufacturersArrow PictureLincolnArrow PictureModel KB (1932 - 1934)Arrow Picture1932 Lincoln Model KB 
1933 Model KB Image Right
 

1932 Lincoln Model KB news, pictures, specifications, and information

Coupe
Coachwork: Dietrich
 
Henry Leland founded the Cadillac Motor Car Company in 1903 from the remains of Henry Ford's second failed attempt to start an auto company. In 1917, Leland found the Lincoln Motor Company and built a high caliber automobile that was very well-built, but rather lack-luster in its design. When the Ford Motor Company acquired the company in 1922, Edsel Ford (Henry's Son) used his talents to transform the design into beautiful, luxurious cars.

This 1932 Lincoln KB Coupe wears a custom coachwork body by Raymond Dietrich of Detroit. It is a rare automobile and one of just 17 examples produced at a factory price of $5,150. The current owner's grandfather, a Lincoln dealer in Kalamazoo, Michigan, ordered the car new in the 1930s. It was rescued from a junkyard in 1951 and treated to a restoration by the current owner in 2001.

For 1932, Lincoln offered two distinct automobiles. The KA was powered by the venerable Lincoln V-8 on a 136-inch wheelbase chassis and the KB was powered by the new Lincoln V-12 on the 145-inch wheelbase chassis. The new 447 cubic inch V-12 produced 150 horsepower.

Custom coachwork was available on the KB chassis only and one of the most beautiful bodies designed for that chassis in 1932 was the coupe by Dietrich & Company of Detroit.

This Lincoln was rescued from a Michigan junkyard in 1951 and received a complete restoration between 1999 and 2001.
Coupe
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
 
Henry Martin Leland is inextricably linked as the brilliant engineer who founded Cadillac. He was 74 years old when he quit General Motors after a quarrel with Billy Durant. Leland set up a company to produce Liberty engines receiving a $10 million advance contract from the Federal government. As the war ended, Leland was beset with a huge factory, 6000 employees, and mounting debt; so he did what he knew best. He built an automobile. Within three hours of announcing his new automobile (named Lincoln-after the first president for whom Leland had voted), Leland raised $6.5 million in stock. Despite brilliant engineering, the cars were rather conservative in appearance and thanks to his tenacious attention to detail, late in getting to the market. After 17 months, just 3,400 had been sold. Leland's Board of Directors was quick to find a solution to mounting costs. On February 4, 1922, Ford Motor Company bought the Lincoln Motor Company for $8 million....Leland departed just four months later.

Nobody championed the cause of the twelve-cylinder engine more enthusiastically during the 1930's and 1940's than did Lincoln, beginning in 1932 with the KB-series cars. The new 447.9 cubic-inch V-12 was rated at 150 horsepower and was available in either a Dietrich- or Judkins-bodied semi-custom coupe. The Judkins body, like this car, featured formal styling with sharper lines and a leather-covered roof. Priced at $5,100 when equipped with a trunk or $5,350 when fitted with a rumbleseat, just 23 were built for the model year.
Berline Two-Window
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
Chassis Num: KB1644
 
Sold for $140,800 at 2005 RM Auctions.
According to factory records, this vehicle, KB1644, has custom coachwork by Judkins Company of Amesbury, Massachusetts. The aluminum body was built as the Salon exhibition car and was displayed at the Drake Hotel in Chicago, the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles and the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. From this actual display car, only six total orders were received by Lincoln, who forwarded the color and prospective owner's option specifications to Judkins Company for production. During restoration, the body and wheels were refinished in the original color of Jade Mist, the fenders, moldings and upper panels in Birmingham Green and pinstripe in silver, the interior is duplicated in Wiese Bedford Cord cloth.

The Lincoln custom line of vehicles was usually assigned the largest of chassis and motors. The engine is a 448 cubic-inch, fork and blade V-12 producing 150 horsepower with separate cylinder blocks and was an engineering masterpiece in the multi-cylinder race with Packard and Cadillac. This motor is coupled to a three-speed transmission with integral free-wheeling. This vehicle has a wheelbase of 145 inches with four-wheel vacuum assisted servo mechanical drum brakes and tips the scale at over six-thousand pounds.
LeBaron Convertible Roadster
Designer: LeBaron
 
In 1932, Lincoln produced 1,515 KB or 12-cylinder vehicles and only produced 112 examples of this Model 248 LeBaron Convertible Roadster. It is powered by a 448 cubic inch, V-12 engine developing 150 horsepower. The car weighs 5,535 pounds, set on a 145-inch wheelbase and sold for $4,600.

The present owner purchased the car in 1989 and had it restored in 2002.
Convertible Victoria by Waterhouse
Coachwork: Waterhouse
Chassis Num: KB9
Engine Num: KB9
 
Sold for $203,500 at 2007 Gooding & Company.
During the early 1930s, the Great Depression was in full swing and the automotive industry was busy at work attempting to attract customers as their pool of potential buyers continued to dwindle. At least seven marque's introduced V12 flagship models in hopes that horsepower was the way to customer's hearts.

For Lincoln, their V12 model was the KB, which had a top speed of 100 mph and rode on a 145-inch wheelbase. Custom coachbuilders were invited to work their magic on this platform to create vehicles that met the customer's demands and wishes. One of those artisans was Waterhouse, who enjoyed a lifespan of just six years, and clothed approximately 300 chassis for DuPont, Packard, Chrysler, Marmon, Pierce-Arrow, Stutz and Lincoln, among others.

The Waterhouse bodied Convertible Victoria was based on a design of Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky for Belgian coachbuilder Van den Plas. Waterhouse's main designer, George Weaver, refined and improved the design. The most distinct improvement was the way the large soft top folded completely into the body.

There were a mere 10 examples of the Waterhouse Convertible Victoria created on the Lincoln KB chassis. One was brought to the 1932 New York Auto Salon, where it wore colors of light tan and light green with a tan leather interior.

D.U. 'Dee' Howard of San Antonio, Texas gained a reputation for converting military aircraft to commercial use. He was a noted collector and restorer who decided to recreate the 1932 New York Show car. The result was an accurate reconstruction of the Waterhouse Victoria using the same techniques and materials as used in 1932. It was built atop an original KB chassis and done to the finest standards.

The result of the recreation was rewarded in 1989 at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it took a First in the 'American and European Classic, New Coachwork' class.

After its Pebble Beach display, it was put into a climate controlled showroom and operated sparingly since that time.

In 2007 this 1932 Lincoln KB in the style of Waterhouse 'Convertible Victoria' was brought to the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, CA where it was estimated to sell for $190,000 - $240,000. As the gavel fell for the third and final time, this former Pebble Beach winner had been sold for the sum of $203,500 including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
Dual Windshield Phaeton
Coachwork: Brunn
Chassis Num: KB1367
 
Sold for $269,500 at 2012 RM Auctions.
In 1908, Hermann A. Brunn established his own company at Buffalo, New York. He had apprenticed with his uncle in the carriage trade and his new company was intended to use that skill in constructing automobile bodies. The early examples were one-off's built atop of prestigious chassis. Their first automaker customer was Lincoln; Hermann Brunn had been introduced to Henry Leland by a friend. Before long, Brunn was producing 20 bodies a month with most being sent to Lincoln. Brunn would stay in business until 1941, making them one of the longest running of their craft.

Judkins was tasked with creating the coupes and berlines, Willoughby the limousine bodies, and LeBaron the convertible sedans. Brunn bodied the town cars and convertibles.

Lincoln's new V12 engine introduced in 1932 meant the bodies could become larger and more refined, as the 150 horsepower was more than adequate to carry the stately bodies. The engine would be the last of the Henry Leland era to use the fork-and-blade connecting rods. The L-head unit had a 65-degree angle and displaced 447.9 cubic-inches.

Lincoln had four cars constructed for the 1932 show circuit. Brunn bodied a Double Entry Sport sedan and this Double Windshield Phaeton; Rollston created a Seven-Passenger Town Car and LeBaron created a Town Cabriolet. This car, with chassis number KB1367, has two raked windshields which gives it a very low roofline.

After the show circuit the car was sold to a Long Beach, California resident on June 7th of 1932. The current owner has treated this car to a complete restoration. Part of the reconstruction work of needed parts was handled by Hermann C. Brunn, son of the Brunn & Company founder. Herman apprenticed with Kellner in Paris and later worked for his father until joining Ford Motor Company when the family firm closed. The original blueprints for the car were used during the restoration.

Upon completion in 2003, the car was brought to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it won Best in Class for prewar Lincolns and the Most Significant Design award, presented by Ford Motor Company.

The car is painted in its original color of Belmont Brown. In 2008 this 1932 Lincoln Model K Dual Windshield Phaeton was brought to the 2008 Automobiles of Amelia presented by RM Auctions where it was estimated to sell for $600,000 - $800,000. Bidding reached $575,000 but was not enough to satisfy the vehicles reserve; the car was left unsold.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
The 1930s was an exciting time for automotive development, though the true level of achievement would be hindered by the Great Depression. The cylinder wars began in the 1920's. Companies who relied solely on style, such as Pierce Arrow, were eventually out of business. Cadillac had raised the bar with their V12 and V16 engines. Marmon was quick to respond, introducing their version of the massive sixteen cylinder engine. Lincoln responded with a seven bearing, V12 engine with separate cylinder blocks, and fork and blade connecting rods. The engine was potent, powerful and durable. It did have a flaw and that was in the cost of manufacturing. It was so expensive, that within two years it was no longer offered. It had been replaced by a conventional design that was more cost effective. The engine may have prevailed if not for the Great Depression, which was dwindling the numbers of potential buyers and making competition fierce in the luxury car segment.

The Lincoln automobiles were stylish and luxurious with many receiving custom bodies from some of the era's greatest coachbuilders including Waterhouse, LeBaron, Dietrich, Judkins, and Willoughby. Many of the creations were unique and built specifically for the customer. The most popular designs were group ordered by Lincoln and made available to a wider selection of buyers. This decreased the delivery time while maintaining a high level of quality. The bodies were built in advance with some available to customers to be trimmed to their exact specifications.

By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2006
Berline Two-Window
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
Chassis Num: KB998
 
High bid of $90,000 at 2006 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
The 1930s was an exciting time for automotive development, though the true level of achievement would be hindered by the Great Depression. The cylinder wars began in the 1920's. Companies who relied solely on style, such as Pierce Arrow, were eventually out of business. Cadillac had raised the bar with their V12 and V16 engines. Marmon was quick to respond, introducing their version of the massive sixteen cylinder engine. Lincoln responded with a seven bearing, V12 engine with separate cylinder blocks, and fork and blade connecting rods. The engine was potent, powerful and durable. It did have a flaw and that was in the cost of manufacturing. It was so expensive, that within two years it was no longer offered. It had been replaced by a conventional design that was more cost effective. The engine may have prevailed if not for the Great Depression, which was dwindling the numbers of potential buyers and making competition fierce in the luxury car segment.

The Lincoln automobiles were stylish and luxurious with many receiving custom bodies from some of the era's greatest coachbuilders including Waterhouse, LeBaron, Dietrich, Judkins, and Willoughby. Many of the creations were unique and built specifically for the customer. The most popular designs were group ordered by Lincoln and made available to a wider selection of buyers. This decreased the delivery time while maintaining a high level of quality. The bodies were built in advance with some available to customers to be trimmed to their exact specifications.

This 1932 Lincoln Model KB Sport Coupe shown with chassis number KB998 has coachwork by Judkins and was displayed in Automobile Quarterly in 1978. The interior is cloth with a Philco Transistone Radio and a Waltham electric clock. The exterior is just as extravagant with a rumble seat, luggage rack, and leather roof.

It was estimated to fetch between $125,000 - $150,000 at the 2006 RM Auction in Meadow Brook. A high bid of $90,000 was not able to satisfy the reserve and the car remained unsold.

By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2007
Sport Phaeton
 
Lincoln stepped into the multi-cylinder era when it introduced its fabled 12-cylinder KB series. Produced in very low quantity, this series offered a large variety of body styles from a variety of sources. This handsome Dual Cowl Phaeton was a product of Lincoln's own custom shops and graced Lincoln's large 145-inch wheelbase chassis mated to the 448 cubic-inch V-12 engine.
Berline Two-Window
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
Chassis Num: KB998
 
High bid of $90,000 at 2006 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
The J. B. Judkins Company of Amesbury, Massachusetts built this car as a 'Catalog Custom.' According to surviving records, this car was built as a Salon exhibition car. It was finished in early1 1932. Only six examples were created. It was built on their largest chassis with a 448 cubic-inch V12 engine, and weighs over six thousand pounds.

The car was shown at the Drake Hotel in Chicago, the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles and the Palace Hotel in San Francisco.

The body and wheels are painted the correct color of Jade Mist with the fenders, moldings and upper panels in 'Birmingham Green.' The interior is Weese Bedford whip cloth (code W-1902). The car selling price was $5,415.

By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2007
Berline Two-Window
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
Chassis Num: KB1303
 
The 1932 Lincoln KB model line was available with in-house coachwork but a few, such as this example by Judkins, were bodied by outside coachbuilders. This car is one of only 24 Lincoln Judkins coupes built in 1932, and is believed to be the only surviving example with a rumble seat. This, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, is the 'debut' of this 1932 Lincoln Coupe by Judkins. In its 75 years of existence, it had never been restored or shown at a concours of any automobile, event before the Amelia Island Concours weekend.

This Classic Lincoln, #KB 1303, with its V12 engine, a first for Lincoln Motor Company, is 448 cubic-inches, producing 150 horsepower at 3400 RPM. It was sold and delivered March 16, 1932 by a Long Island, NY car dealer. There were 24 Judkins Coupes built in 1932 and it is not known how many had rumble seats, but this is the only known survivor with a factory-installed rumble seat. The car rides on a 145-inch wheelbase.

The original buyer is unknown, as is its history - until the 1950s when a young teenager spotted the car at a local service station in Connecticut, and was smitten. It was thought that the car was currently owned by a Yale student and was in need of some repairs. The young man's quest to own the car was not fulfilled at that time, but in the late 1960s he had an opportunity to purchase the car. Over the next three decades the car passed through several owners, each planning to restore and drive the car, but none reached completion until now.

By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2013
Berline Two-Window
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
Chassis Num: KB1303
 
In the 1932 Lincoln portfolio, the senior KB model line was available in both in-house designed body styles and a few by outside coachbuilders such as Dietrich, Judkins and LeBaron. This featured car is one of only 24 Lincoln custom Judkins coupes produced in 1932, and is believed to be the only surviving example with a rumble seat.

The John B. Judkins coachbuilding company was founded in the mid 1800's and became part of a rich history of horse-and-buggy coach works located around Amesbury, New England. It started designing and producing car bodies as early as 1895, and supplied to the Winton Motor Car Company. Through its subsidiary Merrimac, it also designed and built for duPont and Packard. Renowned designers Sergeant an Charles Waterhouse worked for Judkins before starting their own design house in 1928. Other noted designers, such as Ford styling John F. Dobben and former LeBaron designer R.L. Stickney, had also worked at Judkins. Besides this Jerkins coupe, Judkins had also designed the 1926 Lincoln Model L Coaching Brougham.

This 'top-of-the-line' Judkins Coupe is equipped with the powerful 150 horsepower V12 engine, and features a convenient golf club door. This premium vehicle came at a price approximately 12 times that of the standard Ford. The recent restoration was completed just in time to celebrate the car's 75th anniversary.
Berline Two-Window
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
Chassis Num: KB998
 
High bid of $90,000 at 2006 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
This Lincoln features Custom Coachwork by Judkins Company of Amesbury, Massachusetts. The aluminum body was built for the Auto Salon shows at the Drake Hotel in Chicago, the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles, and the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. From this display car an additional six bodies were produced and each was custom tailored to the purchaser's unique specifications. The finish is the original color of the Jade Mist and Birmingham Green.

The KB Lincoln is powered by a 448 cubic-inch, 150 horsepower, V-12 that still maintains Lincoln's Ford-and-Blade rod technology. The wheelbase is 145-inches and the car weighs shy of 6,000 pounds.
Convertible Roadster
Designer: LeBaron
Chassis Num: KB47
Engine Num: KB47
 
The Lincoln Model KB was built on a 145-inch wheelbase and received coachwork from such legendary names as Dietrich, Judkins, Brunn, Murphy, Lebaron, Willoughby, and Waterhouse. The fork-and-blade connecting rod arrangement which had been in use since the first Leland Lincoln V-8s of 1920 was used in the marque's first V-12, introduced in 1932.

Chassis number KB47 is a Convertible Roadster with coachwork by LeBaron. It was the first KB convertible roadster produced by LeBaron on the KB. It received a restoration that was completed in the mid-1980s and it has aged marvelously. It was once part of the Matt & Barbara Browning collection and has been in the current owner's possession since 2000. Since then, it has been given a new blue fabric top which compliments its deep-blue finish and red upholstery. The top folds below the beltline and there is a golf-bag door on the right side.

This car was shipped to Chicago on December 9th of 1931 and became Lincoln's Chicago Auto Show KB exhibit. It wears body number 460 and is powered by the 115th KB engine produced.

In 2009, this LeBaron bodied Convertible Roadster was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona where it was estimated to sell for $275,000 - $375,000. Bidding failed to reach the vehicles reserve and the lot was left unsold.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
Berline
Coachwork: Judkins
 
The coachbuilding firm of Judkins and Company of Amesbury, Massachusetts, began building horse-drawn carriages under the guidance of John B. Judkins and became one of America's most respected coachbuilders, surviving into the late 1930s. This vehicle has a Berline body built by Judkins on top of the famed Lincoln KB V12 chassis. It offers elegance and slightly sporting feel.
By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2010
Sport Touring
Designer: LeBaron
Chassis Num: KB933
 
High bid of $93,000 at 2004 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
Sold for $115,500 at 2011 RM Auctions.
This KB is one of just 1,515 such chassis produced for 1932, and one of only 24 Style 233 Seven-Passenger Touring cars originally built that year.

This Lincoln KB Model 233 Touring car spent some years in Jamaica and then returned to the United States where it was thoroughly restored to concours-quality standards during 1975 and 1976. After the work was complete, the car enjoyed a successful show career that included the achievement of AACA Junior and Senior awards, among other honors.

The current owner acquired the car in 2005. In 2011, the car was offered for sale at RM Auction's Arizona sale where it was estimated to sell for $350,000 - $450,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $346,500, inclusive of buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2011
Coupe
Coachwork: Dietrich
 
This elegant vee-windshield coupe was penned by Raymond H. Dietrich. Mounted on Lincoln's 145-inch KB chassis and powered by its famous 447 cubic-inch V12, this is the ultimate two-passenger luxury conveyance (with room for two more in the rumble seat). This car came from a long-hidden collection of Lincolns owned by a reclusive San Francisco refuse collector named Tony Porta, a man with a connoisseur's eye for automotive style. The KB weighs about 5,900 pounds and could go 95 mph. The exterior featured a rounded radiator shell and hood doors, which replaced louvers. Single-bar bumpers and fender-mounted parking lamps were introduced as well. The line continued until 1934, when one series of Lincolns was manufactured: the Lincoln Model K.
Coupe
Designer: Judkins Company of Amesbury
Engine Num: KB473
 
Sold for $154,000 at 2012 RM Auctions.
This Lincoln KB Coupe with coachwork by Judkins entered the Ruger Collection in 1995 and then brought to the Pebble Beach Concours that same year where it earned a Third in Class. The car is finished in Birmingham Green and Jade Mist with painted wire wheels and riding on Michelin blackwall tires. The car is equipped with dual horns, fog lights, dual side-mounted spare tires with Lincoln script mirrors, and smoked-glass sun visors. All pot metal components have been replaced by cast brass and bronze, all the way down to the carburetors parts and steering column levers. The drive train has been upgraded with the installation of a transmission and rear axle from 1935, which provides much taller gear ratios and better synchromesh, allowing for faster cruising with less stress on the engine. Aftermarket turn signals have been installed for safer touring.

In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the St. Johns sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $140,000 - $200,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $154,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2012
Convertible Sedan
Coachwork: Dietrich
 
The 1932 Lincoln KB with Dietrich Convertible Sedan coachwork is perhaps the most desirable Lincoln of the Classic Era. The Lincoln KB was offered in 16 different body styles designed by top coachbuilders. Raymond Dietrich built 20 convertible sedans on the 1932 KB chassis. This sedan can be transformed into a formal chauffeur-driven car with a closed rear compartment by raising the divider window located in the back of the front seat. It can also be used more informally as an ordinary sedan or, in fair weather, as a sporting open car. This car was restored in the late 1980s by Fran Roxas. It was First in Class at Pebble Beach in 1989 and has won many other awards.
Murphy Sport Roadster
Coachwork: Murphy
 
The flagship car for the entire 1932 Ford line was the Lincoln Model KB. With its smooth-running V12 engines and highly appointed body styles, it had few rivals. The KB provided more performance than the earlier Model K and was offered with a wider array of bodies. It was magnificent when used around town or as a fast tourer, and its good looks and performance compared favorably to similar models from Cadillac and Packard. Around 1,500 KBs were built in 1932, and this is the first and only surviving example of five roadsters bodied by Murphy of Pasadena. It was first shown at the New York Auto Show.
Berline
Coachwork: Judkins
 
This Lincoln KB Berline Custom by Judkins was the 1932 Los Angeles show car and was purchased new by G. Henry Stetson, son to John Stetson of Stetson hat fame. He sold it in 1951, and the car passed to its current owner in 2006. This Judkins Berline is one of only three known to exist. The Berline body, built on the famed Lincoln KB V12 chassis, provides its owners with both formal elegance and a slightly sporting feel. The coach-building firm of Judkins & Company of Amesbury, Massachusetts, was one of America's most respected coachbuilders, surviving into the very late 1930s.
Convertible Roadster
Designer: LeBaron
 
Henry Martin Leland is the brilliant engineer who founded Cadillac. He was 74 years old when he quit General Motors after a quarrel with Billy Durant. Leland set up a company to produce Liberty engines receiving a $10 million advance contract from the federal government. As the war ended, Leland was beset with a huge factory, 6,000 employees, and mounting debt, so he did what he knew best. He built an automobile. Despite brilliant engineering, the cars were rather conservative in appearance and thanks to his tenacious attention to detail, late in getting to the market. After 17 months, just 3,400 had been sold. Leland's board of directors were quick to find a solution to mounting costs. On February 4, 1922, Ford Motor Company bought the Lincoln Motor Company for $8 million, and Leland departed just four months later.

Nobody championed the cause of the 12-cylinder engine more enthusiastically during the 1930s and 1940s than did Lincoln, beginning in 1932 with the KB-series cars powered by a 447.9 cubic-inch / 150 horsepower V-12.

This Lincoln KB Convertible Coupe with coachwork by LeBaron wears a fresh restoration.
Produced in an effort to prove that he could compete with the best Automobile manufacturers in the world, Henry Ford built the Lincoln. Rivaling the most beautiful vehicles of the Classic Era, this vehicle is a demonstration of the success of his venture.

With a body that built by the Dietrich coach building firm, the elegant Lincoln KB was introduced in 1932. A total of 2,108 units were produced during the one year of the Lincoln KB's production.

With a 145 inch wheelbase, the KB had an amazing production rate of 150 horses, with power being supplied by a massive 448 cubic inch V12. There was also a compression ratio of 5.25 to 1 with seven main bearings. Stunning lines swept the sides of the vehicle along with wire wheels and dual side-mount space tires.

With a relatively short sedan body, the rumble seat allowed drivers to carry passengers in the rear. One could also carry additional baggage on the folding luggage rack that was made by Beals and Selkirk.

The interior of the vehicle was ensconced with only the most elegant and luxurious materials that included quality wool broadcloth, burled hardwoods, the best materials, and the perfect amount of bright work.

By Jessica Donaldson
Becoming a vehicle that was known for luxury, the Lincoln underwent a total transformation in 1931. Re-powered, re-styled, and becoming lower-priced, this entire transformation was done under the censorship of Edsel Ford. The Lincoln Model K replaced the Model L, and only a total of forty five models were ever produced.

With an increased horsepower from 90 to 120, the newly added Stromberg carburetor increased the engine with 384.8 cubic inches. With a price significantly lower than any other Lincolns, the Model K 7-passenger Touring vehicle was used primarily as a limousine. Though at $4,400, the model K still cost ten times the amount of a Ford.

The largest updates were contained in the body style. The wheel base was now increased to 145 inches with a longer hood, and rounded bumpers which now gave it a low and sleek profile. Dual trumpet horns and large bowl-shaped head lights now gave the front a stunning look. Utilized mainly as a limousine, sales were less than half of what they were in the late 1920s due to the Depression.

A reflection of the earlier Ford Model K, the Lincoln K-series was a luxury vehicle line that was produced until 1942. A V12 became standard in 1933, while the original K-Series featured a 385 in³ (6.3 L) V8. The option of ordering a fully custom coachwork was available for customers.

Appearing on a new chassis in 1931, the original Model K had a 145 in (3683 mm) wheelbase. Available as a dual cowl model, factory bodies were a 2 or 4-door phaeton. A derivative of the earlier L-series 60° V8, the 384.8 in³ (6.3 L) engine had a dual downdraft Stromberg carburetors, altered timing upped power to 120 hp (89 kW), and higher compression.

Splitting into two lines in 1932, the Lincoln K-series featured the carryover Model KA and the new V12-powered Model KB. The engine output was pushed to 125 hp (93 kW) while the V8 car reverted to a 136 in (3454 mm) wheelbase. Producing 150 hp (112 kW), the KB featured the marque's new V12, 447.9 in³ (7.3 L) 65° L-head unit. These two new lines featured a new grille with less of a surround, and vent doors rather than vertical louvers on the sides of the hood. Both series also featured a parking light on top of each front fender and 18 inch wire wheels.

The Model KA V8 engine was replaced in 1933 with a new 381.7 in³ (6.3 L) V12. The large KB engine shared very few similarities with this new L-head engine. Only a few minor changes that were readily visible occurred on the 1933 K-series. The return of hood louvers and the deletion of the bar linking the headlights were by far the most obvious updates. The chassis was also revised, along with thermostatic shock absorbers and transmission.

In 1934, the V12 engines were replaced by a single 414 in³ (6.8 L) version of the updated model KA V12. The KA and KB nameplates now denoted the wheelbase only. For this year, the only styling updates included the replacement again of the louvers with doors on the side of the hood, and a body-colored grille surround.
For 1935, the Lincoln line was trimmed down considerable, as all vehicles where simply referred to as the Model K. Putting focus on the lofty over-$4,000 segment, the marque was attempting to improve profitability, though unfortunately limiting sales in the depression devastated US.

The following year, a more modern Lincoln Zephyr was debuted. Costing much less, the Model K's days were considerably numbered. However, despite its high $4700 price-tag, a 7-passenger Model K limousine was the marque's best-selling model for 1936. A new and improved raked windshield and pressed steel wheels were also part of this years update.

Continuing in production for the next five more years, the Model K unfortunately faced a decrease in sales in comparison to the more modern Zephyr and the new flagship Continental which became more appealing to buyers. Though production was mostly ended with the 1939 model year, one final Model K, the 1942 model was a one-off 'Sunshine Special' convertible limousine that was built especially for President Roosevelt.

By Jessica Donaldson
For more information and related vehicles, click here

RM Auctions Amelia Island Preview - 2014
{image20} RM Auctions, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles, will hold its Amelia Island, Florida, sale on March 8th at the Ritz-Carlton. As the official auction house of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's Amelia Island sale will feature a magnificent selection of more than 80 handpicked automobiles, with an emphasis on important and historic sports and racing cars, along with elegant coachbuilt classics. Full events details, including a frequently ...[Read more...]
Two Best of Show Winners : Similar Designs : Same Owner
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours d'Elegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top wears coachwork by LeBaron. In 2012, it won the Best of Show title (for an American car) at the Concours d'Elegance of America at St. Johns. The other car is a Packard 2 door Convertible Victoria with coachwork by Dietrich. It won this years Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Best of Show honors...[Read more...]
63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Names 1934 Packard 'Best of Show'
The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best of Show at the 63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, held Sunday on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links at Pebble Beach Resorts. The event showcased 248 cars from 36 states and 12 countries and raised $1,277,007 for charity. 'This Pack...[Read more...]
Lincoln at Los Angeles Auto Show Press Days: Celebration of Its Past and Future As Brand Rolls Out Its Reinvention
> The brand pays tribute to its heritage today, displaying seven of the most influential Lincoln designs > Thursday sees a display full of the all-new MKZ premium midsize sedan and MKZ Hybrid, the future of Lincoln, on the Lincoln stand > Lincoln launches on Tumblr http://lincolnnow.tumblr.com beginning with the visually stunning classic Lincolns shown on the stand and select images from archives. Continues with an all-new collection of photographs by photographers Jamie Beck and Kevin Burg ...[Read more...]
Final Countdown Underway to RM's Michigan Sale
RM Auctions, the official auction house of the Concours d'Elegance of America, has secured a wonderful selection of classic automobiles for its St. John's sale, July 28, in Plymouth, Michigan. Hosted on the beautiful grounds of the Inn at St. John's, the single-day sale is a mainstay on the auction concours circuit and boasts a reputation for including exceptional American classics. The upcoming sale, featuring more than 70 quality collector cars, presents nearly a century of American and Eu...[Read more...]

Arrow Right 1932 Lincoln models
Lincoln Model KA

Collectible: A Gathering of the Exceptional and Captivating
Similar Automakers
CadillacChevrolet
ChryslerDodge
FordGMC
HummerJeep
MercuryPontiac
Saturn
Similarly Priced Vehicles from 1932
Cadillac 452B V16 ($4,495-$5,945)
Packard Model 903 Deluxe Eight ($3,700-$45,550)
Stutz Model DV-32 ($2,804-$7,643)

Average Auction Sale: $199,100

 
Lincoln: 1931-1940
Similar Automakers
Lincoln History
Other models by Lincoln
Manufacturer Website

Lincoln
Monthly Sales FiguresVolume
September 20147,257 
August 20148,146 
July 20147,863 
June 20147,271 
May 20148,845 
April 20146,803 
March 20148,969 
February 20146,661 
January 20145,973 
December 20137,984 
November 20136,727 
October 20137,131 
(More Details)

 
Blackwood
Capri
Continental
Cosmopolitan
K-Series
LS
Mark LT
MKS
MKT
MKX
MKZ
Model L
Navigator
Premiere
Town Car
Zephyr

1933 Model KB Image Right
© 1998-2014. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.