In 1929, Stutz dispatched three of its new Model M chassis to Paris, to the firm of Hibbard & Darrin. Hibbard-Darrin also produced one-off bodies for Duesenberg, Hispano-Suiza, Mercedes-Benz and Packard. Tom Hibbard and Howard 'Dutch' Darrin had roots in the American coachbuilding community, but they met in Paris and set up a thriving business there in the mid-1920s. They took on Minerva and built many bodies for that marque but are most famous for their individual designs, such as this example with torpedo style fenders, or 'wheel pants' as they were called on racing aircraft.
The three Stutz models supplied to Hibbard & Darrin were to be fitted with unique coachwork. One of them, this car, was fitted with convertible victoria coachwork, parabolic cycle-type fenders, dual rear-mounted spare tires and a unique extended hood that swept past the fire-wall to the base of the windshield. This design would become a styling trend among the vogue American coachbuilders in the years that followed.
Harry Stutz's marque, known for the legendary Bearcat, was also renowned for building performance automobiles. All Stutz's in 1929 were Model M's, and all were powered by a 322 cubic-inch, 113 horsepower overhead camshaft straight-eight engine installed on a 134.5 inch wheelbase chassis. The braking system consists of Lockheed vacuum-assisted, 4-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. It was the last year for Lovejoy dual hydraulic shock absorbers. Like many of its competitors, Stutz offered a vast array of models in an effort to compete in the luxury market.
Stutz delivered 2,320 cars in 1929, but similar to many of its competitors, the Indianapolis firm became a victim of the Depression in 1934.
This car arrived stateside in time for the New York Automobile Salon in December of 1929. A total restoration was completed in 2004.
Sold for $715,000 at 2006 RM Sothebys. Sold for $660,000 at 2010 RM Sothebys. The Stutz Company was named after its founder, Harry Stutz, who had a strong engineering background, beginning with a spectacular initial success at Indianapolis in 1911. This victory earned the company a reputation as 'the car that made good in a da [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2015
The ultimate formal Stutz, this town car pairs a racing-bred chassis with crisp and elegant coachwork. Lebaron Carrossiers was founded in New York by former Brewster employees Ray Dietrich and Tom Hibbard, soon joined by Ralph Roberts. Dietrich said [Read More...]
Sold for $282,000 at 2011 Bonhams. Sold for $302,500 at 2015 RM Sothebys. The company that bore Harry C. Stutz's surname was a low production, quality company that had a reputation for their performance and speed. They were victorious in the American racing scene, and were a dominant force with the 'White Squadron' racing [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
Sold for $264,000 at 2014 Bonhams. The Stutz Company was well known for their performance and speed. During the teens, their 'White Squadron' racing team were very successful in American racing. Despite the various market trends, the company never abandoned its sporting heritage. [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
The Stutz marque was a low production company that built a reputation for their speed and performance. Their 'White Squadron' racing team had a very successful reputation in the American racing scene during the teens and the Bearcat has always been c [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2017
In 1876, Harry C. Stutz was born. He grew up on the family farm where he often helped repair their farm equipment. This led to a fascination with engines and in 1897 he built his first car; soon after he began designing and creating engines. The Stutz Company, based in Indianapolis, Indiana, introduced its first production vehicle in 1911. The vehicle, after only five months of design and build, was immediately entered in the inaugural Indianapolis 500 mile race where it captured an 11th place finish. Not bad for its first vehicle and first race. Throughout the company's life span, it would endure good and bad times. The Stutz Company was in production during World War I and the Great Depression, both responsible for negatively affecting Industry. Stutz will be forever remembered for their Bearcat model, a vehicle produced until 1925. This pure-bred race car had an aggressive and masculine stance; the interior was void of luxury and amenities. With its high revving straight 8-cylinder overhead camshaft engine and lightweight construction, the vehicle was poised to compete in national and international competition.
In 1919, Harry Stutz was forced by stock holders to leave his company. In 1922, Charles Schwab was given control of the company. In 1925, Schwab gave control of the company to Frederick Moskovics. Moskovic planed to revitalize the company by shifting the priorities from racing to producing luxurious automobiles. This did not mean that the company was to abandon its racing heritage, rather Moskovics wanted to expand its racing prowess by entering it in International competition. The 24 Hours of Le Mans is a grueling endurance battle that tests stamina, speed, and durability. In 1928 a Stutz Series BB Black Hawk Speedster, driven by Edouard Brisson and Robert Bloch, was entered in the French LeMans race. The vehicle did well, leading for most of the race. Half way through the 22nd hour, the gearbox broke on the Stutz and a Bentley 4.5-liter was able secure a first place finish. The Stutz was second, the best an American car had ever placed in this prestigious race.
In 1929, the Stutz Company decided to increase their chances of victory by entering more than one vehicle into the Le Mans race. The vehicles were designed and prepared especially for the race. Gordon Buehrig was tasked with designing the bodies for the 2-seater sportscars. A modified 5.5-liter straight 8-cylinder with a supercharger were placed in the front and powered the rear wheels. Three vehicles entered by Stutz Paris, Colonel Warwick Wright, and Charles Weymann were anxiously anticipating a repeat of the prior years success or possibly an overall victory. Sadly, only one vehicle would finish. Behind a fleet of Bentley's was the Stutz followed by a Chrysler 75. With a fifth place finish, the Stutz cars were no match for the powerful and agile Bentley Speed Six models.
In the early part of 1929, Moskovics resigned and Edgar Gorrell assumed the duties of president. Many manufacturers were developing multi-cylinder cars which attracted a larger market share of the already small luxury car market. The Stutz Company was not in a financial position to develop an engine of this caliber. Instead, Stutz embarked on developing an inline eight cylinder engine with single overhead cams. The result was the SV16, representing the side-valve 16 meaning that one exhaust and one intake valve per cylinder was allocated for the eight cylinders. By using the name SV16, it gave the vehicle an allure of equal capacity to other nameplates such as the Cadillac and Marmon V16. The SV-16 came equipped with a windshield safety glass and hydrostatic brakes. The chassis sat lower than most of the competition giving it an advantage through turns. During its production run, around 100 examples were produced.
Following on the heals of the SV16 was the DV-32. The engine featured updraft Schebler carburetors and four valves per cylinder equaling 32 valves and dual overhead camshafts. The power-plant was capable of producing 156 horsepower. The vehicle sat atop of a 145 inch wheelbase and outfitted with Stutz 8 hubcaps. At $6,400 these vehicles were extremely expensive at the time.
The Stutz 8 was produced from 1926 through 1935. The engine produced just over 90 horsepower. Within a few years, horsepower had been incrased to over 115.
In 1928, the Blackhawk series was introduced. These sports cars were affordable, competitive, and compact; outfitted with a powerful engines.
During the close of the 1920's, the Stutz company was riddled with lawsuits, including 'breach-of-contract' over engine building. James Scripps-Booth entered a lawsuit about the low-slung worm drive design Stutz had been using. The Stutz Company was beginning to fall on hard times.
The demise on the race track would slowly transcend to the market place. For all of 1930, there were less than 1500 cars produced. Sales declined even more in the following years and in 1934, after only six Stutz cars produced, the factory closed its doors. This is not to suggest the racing results were solely responsible for the company's woes. The Great Depression crippled and destroyed many auto manufacturers at this time. Competition in design and technology was ever present and the dependable, mass-produced, low-cost automobile manufacturers were in the best positions to come out on top. The Stutz Company had an impressive racing heritage and its automobiles are legendary. The Stutz name is respected by many including those overseas.
In 1968 a New York banker named James O'Donnell incorporated Stutz Motor Car of America. Ghia was commissioned to create a design for the Stutz Blackhawk, which was shown to the public in 1970. Sales continued for more than a decade selling very strongly until 1987. Production slowed from 1987 until 1995 when production ceased. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006
The Stutz Series M coupe was introduced in 1929 and featured an auxiliary trunk, a rumble seat, and dual side-mount spare tires and wire wheels. Right above the front bumper are driving lights that turn in synchronization with the steering.
Before the Series M was the introduction of the Stutz Vertical Eight in 1926, which is considered to be ‘the most European of the US auto designs of the era'. The Stutz Model M Supercharged Coupe was dramatic, and featured a very low-slung, one-off coupe coachwork by Lancefield and is one of only 24 supercharged vehicles ever produced by Stutz. A total of 2,320 units Model M units were produced in 1929.
Featuring a rare supercharged engine, the Model M was spectacular in design and featured step plates, a sliding sunroof and cycle fenders that created a truly sporting appearance. Large Zeiss headlamps aided the vehicle in night driving. Originally the Lancefield body has been fabric-covered over wood; the Weymann body building method. The original advertisement was quoted as 'this striking motorcar holds the potential to become one of the premier entrants on the international concours d'elegance circuit.'By Jessica Donaldson
One of the highlighted features of the 2012 Gathering will be early supercharged automobiles. Heres a special example—a 1929 Stutz type MC with custom coachwork by Lancefield. This one-of-a-kind Stutz...
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours dElegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top...