The Cadillac Automobile Company was organized by Henry M. Leland in 1902. By 1905 the company was producing one car every 10 minutes. Work days were 10 hours long. A year later Cadillac set a new record, selling more cars than they had ever produced. Their one-cylinder cars were known for their reliability, durability, and quality. A successful advertising campaign also helped fuel sales.
The 1906 Model K had a 98.2 cubic-inch horizontal, one-cylinder engine that produced ten horsepower. Dunlop tires came standard, as did the twelve-spoke artillery-style wooden wheels. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2006
Sold for $38,500 at 2007 RM Auctions. This 1906 Cadillac Model K 4-Passenger Touring was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars sale at Hershey, PA presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $15,000 - $20,000 and offered without reserve. Bidding surpassed the estimates with the final bid settling at $38,500 including buyer's premium.
It is powered by a horizontal single-cylinder engine that displaces 98.2 cubic-inches and produces 10 horsepower. There is a two-speed planetary transmission and dual differential-mounted brakes. The 74-inch wheelbase is suspended in place by a solid front axle with transverse leaf springs and a live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and single chain drive.
The tonneau has been removed and a wood platform fitted in its place. The seat material is worn and missing button cushions, the body is fairly solid, and the fenders are slightly bent. One of the two brass headlamps is in very poor condition and missing its bracket. The radiator and side lamps are both missing. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
Sold for $110,000 at 2010 RM Auctions. The Model K was powered by a 98.2 cubic-inch horizontal single-cylinder engine delivering 10 horsepower. They had a two-speed planetary transmission and dual differential-mounted brakes. The prior year, in 1905, Cadillac introduced a four-cylinder model, yet the single-cylinder cars remained sufficiently popular and would remain in production through 1908.
By 1905, under-seat engines were becoming passé, so Cadillac disguised the fact by mounting a dummy hood over the front axle with a vertical radiator at the front.
For 1906, Cadillac had new single-cylinder models - the Model K and M - the differences between these two were only their wheelbase sizes. The M was two inches longer. The Model K came in a single body style, the Light Runabout often called 'Tulip' because of the shape of the seat.
This example has black moldings with red pin striping. There are maroon artillery wheels riding on all-white tires. All bright-work is brass, unblemished and highly polished. The seat upholstery is black patent leather with matching color top.
In 2010, this Model K Light Runabout was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook where it was estimated to sell for $40,000 - $60,000. As bidding came to a close, the car was sold for the sum of $110,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2010
By the mid-1900s, under-seat engines were losing their styling appeal, so Cadillac disguised the fact by mounting a dummy hood over the front axle, with vertical radiator at the front, on Model C, E and F. These models were replaced for 1906 by Model K and M, which differed only in wheelbase (the Model M was two inches longer). The M and K continued into 1907, where they were joined by Model S and T. The Model T would continue in production until 1908.
This Model K Runabout was purchased by the current owner's father in 1952 from the original owner. It was stored for many years and is believed to be a 1905 model but had been 'updated' with the addition of running boards and modified by replacing the boat-tail with a box.
The car has been treated to a rapid restoration which took ten days to complete with workers working around the clock in three shifts. The car participated in the 1953 revival Glidden Tour from Cleveland to Columbus to Dearborn, Michigan. During that year, it was also the recipient of the Thompson Museum Trophy for the finest restoration on an antique automobile.
In 2002, the car was given another professional restoration. It was completely rebuilt cosmetically and mechanically, including aluminum pistons for reliability. It was shown extensively during 2002, Cadillac's centennial year, including that year's Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance. In 2003 it received an AACA annual Grand National Award and was recognized as a Senior Grand National First Prize winner in 2004.
The car is powered by a 98.2 cubic-inch horizontal single-cylinder engine that offers 10 horsepower. There is a two-speed planetary transmission, dual differential-mounted brakes, and a wheelbase that measures 74 inches.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at RM Auctions sale in Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $120,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $99,000 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Victoria Runabout Engine Num: 20076
For Cadillac's 4th year of production, they introduced the unique Model K Runabout alongside the Model M Touring car. The Model K had the short wheelbase while the Model K was the long wheelbase version. The Model M sold for $950 and the Model K was $750.
The 'Tulip' body style was a major departure from not only prior Cadillac models but from most other car manufactures of this era. With a trio of 1906 model year cars, Cadillac set the world's standard for high quality by earning the Dewar Trophy presented by England's Royal Automobile Club. The automaker's actions in accomplishing this would seem trivial today but, at the time, they represented far reaching advances in engineering.
This car is powered by 1-cylinder 1.6 liter engine developing 10 hp.
The four-cylinder Model D was introduced in 1905 which brought significant improvements in power and performance to the Cadillac line of vehicles. Regardless, the single-cylinder models remained in production, and popularity, through 1908. The single-cylinder engines were durable and adequate, proven by their popularity and in endurance runs. Three Model K Cadillac's competed in the Dewar competition in England in 1908 and emerged victorious. At the close of the endurance run, all three cars were disassembled and their parts scrambled. The cars were then re-assembled from the mix-matched parts and easily started. This final demonstration was to reinforce Leland's precision manufacture and to the slogan 'The Standard of the World.'
A design change was added in 1905, following the popular configuration of the time. The front was given a dummy hood over the front axle while the engine remained under the seats. In the front was a vertical radiator on the Models C, E, and F. These were replaced for 1906 by Models K and M. Both of the K and M were identical except for the Model M having a wheelbase two inches longer. Production of the K and M continued into 1907. In 1907 the Model S and T were introduced, with the T remaining in production until the end of 1908. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2012
Bonhams transported bidders back to the early days of motoring in its annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run Sale, held at 101 New Bond St on 4 November.
Now in its 13thth year, the event saw 90%...