Sold for $72,600 at 2006 RM Auctions
The Hudson company was named after Joseph L. Hudson, a wealth Detroit businessman and founder of the Hudson Motor Car Company. During the 1920's the company built a reputation for their reliable Six and Super Six models. Their sister company, Essex, began producing a line of vehicles with six cylinder engines in 1924. This put pressure on Hudson to move further up-market which they did in 1930 with their Eight. The eight-cylinder engine used a side valve configuration and propelled Hudson into a new market.
The 1937 Hudsons achieved stunning success in the Class C, closed stock car racing circuit, breaking all existing records. Their durability and performance was unmatched and accounted for 38 records in 1937, many of them high speeds records and endurance runs.
This 1937 Hudson Deluxe Eight Convertible has an L-Head straight eight-cylinder 254.47 cubic-inch engine that produces 122 horsepower. It has a 'Hydraulic Hill Hold' electric pre-selector three speed transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
This example, with chassis number 743063 was estimated to sell between $60,000 - $80,000 at the 2006 RM Auctions in Meadow Brook. At the close of bidding, it found a new home at $72,600.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2006
The Hudson Motor Car Company of Detroit produced the Terraplane automobile from 1932 through 1939. In 1932, it was known as the Essex Terraplane since the vehicle it was replace was known as the Essex. The Essex brand of vehicles had been with Hudson for a long time, first appearing in 1919. The Essex vehicles were low-priced alternative to mass-produced vehicles such as those by Ford and Chevrolet. The Terraplane continued this tradition by offering lots of internal room for its occupants and their luggage. The vehicle was inexpensive and offered in a variety of body-styles such as convertible, utility coupe, and truck. The vehicles were powered by a 212 cubic-inch L-head six-cylinder engine that was mated to a three-speed manual gearbox. Hydraulic brakes provided the stopping power for the 122 inch wheelbase. From 1935 through 1938 the Terraplane was offered with an optional steering column-mounted electric gear pre-selector and electro-mechanical automatic shifting system. It was manufactured by the Bendix Corporation.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2006