Sport Phaeton Chassis Num: 185083 Engine Num: 185113
Sold for $192,500 at 2009 Gooding & Company. Sold for $187,000 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The Packard 740 Custom Eight and the 745 Deluxe Eight were powered by a 384.8 cubic-inch engine that produced 106 horsepower. The 740 rode on a wheelbase that measured 140.5-inches while the 745 rested on a 145.5-inch platform. New for this year was the four-speed transmission and a 4.69 rear axle ratio. Dual mounted spare tires were standard on the 745 while it was an option on the 740.
Coachbuilders were given the opportunity to cloth the 740 and 745, including LeBaron, Brewster, Rollston and Dietrich. There were eleven bodystyles for the 740 and eleven on the 745. Thus, the Seventh Series Packards were more than capable to satisfy a wide variety of customers needs.
This Packard 740 Custom Eight Sport Phaeton is finished in two shades of deep red and has a low-slung tan top. The interior is tan leather and there is a wood-grain dash. There are many accessories such as driving lights, a radiator stone guard, wind wings, fully enclosed dual side-mounted spares with mirrors, a rear luggage rack and chromed wheels mounted with tall white-wall tires. The Adonis mascot can be found on the hood, a very desirable ornament and one of the most desirable to adorn the Packards.
It is believed that the car was given a restoration in 1978. It was purchased by its current owner in 2006 from the Sterling McCall Old Car Museum. It has an Antique Automobile Club of America badge from 1979.
In 2009, this 740 Custom Eight Sport Phaeton was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was estimated to sell for $200,000 - $300,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $192,500 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
This Packard is the recipient of a complete, body-off, frame-up restoration performed in large part by its current owner. Only the paint, trim work and chroming was outsourced.
Three Packard models were available for 1930 - it's Seventh Series - the 733, 740 and 745. The 740 and 745 models shared Packard's venerable 384.5 cubic-inch straight eight motor that developed 106 horsepower.
New for 1930 were a four-speed transmission and Detroit Lubricator updraft carburetor. Parking lamps were now fender mounted and all glass was shatter-proof. The side-mounted spares and disc wheels were optional.
Sport Phaeton Chassis Num: 181777 Engine Num: 181644
Sold for $203,500 at 2010 Gooding & Company. This Packard Custom Eight 740 is a well-used example that wears an older restoration, but still shows well in modern times. The restoration work was completed in the early 1960s and upon completion, it earned an AACA National First in 1965, a CCCA Premier Senior Award and a first place at a Packard Automobile Classics National Meet. It is finished in maroon and red livery and fitted with side-mounted spares, driving lamps, wind wings, C.M. Hall lamps, See-Rite mirrors, mounted trunk and the classic 'Goddess of Speed' mascot.
Recently, all six chrome wire wheels have been restored, trued and mounted with fresh whitewall tires. It is powered by a 384 cubic-inch L-Head eight-cylinder engine fitted with a single Detroit Lubricator Updraft carburetor. There is a four-speed selective-sliding gearbox and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes with vacuum booster.
In 2010, this Sport Phaeton was brought to Gooding & Company's Scottsdale Auction where it was estimated to sell for $250,000 - $325,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $203,500, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2010
New for 1930, Packard introduced a four-speed transmission, fender-mounted parking lights and adjustable driver's seat and steering wheel. Dual mounted spare tires were an option on the 740.
Powered by a 384.8 cubic-inch straight eight engine that produces 106 horsepower, this large powerful car recently competed in the Packard Joy Ride in the Adirondack Mountains in New York.
The factory list price was $3,190, but was later reduced to $2,690.
This Packard 740 Phaeton was purchased by the present owner for $900 in Farmington, CT, in 1963. The owner restored the car at his father's farm and painted it using a Sears diaphragm air compressor. Completed in 1966, the auto was driven for approximately 25 years by the owner and was probably the most photographed Packard Phaeton in the USA during those years.
Following the Packard Club National in Ashville, 14 years ago, the car was old and tired. The owner, again, was going to repaint the Phaeton and restore it in six months.
Starting with every part being removed and restored, including new wheels, pilot ray lights, spot lights, and wind wings, the restoration was completed in 14 years!
At the start of the Classic era, Packard was among the leading luxury marque. This all changed during the early years of the Great Depression, when Packard sales began to drastically decline. In 1930, the first year of the Depression, Packard sold just 28,386 cars. This was down dramatically from 1929. By this time Packard was one of the oldest car companies in America, with the first Packard built in 1899. The company was founded as the Ohio Automobile Company in Warren, Ohio. It became the Packard Motor Car Company in 1902 and moved to Detroit in 1903.
They entered the Classic era with a new straight eight engine replacing its early V12. This milestone engine used a unique crankshaft design and firing order that balanced the reciprocating forces and eliminated vibration. It was lighter than the V12, provided more power, better fuel economy and the inline configuration was compatible with the 'long hood' design themes that would be characteristic of the Classic era. The Model 740 rode on a 140-inch wheelbase chassis and was powered by a 385 cubic-inch straight eight-cylinder engine offering 106 horsepower. It was priced at $3,190 and only 6,200 were produced.
This car has been owned by the current owner for 62 years, acquiring it in 1949. It was the first car to be awarded a perfect score, 100 points, in judging by the Classic Car Club of America.
This Packard is the first automobile to be awarded 100 points (a perfect score) by the Classic Car Club of America. Although that award was received more than five decades ago, the car remains in beautiful condition today.
The car's owner, Margret Dunning, turned 102 years-old in 2012. She has been a member of the Classic Car Club of America almost from the beginning and has been an active member of the CCCA's Michigan Region during that time.
The current owner (Ms. Dunning) purchased this car in 1949. It had been through 'Boot Camp' at several Army bases during World War II and had not been pampered. After being purchased by Ms. Dunning, it underwent a full restoration with the help of some of her friends. Sixty-four years later, the 82 year old car and 102 year old owner, are still going strong and she is still enjoying it.
It has a cigarette lighter, map light and glove compartment on both sides of the dash. With the smooth power of the straight-8 Packard engine coupled to a 4-speed manual transmission, Ms. Dunning still drives it with what she refers to as 'Armstrong Steering.'
The Packard 740 was powered by Packard's legendary in-line eight-cylinder motor that developed 106 horsepower.
Sport Phaeton Chassis Num: 185458 Engine Num: 185645
Sold for $225,500 at 2013 Barrett-Jackson. Sold for $418,000 at 2014 RM Sothebys. It is believed that this car was originally delivered in Southern California, as it wears an original Earle C. Anthony service plate. It was formerly part of the Robert Gottlieb collection, and remained there for at least ten years. It has most recently been part of an eastern U.S. collection. The car was re-finished several years ago and is currently finished in two-tone aquamarine and features a matching leather interior with varnished woodwork, polished chrome disc wheels, covered side-mounts with pedestal mirrors, dual Pilot Ray driving lights, wind wings, a radiator stone guard, a rear-mounted luggage rack with a period trunk, and Packard's Goddess of Speed radiator mascot. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
Sold for $67,100 at 2016 Motostalgia. Packard's new Seventh Series was introduced on August 29, 1929 and ushered in a new sportier design with sleeker lines and fenders that flowed gracefully into the body. A wide range of custom bodies from independent coach builders was available, although the vast majority of customers selected factory models which were well engineered, well appointed, and very comfortable. Several new mechanical features accompanied the seventh series including an improved cooling system with a redesigned water pump, dual fan belts adn the first use of the Detroit Lubricator updraft carburetor. A new low gear was added to the transmission created a four-speed, and the Bijur Lubricator was considered standard equipment.
By the 1930s, the gap between open and closed bodied cars had shrunk considerably and more customers were selecting the closed bodied option, thus larger phaetons, while stately and elegant, were losing their appeal and adding to the rarity in modern times.
This Phaeton wears a design by Dietrich. It has its original Detroit Lubricator carburetor and it is believed that the motor may be original to the car. It was given a cosmetic restoration several decades ago and the body appears solid with no major issues. It has its original headlamps supplied by C.M. Hall with the Depress Beam indicator jewels visible to the driver. There is a tan canvas top and black leather seats. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016
This 1930 Packard 740 Super Eight Phaeton was recently owned by the same gentleman from Pennsylvania for the past three decades. It has a well maintained, older restoration. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2017
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 20, 2017) — Just a week ago, Bruce R. McCaws 1929 Mercedes-Benz S Barker Tourer emerged from the restoration shop of Steve Babinsky in Lebanon, New Jersey. Today, having crossed...