1958 Mercury Montclair news, pictures, specifications, and information
The 1958 Mercury Montclair was available as a hardtop coupe, hardtop sedan, sedan, convertible, and the 2- and 4-door Turnpike Cruiser. The base engine was an overhead valve V8 displacing 383 cubic inches and developing 330 horsepower. The Turnpike Cruiser cam with a 430 cubic-inch V8 rated at 360 horsepower. A Merc-O-Matic was standard.
The Montclair was given two full-length side chrome strips which were separated by silver trim. In the front, dual headlights on either side of the vehicle were styled with chrome.
The Turnpike Cruiser models had an overhanging rear roof, twin air intakes on the roof located above both sides of the windshield, and a retractable rear window.
Most 1958 Mercury's could be ordered with a 430 cubic-inch V-8 engine built to near NASCAR specifications. This potent engine came paired with three two-barrel carburetors and developed 400 horsepower. This setup was known as the Super Marauder.
This particular Montclair Hardtop Coupe was fitted at the factory with the 383 cubic-inch V8 engine with four-barrel carburetor and offered 330 horsepower. Since then, it has been uprated with an original Super Marauder engine believed to have been dealer-installed in period. This car is well optioned, with power steering, a push-button Merc-O-Matic transmission with 'High Performance,' a Town & Country signal-seeking radio, dual outside mirrors, a factory clock, tinted windows, dual exhaust, a rear-mounted 'Continental kit' spare, and fender skirts. It currently has fewer than 50,000 original miles.
This car was once part of the Jerry Capizzi 'Cappy Collection' in Illinois and was later owned by Wayne Davis, of Texas, prior to its purchase by the present owner.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2015
The top of the Mercury line in 1956, the full-size Mercury Montclair was created under the Mercury Marque. The Montclair was introduced to be included in Mercury's premium automobile line.
Though not much evidence exists to support this, the name is believed to have been derived from an upper class community of Montclair located in New Jersey.
With a distinct design feature that set it apart and designated it a part of the Montclair series, the vehicle had contrasting color panels that ran beneath the side windows. The Montclair showcased some of Mercury's best features including the two-tone paint combinations and the additional chrome trim.
The vehicle came with the option of the Merc-O-Matic automatic transmission. It also featured a 312 cubic inch V8 Engine and a 4 barrel carburetor.
Founded by the Ford Motor Company in 1939, Mercury had begun with the ideal to design and manufacture semi-luxury vehicles. Mercury's original major success has been attributed to the Ford Marque in the early 50's as it stretched and lowered then existing Ford platforms which in turn generated superior results from their target markets.
From 1955 to 1960, the Mercury Montclair was both manufactured and sold by the sole Mercury Division and from 1964 to 1968 by Ford's Lincoln-Mercury Division.
Upon the introduction of the Mercury Turnpike cruiser in 1957, the Montclair name had the distinct misfortune to be pushed down the market until 1958.
The Montclair was discontinued in 1961, yet was resurrected for the 1964 model year until it was once again retired at the end of the 1968 model year.By Jessica Donaldson
For more information and related vehicles, click here