Sold for $49,500 at 2009 RM Sothebys. Sold for $52,250 at 2012 RM Sothebys. The early Stutz cars were powered by Wisconsin engines. By 1917, Stutz had decided to build their own. Their engine was slightly smaller at 360.8 cubic-inch engines, yet the four-cylinder unit utilized the same T-head design and with four valves per cylinder and twin ignition. There were several differences between the engines, such as the Stutz unit being cast en bloc, rather than in pairs.
The current owner of this car acquired it in the mid-2000s after it had just completed a restoration. It is painted in red and has brown vinyl upholstery with a black canvas top. It features electric starting and Stutz's characteristic right-hand steering. It was 1922 before left-hand drive was adopted by Stutz.
The car has dual sidemount spares and a rear-mounted tailored locking trunk. There are two fitted suitcases making this an ideal touring car.
In 2009, it was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey sale presented by RM Auctions where it was estimated to sell for $70,000 - $80,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $49,500, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Sold for $341,000 at 2014 Bonhams. Sold for $451,000 at 2017 Gooding & Company. Soon after Harry C. Stutz completed building the prototype Bearcat racer, it was entered in the 1911 inaugural Indianapolis 500 race. The untested car did rather well, finishing the race and beating many established brands, earning the Stutz the slogan 'The Car That Made Good In A Day'.
The Bearcat was first offered to the public in 1912 and was essentially a road-worthy version of the highly successful Stutz racers that followed the original Indy car. The Bearcat featured a 'monocle' round glass windscreen - only for the driver - buck seats and no convertible top. They were constructed around an underslung chassis, ensuring a lower center of gravity and good handling characteristics due to its lightweight design. In early form, the car was powered by a Wisconsin T-head engine. The engine was later replaced by a Stutz-built, sixteen-valve, four-cylinder unit that was based heavily on Stutz's racing experience. The Stutz 'White Squadron' racers were powered by a similar engine, featuring four valves per cylinder.
To cope with the more powerful engine, Stutz added a heavier chassis and modern coachwork. The wheelbase was still light and short, measuring 120 inches, with the center of gravity being moved even lower by placing the tank down low in the rear, with a rear deck fitted to hold a couple of raked spares in racing fashion.
Chassis no. 5067 This car was owned for many years by Valentine of Vermont. Valentine located this car in Michigan, and purchased it because of its authenticity and completeness. The body was in need of repairs to metal and woodwork, its original light-gauge short Stutz Bearcat frame was complete, original, and unmodified. Soon after the purchase, the Bearcat was treated to a nearly two-decade long restoration by Tom Bachelor, who is currently the owner of this car. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
In 1876, Harry C. Stutz was born. He grew up on the family farm where he often helped repair their farm equipment. This led to a fascination with engines and in 1897 he built his first car; soon after he began designing and creating engines. The Stutz Company, based in Indianapolis, Indiana, introduced its first production vehicle in 1911. The vehicle, after only five months of design and build, was immediately entered in the inaugural Indianapolis 500 mile race where it captured an 11th place finish. Not bad for its first vehicle and first race. Throughout the company's life span, it would endure good and bad times. The Stutz Company was in production during World War I and the Great Depression, both responsible for negatively affecting Industry.
Stutz will be forever remembered for their Bearcat model, a vehicle produced until 1925. This pure-bred race car had an aggressive and masculine stance; the interior was void of luxury and amenities. With its high revving straight 8-cylinder overhead camshaft engine and lightweight construction, the vehicle was poised to compete in national and international competition.
In 1919, Harry Stutz was forced by stock holders to leave his company. In 1922, Charles Schwab was given control of the company. In 1925, Schwab gave control of the company to Frederick Moskovics. Moskovic planed to revitalize the company by shifting the priorities from racing to producing luxurious automobiles. This did not mean that the company was to abandon its racing heritage, rather Moskovics wanted to expand its racing prowess by entering it in International competition. The 24 Hours of Le Mans is a grueling endurance battle that tests stamina, speed, and durability. In 1928 a Stutz Series BB Black Hawk Speedster, driven by Edouard Brisson and Robert Bloch, was entered in the French LeMans race. The vehicle did well, leading for most of the race. Half way through the 22nd hour, the gearbox broke on the Stutz and a Bentley 4.5-liter was able secure a first place finish. The Stutz was second, the best an American car had ever placed in this prestigious race. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
This car was owned by the late Ray Katzell author of the Splended Stutz. The car won a AACA national first in September 2004.
'The car which made good in a day', established, 1910 in Indianapolis. The Stutz took 11th place in the inaugural 1911 Indy 500 race. Stutz's first race car ran well, but flat tires were numerous. Accordingly, all Stutz vehicles were equipped with two spare tires until production stopped in 1934. Driver Barney Oldfield placed 3rd in the 1912 Indy 500. Stutz won the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in 1926 and placed 2nd in the 1929 Le Mans France 24 Hour race. Stutz is best known for the 'Bearcat' priced at $5,095 in 1930. This 1920 touring car, one of 3,000 built, sold for $2,300. Model 'T' Fords sold for less than $400 at the time. Harry Stutz, an inventing engineer, pioneered the first rear axle/transmission combination unit used by this car. The four-cylinder engine uses four valves and two spark plugs per cylinder.
The Stutz Bearcat was produced from 1914 through 1924. The first version was produced from 1914 to 1917 and was powered by a 6388 cc four-cylinder engine. The Bearcat was a creation inspired by a Indy sports car racer built by the Stutz Motor Company in 1911. It was powered by a 361 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine that produced 50 horsepower. The Bearcat continued the tradition of lightweight construction, potent engine, and superior performance. The vehicle utilized an 'underslung' design which allowed the vehicle to be constructed lower than most vehicles, sitting closer to the ground. They were void of any unnecessary amenities, had no doors and only a small 'monocle' windscreen to protect the driver. It weighed just 4500 pounds and rested on a 120 inch wheelbase. There was usually seating for two and no top to protect the driver or passenger from the elements.
In 1912 the Stutz Bearcats proved their potential by winning 25 out of the 30 races in which they were entered. Their slogan was 'The car that made good in one day'. This was a popular slogan and is still remembered by many even to this day. The title was adorned on Harry C Stutz in 1911 when his driver, Gil Anderson, placed 11th at the Indianapolis 500, an amazing accomplishment and one that immediately inspired sales. The car had been built in just five weeks and was the first automobile to bear the name 'Stutz'. At Indianapolis, it had averaged 110 km/h (about 68 mph) and was only beaten by vehicles with engines much larger than its own.
A disgruntled buyer of a Stutz complained to the Stutz Company that Mercer's were beating his car. In response, the Stutz Company set out to be the coast-to-coast record. In 1915, Erwin George 'Cannonball' Baker drove a Bearcat from San Diego to New York in 11 days, 7 hours, and 15 minutes. This broke the previous record. Baker went on to set 143 distance records. Sales continued to climb. A Wall Street investor spear-headed by Allan A. Ryan bought controlling interest in Stutz. This allowed more capital and allowed Stutz to expand their manufacturing facilities. Harry Clayton Stutz sold his interest in the company in 1919. He turned his attention to two new endeavors, the Stutz Fire Engine Company and the H.C.S. Motor Car Company.
The production of the Stutz Bearcat continued until 1924. The car continued its tradition of being a sports car. It was fast and had excellent performance for the era. The clutch was said to be so stiff that it prevented woman from driving the vehicle - many said this was a 'man's car.' The two-wheel mechanical brakes also required much force to operate.
The Stutz Company stayed in business until 1935 when it was forced out of business due to the Great Depression. In 1923, Frederick Ewan Moskowics, became the president of the Stutz Motor Car Company. Under his direction, the company was repositioned as a company that produced elegant sedans renowned for safety. Essentially, he turned the he-man cars into luxury beauties. In 1929 Moskowics resigned and was succeeded by Edgar S. Gorrell. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006