Sold for $155,500 at 2009 Bonhams. The Phantom II, produced from 1929 through 1936, was the last Rolls-Royce designed under F. Henry Royce, co-founder of the marque. The engine was a large 7.7-liter six-cylinder unit and powered two wheelbase sizes. There were a total of 1,402 built atop the 150-inch wheelbase and 278 on the short 144-inch Continental assembly. This example, chassis number 8-SK, is one of those rare examples fitted to the short wheelbase.
This Touring Saloon wears a close-coupled Touring Saloon (sedan) body courtesy of Park Ward, Ltd. It came equipped with a spare tire and wheel in each of its front wings and fitted with an F-code steering box.
Originally delivered to E. Graham Guest of Edinburgh Scotland. 8-SK came to the USA around the late 1950's. After being owned by only a hand full of owners from 1934 through 1970's the car was purchased and restored by Neil Kirkham, a well know Rolls-Royse owner in California. He showed the car at numerous Concour events taking top honors at the likes of Silverado, Hillsbourgh, and Best of Show at the Art Deco Concours. It also took a first in class at the R-R Nationals. This car would still show well and it drives perfect!! Past owners: E. Graham Guest 1934 G. Berners late 1930's - post war Paddon Brothers Ltd. early 50's Francis deBeixedon late 1950's - 1967 G. H. Mathers late 1967 - mid 1970's Neil Kirkham early 1980's - 1994 Peter Stylinos 1994- 2006 Blackhawk Collection - present.
In 2009, this Touring Saloon was offered for sale by Bonhams Auction Company at the Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia at the Quail Lodge Resort in Carmel, Ca. The car was sold for $155,500 inclusive of buyer's premium.
Fixed-Head Coupe Coachwork: Hooper Chassis Num: 70TA Engine Num: MC-65
Henry Royce passed away in 1933, making the Rolls-Royce Phantom II the last model he ever designs. The Phantom II was introduced in September of 1929 and served as a replacement for the New Phantom, which would later become known as the Phantom I. The Phantom II brought with it improvements and styling changes throughout the vehicle, including the chassis. The 7668cc engine was about the only thing that was not changed. The cantilever springs in the Phantom I were replaced with semi-elliptic units which helped the chassis ride much lower to the ground, thus improving performance, especially through corners. The gearbox was mounted directly to the engine and had synchromesh on the top two speeds. The Phantom II adopted the central chassis lubrication system in use by the Rolls-Royce operation in Springfield, Massachusetts.
For numerous reasons, the Phantom II was never put into production in North America, though a series of left-hand drive chassis were built by the Derby factory from 1931 through 1934. 116 examples were sent to the United States, three to Canada and six to Europe. In total, there were 1680 examples of the Phantom II constructed.
This 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Fixed-Head Coupe has coachwork by Hooper. Its first owner was from London, Ontario and purchased the car on December 11th of 1934. After the initial deposit was placed, the right-hand drive chassis was sent to Hooper & Company to receive its fixed-head coupe body of style no. 8321. Only 19 examples of the Phantom II were given coupe bodies and Hooper was responsible for just two of those vehicles.
In the 1980s the car was given a cosmetic restoration which included new paint and new leather interior. In more recent times, the engine and mechanical components have been serviced and repaired as needed. The car has a black leather interior and a two-tone paint scheme.
This Fixed-Head Coupe took part in the 2003 Rallye des Alpes, as well as several other vintage touring events. It was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held in Meadow Brook where there was no reserve on the vehicle, and estimated to sell between $220,000 - $260,000. At auction, that estimate proved to be very accurate as the car was sold for $247,500. This car is powered by a six-cylinder overhead valve engine that displaces 7668cc's and capable or producing 40-50 horsepower. It has a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel servo-assisted brakes. Its elegant body sits atop a long, 150-inch, wheelbase. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007
Sold for $632,500 at 2017 RM Sothebys. This three-position drop head Continental style of coachwork is much admired by Rolls-Royce aficionados. It has a very long hoodline, a sweeping curved beltline molding, flowing open fenders, and a rather short stern. The coachwork was designed by Captain H. R. Owen, who later became the respected Rolls-Royce London agent, and built by the Gurney Nutting Company in England. It was first sold to a G.H. Barr of North Wales on April 18tho f 1934, who took delivery a month later. The chassis was sent to Gurney Nutting on May 30th, with delivery of the completed car following in October. The second owner was George King, Esq, of Shepperton, Middlesex, who purchased the car in October of 1937. Subsequent owners include John Holroyd-Reece, in 1940, and David Crawford Collins, in 1955. The car was then purchased in June 1956 by John M. Floyd. Mr. Floyd was a Royal Air Force Sergeant stationed in Suffolk at the time. In 1958, it was acquired by American Air Force pilot Seymour Johnson who had it brought back to the United States with him. After spending several years in storage, the car was sold in 1969 to Raymond Gentile. Mr. Gentile began work on personally restoring the car to its original condition. The work was completed in 1975 and shown at the Rolls-Royce Owners Club Annual Meeting, where it won Ladies Choice and the Guerrero Trophy (for best owner restoration).
The restoration inspired Mr. Gentile to publish a book on the research he had done, called The Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental. Chassis number 201RY, the inspiration for it all, appeared as both the color frontispiece and sketched in silhouette on the cover.
Two separate handcrafted models were produced of the car, and it formed the basis of a famous Revell model kit, first issued in the 1970s and continuously produced for over 30 years.
In 1986, the car was sold to Duncan Bull, who kept it for more than a decade, adding a CCCA Senior First Prize and multiple other concours and RROC awards to its laurels. In 2011, it was added to Orin Smith's collection.
Only 14 of the 281 Phantom II Continental chassis were bodied in this style.
Sedanca Drophead Coupe Coachwork: Mulliner Chassis Num: 120 SK Engine Num: GH 55
High bid of $430,000 at 2008 RM Sothebys. (did not sell) High bid of $350,000 at 2009 Worldwide Auctioneers. (did not sell) Sold for $357,500 at 2010 RM Sothebys. Sold for $550,000 at 2016 RM Sothebys. Sold for $286,000 at 2017 RM Sothebys. The development of the original Phantom automobile was done in great secrecy. It was given the codename 'EAC', which stood for Eastern Armoured Car. The individual in charge of development was Ernest Hives, carefully placed pieces of armor plating around the factory to help conceal the vehicles development and lend credence to the codename.
In 1929, the Twenty was developed into the 25/30 and the Phantom became the 'Phantom I' as the 'Phantom II' was introduced. The Phantom II was still rated at 40/50 horsepower, as had the Silver Ghost and the Phantom I. The Phantom II was lower and suspension improved with half elliptic on all four corners. This would be Royce's last cars as he died in 1933 at the age of 70.
The Phantom II Continental was built on a short 144-inch chassis and rode on stiffer five leaf springs and a 12/41 axle. The standard axle was an 11/41 unit. The Continental was given a lower floor, a low rake steering column, and Hartford remote-control shock absorbers. Between the years of 1929 and 1935, a total of 1,680 examples of the Phantom IIs were produced and around 280 were the Continentals. Just six were given drophead sedanca coupe bodies by H.J. Mulliner.
This Phantom II Continental Sedanca Drophead Coupe wears coachwork by H. J. Mulliner of London. It was one of the last PII Continental chassis constructed. In May of 1934, the car was commissioned by Jack Barclay's client, Lord Numburholm of Bryanston Square, London. It was used as Barclay demonstrator for several months before being delivered to its original owner, Sir Charles John Wilson, the 3rd Baron Nunburnholme. He had requested the headlamp brackets be shortened, bringing them ¼-inch below the 'shoulder' of the radiator, and that the floorboards of the car be unpainted! The car was also fitted with very comfortable and sporting adjustable front bucket seats, which remain today.
The origins of the 'pontoon'-style fenders remain a mystery. Unconfirmed research pointed to a Parisian Rolls-Royce agent Franco-Brittanic placed an order for the modifications to local coachbuilder Henri Chapron in 1938. It has also been suggested that the fenders were the work of Henri Binder. They are, however, French in their style and a coachbuilt addition 'of the period,' having been on the car by the early 1950s, when it was owned by P.M. Gardner of Negeve, France.
In 1936, it was sold to Mrs. Carrigan of Regent's Park. It is believed that she had the coachwork updated. Mrs. Park retained the car until 1946 when she sold it to Mr. R. A. G. Edwards in Throgmorton Street. It changed hands again in 1949, to Mr. P.M. Gardner in Negeve, France.
Sometime during its life, it was sold to a United States citizen and brought to the US. It was later sold to Frank Allen of Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts and later entered the Barrymore Collection where it stayed for many years. In 2006, the car was purchased by its present owner.
Currently, the car is in mostly un-restored condition but has been well cared for all of its life. It has been given new paint, interior, top, and headliner, and some work to its wood. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2017
This car was originally delivered in May of 1934 to Edmond Blawl of St. Cloud near Paris. It is a happy marriage of one of the most desirable chassis of its day with the striking coachwork of one of France's most respected coachbuilders, Kellner. It was next owned by K.C. Dobson of Surrey, England, and then by Sir Ashley Haveden. In 1956, it made its way to the United States where it has had several owners - the first keeping it for some 25 years. After the car was restored in the late 1980s, it won the Gwenn Graham Trophy for the Most Elegant Open Car at the 1990 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
It is also the 1991 Chicago International Best of Show winner and the 1991 Fisher Island Best of Show winner.
Sold for $269,500 at 2008 Gooding & Company. The Silver Ghost was produced for many years, lasting until 1922. In 1925 the New Phantom was introduced and it was given an improved Ghost chassis. Two years later, work began on the Phantom II which would have several major advances in both design and mechanics, despite several superficial similarities. It was launched in 1929 and featured a new chassis design that utilized semi-elliptic rear suspension in place of the cantilever setup found on the Phantom I. The PII had improved steering and brakes and a wider rear track. The engine and gearbox were now unit construction for the first time. The cast-iron cylinder head was replaced with a lightweight aluminum head.
The Phantom II was available on two platforms, one that measured 144-inches and a larger 150-inch setup. The 144-inch platform was available on special order and was later chosen for the Continental models introduced in late 1930. This special model was tuned for high-speed, long-distance traveling by automotive enthusiasts who appreciated style and energetic touring. The Continental models were given stiffer five-leaf road springs and friction shock absorbers and low rake steering. In the rear of the car could be found the spare wheels, tools and luggage space which was designed to better improve the cars weight distribution.
Chassis 82PY was sent to its original owner, C.T. Thomas Esq., in April of 1934. It would have three more owners through 1949, after which it was sent to the United States in the early 1950s. It entered the care of Fred Prophet. By 1964, it was owned by Robert Valpey of San Luis Obispo, California, who had purchased it from James C. Brown of Belmont, California. While in Mr. Valpey's care, it was given engine X055 from chassis 75MW, and other restoration work was performed. The car remained with Mr. Valpey until 1976, when ownership was transferred to Barry Hon, who kept the car for a decade before selling it to its last US owner Stu Bewley. Mr. Bewley showed the car at the 1986 Pebble Beach COncours d'Elegance.
The next owner purchased the car with the engine removed. A comprehensive rebuild began a short time later, including some cosmetic repair. There were only 15 three-position Sedancas built by Gurney Nutting. This example is finished in Midnight Blue cellulose and has a tan leather interior. There are twin pillar-mounted Grebel spotlights, twin spare wheels, and polished wheel discs and sun visor.
In 2009, this Gurney Nutting Owen Sedanca Three-Position Drop Head was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona where it was estimated to sell for $400,000 - $500,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $352,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
Sold for $825,000 at 2007 RM Sothebys. Sold for $528,000 at 2010 Gooding & Company. Following the closing of the Rolls-Royce assembly plant in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1931, Rolls-Royce made its first delivery of 200 chassis to its Brewster Coachworks in Long Island City, New York. There were many changes needed to make it suitable for the American market, including conversion to left-hand drive, adjustments to the suspension and 20-inch wheels.
This Phantom II Henley Coupe was originally built for Mary Elizabeth Williams, the daughter of insurance magnate Charles F. Williams of Cincinnati, Ohio. Brewster would produce ten Phantom II Henleys, and many believe that this example with its fixed roof was the most attractive. Ms. Williams' one-off Henley Coupe was delivered to her in May 1934, at the sum of nearly $20,000.
Mr. Donald Weesner purchased this Henley Coupe in the mid-1950s. Upon purchase, the car was driven from Cincinnati to his home in Minnesota. The car would stay in Mr. Weesner and his wife's possession for the next 45 years. After nearly a half a century out of sight, the car was offered for public sale in April 1999. The car was purchased by collector and dealer Dennis Nicotra of Connecticut, and soon traded hands twice more within the dealer community. The current owner purchased the car in 2007.
The car is in original condition and it is showing less than 35,000 miles. Recently, the tan canvas top was replaced with black leather.
This Henley Coupe has many unique features such as a flat pane windshield and the upper hood panels that extend all the way to the windshield. It features the trademark twin beltlines which appear to come together at the midpoint of the door.
In 2010, this Rolls-Royce was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was estimated to sell for $500,000 - $600,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $528,000, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2010
Sold for $528,000 at 2010 Gooding & Company. Sold for $605,000 at 2016 Bonhams. This vehicle is an original, short-chassis Continental Drop Head Coupe by Gurney Nutting. One of just 18 PII Continentals built to the Owen Drophead design. Chassis 117 RY was ordered for stock by H.R. Owen Ltd on February 1st of 1934 and over the next month the chassis was delivered to Gurney Nutthing for mounting on its coachwork on March 28th of 1934. The first owner was Madame Ossarie of London's Dorchester Hotel whose name is entered on the original order. Mr. Goodyear of Hampton purchased the car in February of 1935. Its next owner was Mr. Stonor of Montagu Square, London and Commander G.M. Bradley of Mayfair Court prior to being sold to Mr. R.L. Broad of Kent in April 1946.
In the 1950s, the car was in the care of Herbert F. Bass of Columbus, Ohio. It stayed with him for many years before it passed to his son, Gary H. Bass of Westerville, Ohio who retained the car until 2007.
The car is powered by an overhead-valve aluminum-head six-cylinder engine that displaces 7668cc. Top speed is in the neighborhood of 92 mph and was built for high-speed touring use. There are servo-assisted brakes, a single-jet semi-expanding carburetor and semi-elliptic suspension at all four corners.
In 2010, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Pebble Beach Auction presented by Gooding & Company. The car was estimated to sell for $450,000 - $550,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $528,000 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2016
Sold for $341,000 at 2011 RM Sothebys. Sold for $1,650,000 at 2015 Gooding & Company. This 1934 Rolls-Royce PII Continental Drophead Sedanca Coupe wears coachwork by J. Gurney Nutting. The car was discovered by Mr. Tallman in a barn in northeastern Ohio in April of 1964. The car was then driven 400 miles home to Illinois. For a barn find, the car was in remarkably good condition. It has since been given a complete refurbishment in white, with contrasting blue accent on window and belt moldings. The interior is done in blue leather with matching blue carpets. The burl walnut dash is in very good condition, and the steering wheel and dashboard lettering were recently renewed.
In 2011, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Amelia Island auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $150,000 - $250,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $341,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2011
This All-Weather Tourer was ordered on October 30th of 1933 and was the first RY series Phantom II Continental. It was the first of 42 short chassis versions in the series, all of which were odd numbered.
Chassis 7-RY was specially equipped with a supplementary five-gallon petrol tank, connections for a Clayton heater and steering at the 'F' rake. It was delivered on February 9th to the owners (Mr. Gulbenkian) preferred coachbuilder, Hooper & Co. Ltd., where it was given a close-coupled All-Weather Tourer coachwork. The body was fitted with a speedometer and clock for the rear passengers, special bumpers front and rear, twin side-mounted spares and an extended bonnet, angled at 11° to match the louvres.
Upon completion, the car was finished in a single dark shade with matching wheel discs, Marchall headlamps, a cowl-mounted spot light, a center-mounted driving light and Michelin tires.
In 1934, the car was reportedly used as the official car for King George V at the Silver Jubilee of the RAF, and in 1936, it was made available to King Edward VIII during his review of the Royal Navy.
In the Fall of 1940, the car was sold to Frank Dale. Soon it left for the United States where it was sold to D.W. Price Jr. of Rochester, New York. In the early 1960s, George R. Wallace of Massachusetts acquired the Rolls-Royce and had Ed Lake perform a thorough restoration.
In 1964, 7-RY was awarded the Hooper Trophy at the 13th Annual Rolls-Royce Owners' Club Meet and earned its Junior Second at the AACA Show in Hershey. The following year, the Continental received two First Prize awards, one at the CCCA Buck Hill Falls Meet and the second at the Motorasia Exhibition in Atlantic City. It would continue to earn awards over the next two years, including Best of Show at the Newport Motor Car Festival, a Junior First at Hershey and First Prize at the Boston AutoRama.
In 1974, the car was sold at auction in Fitchburg and purchased by Dave Mathewson of Orange, Connecticut. It was later sold to Louis Schultz and Joe Loecy before joining the Petronis Collection in Easton, Maryland in 1997. In the mid-2000s, it was purchased by the present owner.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction where it was estimated to sell for $600,000 - $700,000. It would leave the auction unsold after its reserve was not met.
Sold for $856,391 (€644,000) at 2010 RM Sothebys. This famous Rolls-Royce, the 'Star of India,' named after the incredible 563-carat Star Sapphire, was built by Thrupp & Maberly for the Maharaja of Rajkot. The Continental All Weather Convertible coachwork features an amazing array of headlamps and polished aluminum panels with saffron color paint, a symbol of bravery. It was sold in 1968 and returned to Europe but has recently been acquired by Mandhatasinh Jadeja, a former prince of Rajkot and the grandson of the Maharaja. Jadeja bought the Star of India as a present to his father on his 75th birthday, bringing the unique Rolls-Royce back to India for the first time since the Maharaja sold it 44 years ago. Launched in 1929 the Phantom II had a new low-slung chassis frame with the radiator set well back enabling coachbuilders to cloth the new car with sleeker designs than the more upright Ghost and New Phantom. After driving a PII the well-known 'purveyor of horseless carriages to the nobility and gentry' Bunty Scott-Moncrieff declared the car to be a 'magic carpet, wafting you silently.'
When this Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental was discovered after spending 40 years in a barn it was inhabited by a family of Raccoons. Many authorities consider the Phantom II to be the best car Rolls-Royce ever built. It is equipped with an innovative 4-speed synchromesh transmission, and its 6-cylinder engine give its, in Rolls-Royce terms, 'sufficient' horsepower and a top speed of 92 mph. Park Ward of London, known for producing quite formal designs, built this rather extravagant body and exhibited it on their stand at the Olympia Motor Show in London. A total of 281 Phantom II Continentals were produced by Rolls-Royce using a shorter and stiffer sporting chassis and this example is one of the most unusual.
This 'one-off' had the personal hand of F.H. Royce for his intended use from West Wittering Base to Sussex.
Sedanca Drophead Coupe Coachwork: Mulliner Chassis Num: 17 TA Engine Num: KE 15
Sold for $357,500 at 2014 RM Sothebys. This Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental was ordered by Rolls-Royce agent H.R. Owen on October 2nd of 1934. It is a late-production, right-hand drive T2-Series Phantom II built on the 144-inch 'Long-Short' chassis. It came off test on December 10th, 1934, and, two days later, it was delivered to Gurney Nutting and fitted with formal Sedanca de Ville coachwork. It was purchased by Sir Macpherson Robertson on April 8th of 1935. The car arrived in the US later in 1935 and its next recorded owner was Martin Vogel of New York City.
In September of 1938, it was appraised at $3,000 to $3,500 for the Vogel Estate and then it passed through Packard Co. to J.S. Inskip - the New York Rolls-Royce distributor on September 23rd of 1940.
While the car was at Inskip's facility during the 1940s, the original Gurney Nutting Sedanca de Ville body was removed and replaced by the H.J. Mulliner-built Three-Position Sedanca Coupe body that had been originally fitted to 123 TA, another T2-Series Phantom II.
123 TA was purchased by Mrs. Ruth Hitchcock Stewart on March 17th of 1941. She commissioned J.S. Inskip to fit the body of 123 TA to 17 TA. The original body of 17 TA was then fitted to 220 AMS.
The next owner of 17 TA was Edwin S. Keeley of Washington, DC who had acquired the car in fall of 1948. He sold the car to David F. Martin who later sold it to Warren K. Cooley in 1959. In 1961, Roy G. Wild of Bellevue, Ohio purchased the car. In 2012, the current owner acquired 17 TA from the Estate Trustee of Mr. Wild.
The car wears an older restoration with a recent cosmetic refurbishment. It has been given an exterior refinish, polished wood veneer, new carpeting, and a new folding top. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2013
Like so many Rolls-Royces, this car has a unique ownership history. It was ordered new by Charles Root, founder and builder of Pinewood Studios in England. In fact, the car appeared in two classic films produced at Pinewood Studios, 'The Red Shoes' and 'The Perfect Wife.'
It was later used by the studio director until 1957, when it was sold and disappeared for several years. It turned up in Coventry, Connecticut and in 1972 was acquired by the current owner, who spent the ensuing years refurbishing the car as necessary, including paint and interior work.
The Rolls-Royce Phantom II is powered by a 7.668 litre six-cylinder motor rated at 40/50 horsepower. The Park War saloon body includes a division window. This motorcar is recognized as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America.
This Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental wears one-of-a-kind Thrupp & Maberly coachwork. It was the first of the improved SK series of Continental chassis, introduced late in the model's limited production run. The chassis was originally specified with an F-rake positioned steering wheel and an exhaust pipe that was 9-inches longer than standard. Upon completion, the chassis was sent on June 8th of 1934 to London-based coachbuilder, Thrupp & Maberly. It was originally built to the order of Rowland Smith, a director of the Rootes Group. Thrupp & Maberly designed a one-of-a-kind two-seater drophead coupe for the car. It features a low, raked windscreen, cut-down doors, skirted fenders, and a sweeping tail with an integrated dickey seat.
After the coachwork was completed, the car was delivered in August of 1934 to Sir Auckland Campbell-Geddes. Sir Auckland used the Rolls-Royce while touring Europe while on a diplomatic mission. It was then returned to Rowland Smith in October of 1934. In 1937, Anthony H. Bisby became the car's next owner. He retained the car until 1955, where it was sold to David Ickeringill. Tyrone Power purchased the car in 1956. It was then registered as 'TP-1' in the UK, and before exporting it to his home in California, Power had the car serviced and repaired at the Rolls-Royce factory. The car remained in his care until his death in 1958. Later that year, Fred Buess, traded a Silver Ghost for 2SK. Mr. Buess owned the car for more than five decades.
In 2008, a sympathetic restoration began on the Phantom II Continental. Upon completion, it made its post-restoration debut at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August of 2010 where it was awarded First in Class. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2015
Charles Boot, son of Henry Boot - who started the company from a push cart doing home repairs in 1886, ordered 160PY in 1933.
The running chassis was delivered to Park Ward & Co. in October 1933 where this body, a close-coupled saloon with division, was built and first titled in January of 1934.
Charles Boot built Pinewood Studios in England that produced many films including The Red Shoes, in which 160PY was utilized.
160PY remained as the primary Studio Directors car until the 1950s when it came to the United States and was acquired by William Kilpatrick of Coventry, CT. It was acquired from his estate by William Casey of Pittsburgh in 1972 and has been in his care since.
The first owner of this unique Phantom II Continental was Robert William Hudson of the Hudson Dry Soap Company. Born in 1856 in West Bromwich, Great Britain, he purchased the car when he was 78 years old while living in Monaco and drove it until his death in 1937. This Phantom II was originally supplied with a more formal Kellner decapotable body, but Hudson had it rebodied by Henri Chapron in 1936, and the car remained in France for the next 50 years. In 1986 it was sold to Thomas Solley of the United States, and in 1990 he sold it to John Hodson of Alpine Eagle Restorations in England, who spent seven years restoring the car to its former glory. It was then sold to Gert Kaiser in Germany in 1997 and acquired by the current owners in 2003.
The Phantom II was the first completely new car since the 20HP seven years earlier. The Phantom II was still rated 40/50 HP but was lower and the springing half-elliptic all around. The car, although to Royce's design and specification, was mainly the work of his West Wittering design team and included many innovations and a redesigned engine that, wîth the gearbox, was now one unit.
The introduction of the Phantom II, only four years after the Phantom I, was prompted again by increased competition from other manufacturers, particularly Buick and Sunbeam. Ironically, the head of Buick had bought a Phantom I and, which so impressed everyone at Buick that they stripped it and copied much of what they learned.
Royce himself knew they were lagging behind: 'I have long considered our present chassis out of date. The back axle, gearbox, frame, springs have not been seriously altered since 1912. Now we all know it is easier to go the old way, but I so fear disaster by being out of date, and I have a lot of stock left, and by the sales falling off by secrets leaking out, that I must refuse all responsibility for a fatal position unless these improvements in our chassis are arranged to be shown next autumn, and to do this they must be in production soon after midsummer 1929.'
Royce was influenced by the lines of the current Riley Nine, and the manner in which the rear passenger's feet were tucked comfortably under the front seats in 'boxes', enabling 'close-coupled' coachwork to be fitted. Royce decided to build a special version of the car for his personal use.
Superb coachwork wîth modern styling was now available and Royce decided on a lightweight sporting body, which Ivan Evenden designed and Bakers built. This car became the forerunner of the legendary Phantom II Continentals.
The chassis is the standard Phantom II short model wîth a few modifications. These consist of a low §teering column and specially selected springs. There never was a defined speciation of a Continental Phantom II. The series to series engineering improvements were applied to all chassis.Source - Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Limited
The Rolls-Royce Phantom II was very similar to the Phantom I in many ways, but brought improvements such as a higher horsepower rating and the removal of the traditional torque-tube drive. Instead, the engine and gearbox were constructed in unit with each other rather than being separate. The Autovac was now using an engine-driven pump. A new water-heated induction system was used. The Battery and magneto ignition was the same as in the Phantom I. Built-in centralized lubrication was now a standard feature and the Catilever rear springs were shed in favor of semi-elliptic units. The bodies of the car sat atop of a separate sub-frame which helped eliminate distortion.
After the construction of the first Phantom II, named the 18 EX, it was put through its paces on a 10,000-mile test drive to identify the vehicles short-comings and to ensure the vehicle was constructed to Rolls-Royce standards. The car was driven on many types of terrain and at various speeds. It was reported that the car drove best at 70-mph.
Most of the left-hand drive coachwork, those vehicles intended for the United States market, was handed by Brewster and Co. The European versions were bodied by names such as Hooper, Arthur Mulliner, Park Ward, Barker, and Thrupp & Maberly.
Construction of the Phantom II lasted from 1929 through 1935, at which point it was succeeded by the Phantom III and its large twelve-cylinder engine. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
Auburn, IN. September 12, 2017. Worldwide Auctioneers tenth annual Labor Day Weekend sale, The Auburn Auction, delivered a 97% sell through rate and a total sale of 2.54 million on Saturday September...
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 20, 2017) — Just a week ago, Bruce R. McCaws 1929 Mercedes-Benz S Barker Tourer emerged from the restoration shop of Steve Babinsky in Lebanon, New Jersey. Today, having crossed...