1965 Volkswagen Beetle 1200 news, pictures, specifications, and information
Sold for $34,650 at 2012 RM Auctions
Officially known as the Type 1 Sedan and nicknamed the 'Bug', the Beetle evolved from Dr. Ferdinand Porsche's prewar KdF-Wagen. From 1958 to 1964, the Beetle enjoyed great success in the American market, fueled by trendsetting advertisements and the development of a worldwide distribution chain. During this period of time, the car was developed and updated to become a far more practical and user-friendly than before.
This example is powered by a 1192cc air-cooled, horizontally-opposed four-cylinder engine offering 40 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $20,000 - $30,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for $34,650 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
The Beetle is perhaps the best-selling car of all-time. Truly, a recognizable shape that has stood the test of time. The vehicle is still being produced in Mexico, continuing the long-time running record.
Adolf Hitler was searching for a people's car that was capable of transporting three children and two adults at speeds of sixty miles-per-hour. The car was to be inexpensive, costing the same as a motorcycle. Ferdinand Porsche was commissioned to produce such a vehicle.
There are many theories as to where the designs originated from. Some believe Hitler designed the vehicle. Some theorize that it was Joseph Ganz's 1920 design that was the true inspiration for the Beetle design. Porsche had created designs for the Mercedes-Benz 170H, which played into the design of the Beetle.
Inspiration for the Beetle had been drawn from the Tatra vehicles, mainly the T97, that had been designed by Hans Ledwinka. Due to the similarities, Tatra launched a lawsuit which never really materialized due to Germany invading Czechoslovakia. The lawsuit was later re-opened after World War II and Volkswagen was forced to pay Tatra 3,000,000 Deutsche Marks. This left Volkswagen with little money for development of new Beetle models.
The Volkswagen Beetle first came on the scene in 1947, but they were known by a different name. KdF, short for Kraft durch Freude meaning 'power by joy', was designated to these small, gas-friendly vehicles. In English, the name Beetle was used. In German, they were known as Kafer, and in French they were called Coccinelle.
These little bundles of joy featured mechanical drum brakes and a gearbox void of synchromesh.
In 1949 the Volkswagen logo was placed on the rims. The engine was expanded to 1131 cc and was capable of producing 25 horsepower. The models that were produced after October of 1949 could be started without a 'starting crank'.
Two convertible options were offered by Volkswagen in 1949. The two-seater design, designated 14A, was penned by Josef Hebmuller. The four-seater Type 15 version was designed and produced by Karmann of Osnabruck. The four-seater was vastly more popular and stayed in production for 30 years.
The 14A was stylish and attractive, with the major shortcoming being a fire that destroyed the factory where they were being produced. The two-seaters featured a rear deck nearly identical to the front hood. The strength of the car, lost by removing the roof, was amplified by a stronger windshield frame and dual Z-section girders located under the floor. In 1953, the last of the Hebmuller rolled off the assembly line, after only 696 examples were produced.
In a time when practicality ruled over style, the four-seater cabriolet was king. The Karmann company had a long history of designing and building cars. In business since 1901, was familiar with assembly line production, benefits and features of different types of metals, and the styles of multiple markets.
The mechanical, cable-driven brakes were replaced with hydraulic brakes in 1950.
During the 1950's the Beetle saw exterior and interior improvements. 1951 saw the addition of arm-rests which were discontinued just a few months later. In 1952, 2nd-4th gears became synchronized. The dashboard was redesigned with a glove compartment. The rear of the Beetle was updated in 1953, receiving a new single oval pane window in place of its original split rear window design. In 1955, the bumper was improved and electrical direction-indicators were installed. A second tail-pipe was added. The front seats became wider and could be moved to three different seat-back adjustable positions.
In 1956, the tires became tubeless. Near the end of '56, side view mirrors became standard on all Beetle models.
In 1957 the front window was increased by 17 percent while the rear window received a 95 percent increase. A new dashboard, rear view mirror, radio, and a speaker appeared. The turn signals would now turn-off automatically.
Up to this point, a roller pedal had been used to initiate acceleration. This was the year that the gas pedal replaced the roller pedal.
In 1958, ivory disc wheels were offered.
In 1960, an engine capable of producing 34 horsepower was offered. The speedometer was increased from 74 mph to 87 mph. A windshield-wiper washer system became available. The front directional light was changed from white to amber.
A gas gauge was added in July of 1961.
In 1963, the seats were changed from wool upholstery to synthetic. The VW emblem located on the hubcap was no longer painted. The safety of the vehicle was once-again enhanced with the enlargement directional lights.
There were minor changes in 1964. The windows did, however, become larger.
In 1965, the front axle was improved. The ongoing saga of incremental improvements received another chapter - A defroster vent was added to the center of the dashboard.
The Beetle continued to be sold in the United States until 1978 with the convertible version was sold until early 1980. Sales continued in Europe until 1985. Developing countries, such as Mexico, have been developing the Beetle since 1964 and the vehicles have remained in production since that time.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2013
Recent Vehicle Additions
|PORSCHE'S 914 HONORED AT 20TH AMELIA CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE|
|The 20th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance will honor the first mid-engine production Porsche, the 914 in all its variants.
At first some Porsche purists lamented the Porsche 914's seemingly humble origins. They whispered the 'V-Word' . . . Volkswagen. The reality was that the 914 is a blood descendant of the seminal Gmund Porsche, the first car to wear the family name and the crest, a pure sports car designed around a Volkswagen-sourced air-cooled flat-four and a mid-engine con...[Read more...]|
|NATALIE WOOD'S 300 SL ROADSTER JOINS STUNNING LIST OF ENTRIES FOR RM'S AMELIA ISLAND SALE|
|• RM Auctions announces additional highlights for its 16th annual Amelia Island sale, held March 8th at the Ritz-Carlton
• Recent entries are led by a 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster that was originally owned by Hollywood actress Natalie Wood
• As the official auction house of the world-renowned Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's single-day sale will feature a roster of more than 80 handpicked automobiles
• A frequently updated list of consignments is available online at www.rmauction...[Read more...]|
|STARS, STRIPES AND VICTORY FOR 'THE AMELIA'S' AUSTIN KIMBERLY IN BRITISH ROAD RACING CHAMPIOSNHIP|
|American teenager Austin Kimberly scored his first victory in the 2013 Avon Tyres National FF1600 Championship season at the 2.1 mile Anglesey road racing circuit in Wales (UK) last weekend (May 12). After qualifying third, the young American racer led every lap of the 25.1 mile championship race for 1600cc Formula Ford racers.
A go-kart racer since the age of nine, Austin opened the British Racing Sports Car Club's 2013 national Formula Ford Championship season with two podium appearances...[Read more...]|
|Prince Heinrich Benz Racers Reunited at 'The Amelia'|
|In the early 1900's, at the dawn of the automotive motorsport age, one of the most significant race venues was the Prinz Heinrich Tour, named after Prince Albert Wilhelm Heinrich of Prussia, automotive enthusiast and brother of German Emperor Wilhelm II.
In 1907, the German Imperial Automobile Club organized the first annual Prinz Heinrich Tour which is often seen as a precursor to the German Grand Prix. Among the races' most notable winners were Fritz Erle who won the 1908 race in a 50 h...[Read more...]|
|18th Annual Keels & Wheels Concours d'Elegance|
|Call for Entries : Classic Car and Boat Show now accepting entries
The 18th Annual Keels & Wheels Concours d'Elegance, benefiting The Boys & Girls Harbor, is now accepting car and boat entries for exhibitors to participate in the event, which is scheduled for May 4-5, 2013.
The weekend-long, nationally acclaimed classic car and vintage wooden boat show takes place each spring at the Lakewood Yacht Club in beautiful Seabrook, TX and attracts more than 15,000 attendees. The exhibitor...[Read more...]|