1952 Ferrari 225 Sport news, pictures, specifications, and information
Chassis Num: 0192ET
|Sold for $3,255,604 (€2,520,000) at 2012 RM Auctions.|
Chassis 0192ET would be just one of a number of special Ferrari sports-racers to be presented at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco. However, like all the others, this unassuming exceedingly rare 225 Sport Spyder would have a story all its own that would make the most ardent of collectors proud.
Ferrari's history building sports-racers would begin with the 125S. From that initial model would come the well known and successful 166MM and the 166 Inter. The 166MM was a full-blooded sportscar meant for competition. At the time, the 125 and the 166 had been developed to showcase Giacchino Colombo's V12 engine. When combined with triple Weber carburetors, this engine was capable of producing around 140 bhp. And when a 5-speed gearbox was mated to the power, Ferrari, and its customers, certainly had a strong sportscar fully capable of competing in the Mille Miglia and other such long distance races.
The pairing of Colombo's engine and Ferrari's chassis would become quite successful and popular and would lead to further on models like the 195 and the 212. Each one of these models would feature practically the same chassis, it would be the engine that would be further developed. The 195 would have a V12 engine of increased capacity. When Ferrari developed the 166 the engine would be increased in size to 2.0-liters. Then, when the 195 came along the engine size would be further increased to 2.3-liters. The 212 would be increased in size further yet having a displacement of 2.6-liters. In spite of the constant evolution the engine was still Colombo's V12 that served as the foundation.
The constant throughout this whole story, that part of the story that continually drove it forward, would be the chassis Ferrari developed. The frame of each model would be virtually identical including the elliptical side members and cross-members that added rigidity to the chassis. The front suspension would utilize double wishbones with a transverse leaf spring and hydraulic shock absorbers. The rear suspension would have a live rear axle with semi-elliptic longitudinal leaf springs. The simple fact of the matter was that the engine and chassis combination worked. There was little reason to change it.
This would hold true when Ferrari created its next 'standardized' sports-racer, the 225. From nose to tail, the 225 has as much in common with its predecessors as any of the other models. The only exception to this would be the 12 Tuboscocca chassis Ferrari built, one of which is chassis 0192ET.
In total, only about 20 examples of the 225S would be built. Of those 20, only 12 would be Spyders. Only a few would be Tuboscocca chassis. The difference being that instead of cross-members being used to provide the rigidity a truss-type arrangement would be used and this provided exceptional strength and rigidity. The purpose of such a chassis structure would become much more obvious. And when Vignale placed its custom bodywork over top of the chassis, the purpose couldn't have become any more blatant.
Throughout the early part of the '50s Carrozzeria Vignale would become one of Ferrari's coachbuilders of choice. Their sporty, and yet, elegant designs would actually help to make Ferrari iconic and the coachbuilder's creation for the 225 Sport Spyder would be nothing short of breathtaking.
A true case of Jekyll and Hyde, Vignale's design for the 225 Sport Spyder could not have been more obvious, and yet, underscored at the same time. Initial glances would easily cause one to become mesmerized by the shapely lines and the absolutely elegant simplicity. But a further inspection would reveal some of the car's hidden talents.
Not merely for aesthetics, the understated air scoops on the hood, the three oval-shaped portholes on the side and a pair of peculiar vent openings just in front of the rear wheels would all point to the car's dual function. All throughout the previous few years, Ferrari had been building exact copies of chassis but had been placing different versions of the same engine inside. One version, like the 'MM', would be meant specifically for the race track. The 'Inter', with its toned-down engine, would be meant for the street. However, the Vignale-bodied 225 Sport Spyder would truly blur those lines. The car's look was exquisite enough to be taken out for a night on the town. But the function of the some of the design elements made it clear the car was also just at home on the track. In many ways it would be the car version of the famed pilots that would drive them.
Chassis 0192ET would have all of these elements, and more. The twin air scoops on the top of the engine bonnet would be arranged side-by-side, a feature of the original owner's request. These would feed air to the triple Weber carburetors. The oval-shaped portholes would act as air outlets. The ducts just ahead of the rear wheels acted as inlets to help cool the rear brakes. It was clear this car was meant for the track, but could certainly make an appearance on the city streets at night just as well.
In the case of 0192ET, it would begin its life on the track, a calling to which it had been designed and built for. After being built and mated to its Tipo 212 gearbox in March of 1952 it would be shipped to Carrozzeria Vignale in Torino at the end of March. By June and July, the car was busy undergoing testing. And by September, it would be delivered to its first owner Giuseppe Viannini.
Viannini was an Alfa Romeo dealer in Milan and Buenos Aires. He would have the car entered in its first race, a hill climb, on the 11th of October. With Pietro Palmieri at the controls, the car would go on to win the event overall, not doubt using its 2.7-liter, 210 bhp, engine to great effect.
After its initial success the car would be exported to Argentina. Throughout the remainder of the 1952 season the car would be extensively raced in its new red and yellow livery. During that period the car would prove to be quite successful and would catch the eye of Buenos Aires resident Jose Maria Ibanez. Ibanez would come to purchase the car and would set about preparing for the 1953 Argentine Sports Car Championship.
The season would start out with a 3rd place finish in the Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires. Ibanez would follow that result up with a victory at the Autodromo Eva Peron at Mar del Plata. Another victory, bookended by a slew of 2nd place and 3rd place results would lead to Ibanez taking the Argentine Sports Car Championship for 1953.
The following year would see Ibanez expand his racing horizons. Not only would he take part in races in Argentina, but he would also race in Brazil as well. Unfortunately, 1954 would not be nearly as successful a campaign as the previous season. By that time, the Ferrari 375MM had come onto the scene. And, as a result, Ibanez would struggle to earn the race finishes he had enjoyed the season before. Over the course of the '54 season, the best result 0192ET would manage to earn would be a 6th place at the Premio Invierno. The last race Ibanez would take part in with 0192ET would come on the 19th of December in Buenos Aires. In that race Ibanez would just miss out on a top ten finish.
The car would fall out of view in 1955 but would reemerge in 1956 under the ownership of Juan Manuel Bordeu. Bordeu would race the car for a while before selling it to Luis Tula Molina. Molina's ownership would be brief but it would be long enough for him to refinish the car green topped off with a black hood.
In 1958, Luis Escoda would come to own the car. He would refinish the car back to red and would include white interior upholstery. Despite being some years old by then, the car would continue to be raced. It would take part in a race in October of 1958 driven by Rafael Sedano Acosta. After that, the car would be sold again.
Escoda would sell the car to a friend by the name of Alberto Luis Depego. Depego would enter the car in the 1960 1,000km of Buenos Aires. It was to be driven by himself and Luis Escobar but the car did not start the race. Six months later, the car would take part in its next race. Driven by Depego, the car would finish 6th overall at the Autodromo of Buenos Aires.
Although the car earned a 6th place result in a race back in June, it would suffer a number of problems afterward. Unfortunately, engine-related problems and other issues would force it not to start a couple of races. Then, Depego would sell the car to Domingo Di Santo of Cordoba. He too would try and enter the car in races but he would damage the engine during practice for one of the events. As a result, he would sell the car to Humberto Evangelista, another Argentinean.
Chassis 0192ET would continue to race all the way into the 1960s. Its final race would be in 1966. All during that period of time, the car would be owned and campaigned by Mr. Evangelista. Before its racing career would come to an end in 1966, the Ferrari 225 Sport Spyder would go on to finish 2nd one more time. That incredible result would come in 1963 at the Premio Ciudad de Chascomus.
After its last race in 1966, the car would be stored away in Venado Turto near Buenos Aires. It would remain in storage until 1980 when it would be acquired by Hector Mendizabal. When acquired by Mendizabal, the 225 would look a far cry from how it did when it left Carrozzeria Vignale. The car would have a yellow stripe running along the side of both sides of the car. It would also have some other kind of yellow decoration along the flanks. However, the most brazen piece of artwork attached to the clean Vignale design would be the words 'Ferrari V12'.
Mendizabal would acquire the car but would ship it back to Italy, where it would come into the hands of Giuseppe Bianchini. Perhaps utterly shocked by the sight, Biachini would immediately begin restorative efforts to the 225 Sport Spyder. This would begin in 1983. The body would be restored by Carrozzeria Casella of Torino. While with Carrozzeria Casella, the exterior would be refinished in a dark red. While that was going on, the mechanical restoration was in the hands of Gianni Torelli of Campagnolo-Reggio Emilia.
The entire work would take more than a couple of years. However, when it finally emerged in 1986 the car would find itself in just about as equally ambitious a vintage racing career as it had been when actively racing. Biachini would use the car to take part in the Mille Miglia some five times. He would also take part in the AvD-Oldtimer-Grand Prix. He would then sell the car in 1991.
In 1991, 0192ET would make its way to yet another new owner. This owner would successfully compete with the car before selling it to Olivier Cazalieres of Paris, France. In 1996, the car would undergo yet another mechanical restoration, this time performed by AG Racing of Nice, France. When completed, the car would return to take part in the Mille Miglia some 12 years after its first attempt back in 1986. It would also go on to take part in such races as the Ferrari Shell Historic Challenge, Coys International Historic Race Festival, the Tour Auto and the L'Age d'Or. In 1999, the car would be featured in an article in the French magazine Auto Passion. The car would even be put on display in a special Ferrari exhibit at Paris' Retromobile show.
Still, the Ferrari could be found at the track. And in 2000 the car would take part in the Ferrari Days at Spa-Francorchamps and the Hockenheimring and would also take part in the Historic Grand Prix of Monaco.
After purchasing the car in 1996, Cazalieres would put the car up for sale and in 2003 the car would be purchased to become an important part of a very important collection based in Brescia, Italy. Still, the car would compete. It would take part in the 2005 and 2007 Mille Miglias and would be a continue fixture through the new millennium, well over fifty years after the car originally had been built.
One of just 12, this rare beauty, finished in red with tan leather interior, is truly intoxicating. Complete with a successful racing heritage and a number of features throughout its lifetime, this is one of those early Ferrari sports-racers that is as comfortable on the race track as being featured in articles and in photographs. The middle child of the twelve, 0192ET would go on to be very successful and would certainly make a name for itself amongst a family of close relatives.
Heading to auction, the 1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Spyder 'Tuboscocca' by Vignale, chassis 0192ET, was expected to bring between 1,800,000 and 2,200,000 EUR.
'Lot No. 362: 1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Spyder 'Tuboscocca' by Carrozzeria Vignale', (http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=MC12&CarID=r384). RM Auctions. http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=MC12&CarID=r384. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
'1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Spyder Coachwork by Carrozzeria Vignale', (http://www.classicdriver.com/upload/dealers/kidston_SA/Ferrari_225S_Port_No_004.pdf). Kidston. http://www.classicdriver.com/upload/dealers/kidston_SA/Ferrari_225S_Port_No_004.pdf. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
'Ferrari 225 Inter Vignale Berlinetta', (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2617/Ferrari-225-Inter-Vignale-Berlinetta.html). Ultimatecarpage.com: Powered by Knowledge, Driven by Passion. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2617/Ferrari-225-Inter-Vignale-Berlinetta.html. Retrieved 10 May 2012.By Jeremy McMullen
Chassis Num: 0168ED
|Sold for $781,000 at 2009 RM Auctions.|
Sold for $880,000 at 2011 Gooding & Company.
Sold for $1,237,500 at 2013 RM Auctions.
The Ferrari 225S had 12 cylinders and displaced 2.7 liters. During this early era, all Ferraris' were coach-built by various Italian design houses (carrozzeria). Six examples of the 225S were given berlinetta bodies by Alfredo Vignale. Among the individual designers working at Vignale was the stylist Giovanni Michelotti, who would enjoy a brilliant career and is regarded as the father of the trademark ovoid 'egg crate'-type Ferrari grille.
Chassis number 0168ED was one of the six competition berlinettas built and fitted with the ovid egg crate grille, and the triple oval, chrome-ringed 'portholes' on the front fenders.
The car had a short, yet impressive competition history. Its history is fully documented, including its most recent keeper, who has owned the car for nearly 38 years.
After a brief ownership by a Roman owner from July 25, 1952, it was re-attained by thee factory in November of that year and quickly sold to Luigi Chinetti Motors in New York. Chinetti sold the car to brothers Peter S. and Robert Yung of New York. While in their care, the car was raced at the second annual 12 Hours of Sebring in March 1953, remarkably finishing in 8th position overall, taking a 2nd in their class. In May of that year, the car placed 4th overall at Bridgehampton.
The next owner was Santiago Gonzales of Cuba, who also raced the car. It placed First in the Cuban Grand Prix Sport, held in Havana in October of 1955.
The car was sold to American Robert Andinolf of Los Angeles in 1957. Jerry Curion purchased the car in the 1960s and then acquired by Donald R. Wasserman in 1971.
By this point in history, 0168ED had been fitted with a Corvette V8 and was in need of a comprehensive restoration. In 1974, Wasserman embarked on a full restoration, which took five years to complete. During this process, an early Ferrari 250GT engine was acquired. The Ferrari gearbox and differential are original type and specification. The original 0168ED engine is installed in a 166MM Spider Scaglietti.
When the restoration work was complete, the 225S achieved a First in Class award at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1979. It was later campaigned in vintage racing events on several occasions in the 1980s, including the Monterey Historics in 1980 and 1984, and the Mexican road race 'La Carrera Classic' (ensenada - San Felipe) in 1986.
The car is titled as a 1953 model.
In 2009, after the cars long term owner had passed away, this very rare car was offered for sale by RM Auctions at their Sports & Classics of Monterey sale in Monterey, California. The car was estimated to sell for $600,000-$800,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $781,000 including buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2010
Chassis Num: 0160ED
Engine Num: 0160ED
|Sold for $995,500 at 2004 RM Auctions.|
It was auctioned at the 2006 Christies auction held in Monterey California at the Jet Center. It was expected to fetch between $1200000-$1500000. At the conclusion of the sale chassis number 0160ED with matching engine number had found a new owner for $1280000.
This vehicle was created on January 10th, 1952 with a Tipo 340 Tubosocca chassis rear axle. It had a massive forty-gallon fuel tank and a newly introduced limited slip design with a 4.66:1 final drive. In a time-span that lasted lest than a month, the Factory had finished the chassis. The engine was later assembled by Leopardi and Storchi under the watchful eye of Franchini. Beltrami assembled the Tipo 212 Export gearbox.
By March 2nd, Vignale had completed the body. On March 9th the true potential of the vehicle was experienced by the factory test driver as the vehicle was taken to its limits on a road test. After the performance it was entered by the factory in the XII Tour of Sicily, driven by Piero Taruffi along with co-driver Mario Vandelli. It was given the number 443 which it continues to wear in modern time. The vehicle was the fastest in the field but a blown head gasket resulted in a DNF.
It was sold to Count Bruno Sterzi of Milan who raced the vehicle in the XIV Aosta-Gran San Bernardo Hillclimb. At the Gran Premio di Bari it was given the number 78. It was sold at the close of 1952 to Mrs. Piano of Buenos Aires who quickly sold it to Roberto Bonomi. It was repainted in a light blue color and entered in the Gran Premio Ciudad de Buenos Aires. With Bonomi at the wheel, the vehicle captured an impressive first place finish. This began many podium finishes for Bonomi in the 225 Sport. In 1953 it finished 3rd overall at Premio Verano at Mar del Plata. A fourth placed finished was scored at the Grand Prix Governardor Carlos Evans at Mendoza at the hands of Adolfo Schwelm Cruz.
In 1954 the color was changed back to red. It was entered in the Mil Kilometros driven this time by Alcaro Piano, Miguel Schroder and Carlos Alcorta finishing 18th. Its history from this point until 1971 is unknown. It was sold to Lucio M. Bollaert of Buenos Aires where it was given a blue paint job. In 1982 Australian Kerry Manolas became the next owner. The vehicle underwent a complete restoration and it regained its red paint color.
It was shown at the 1984 Ferrari Concours in Carmel and then the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Anthony Wang of New York became the next owner who owned the vehicle until 1989. Len Immke of Columbus, Ohio became the next owner. In 1995 it was traded to Chris Cox of North Carolina who had it shown at the Cavallino Classic.
From there, the car continued to trade hands. Under the ownership of John Sullivan of Palm Beach, Florida, the car was treated to a restoration by Motion Products of Neenah, Wisconsin. It was given its burgundy color with tan interior and the original Scuderia Ferrari number of 443. At the 1997 Cavallino Classic it was awarded the Judges Cup. It was purchased in 2001 by Michael Yedor of Bel Air, CA who later sold it to its next owner. Its next adventure was at the 2006 Christies Auction where its long history continued with the addition of a new owner.
Its beauty is undeniable and its legacy is profound. The $1,280,000 was an excellent price for this early Ferrari. It is the most complete, correct and original 225 Sport Spyder Ferrari in existence.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
|Sports and Racing Rarities Lead Early Highlights For RM's Two-Day Arizona Sale|
|• RM Auctions returns to the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix from January 16–17 to kick off its 2014 collector car season • Expanded to two days in 2014, the well-established sale will celebrate its 15th year by lifting the gavel on approximately 120 handpicked motor cars • Early highlights span the spectrum of the market, led by a superb trio of sports and racing Porsches • Annual sale kicks off RM's 2014 international auction calendar, which includes the company's highly anticipate...[Read more...]|
|63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Names 1934 Packard 'Best of Show'|
|The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best of Show at the 63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, held Sunday on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links at Pebble Beach Resorts. The event showcased 248 cars from 36 states and 12 countries and raised $1,277,007 for charity. 'This Pack...[Read more...]|
|Historic Jaguar D-Type Leads Growing List of Significant Entries for RM's Monterey Sale|
|• RM Auctions building towards a spectacular roster of cars for its flagship Monterey sale held during the famous Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance motoring week, August 16–17, in California • Historic 1955 Jaguar D-Type leads a superb roster of the world's finest sports and racing cars poised for the RM podium • Additional star lots include a 1955 Ferrari 750 Monza Scaglietti Spider, a 1950 Ferrari 166 Touring Barchetta, a 1961 Ferrari 400 Superamerica SWB Coupe Aerodinamico and a 1953 Masera...[Read more...]|
|Six Decades Of Ferrari At Mecum's Daytime Auction|
|1954 Ferrari 750 Monza Headlines Select Offering of Italian Illuminati Mecum Auctions will present its 4th annual Monterey Daytime Auction, Aug. 16-18, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf course, featuring some of finest machines Ferrari has ever produced headlined by a 1954 750 Monza Spyder Scaglietti. By turns part of the Engelbert Stieger, Brando Wang, Walter Burani and Roberto Crippa collections, 1954 Ferrari 750 Monza Spyder Scaglietti S/N 0462MD...[Read more...]|
|Gooding & Company Announces the distinguished Sherman M. Wolf Ferrari Collection for its Pebble Beach Auctions|
|Gooding & Company, the acclaimed auction house celebrated for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, is proud to announce that it will present the extraordinary Ferrari collection of Sherman M. Wolf at its Pebble Beach Auctions on August 18 & 19. The renowned Sherman M. Wolf Collection is comprised of a rare, alloy-bodied 1960 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider Competizione, a 1953 Ferrari 340 MM Spider, a 1957 Ferrari 500 TRC and a 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO, four excep...[Read more...]|
|1952 Ferrari models|
|Ferrari 166 F2|
|Ferrari 212 Export|
|Ferrari 212 Inter|
|Ferrari 212 Speciale|
|Ferrari 212/225 Inter|
|Ferrari 225 Inter|
|Ferrari 250 S|
|Ferrari 340 America|
|Ferrari 340 Mexico|
|Ferrari 342 America|
|Ferrari 500 F2|
|1952 Ferrari 225 Inter|
|Other models by Ferrari|
© 1998-2014. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.