Total 75 Series production for 1940 was 956 examples - it was about half of what it had been the year previous. For 1940, Cadillac produced 155 of this body style (7519).
Fleetwood was Cadillac's in-house coachbuilder, although very little custom building was taking place by 1940. All 1940 V-8 models featured new grille styling. 1940 was the last year Cadillac offered side-mounted spare tires.
The Cadillac 75 series was powered by Cadillac's legendary V-8 powerplant that developed 135 horsepower from its 346 cubic-inches. Wheelbase is 141 inches.
It is believed the current owner of this car is the third owner. The car has been maintained over the years, rather than restored.
Sold for $110,000 at 2007 RM Auctions. This 1940 Cadillac Series 40-75 V8 Fleetwood Town Car was auctioned at the 2006 Christies auction where it was expected to fetch between $80,000-$120,000. At the conclusion of bidding, it had found a new owner at the price of $91,650. It is equipped with a three-speed selective synchronized transmission and four wheel hydraulic drums. This 1940 Cadillac's continued the 'projectile' or 'torpedo' body-styling introduced in the prior year. The grilles were some of the most distinguishable differences over the prior year as they were slightly revised and included fewer bars. Louver bars could now be found on the side panels of the hood.
To provide more balanced fuel supply and to cancel its rearward title the inlet manifold was set at a five degree angle. The V8 engines could be found powering the five different wheelbase lengths that Cadillac was offering. On the lower end was the 127 inch wheelbase Sixty Special sedans. The top of the line offering for the eight-cylinder engine was the 40-75 Town Car which rested atop a 141 inch wheelbase. There is believed to have been only fourteen examples created of the town car by Cadillac in 1940. Their high price tag of $5115 was a big deterrent for many buyers but the Fleetwood bodies were undeniably elegant and stately.
This example is equipped with the optional twin side-mounts which were discontinued after 1940. Its first owner was a wealthy woman who's family owned a coal company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle she sold it to a pharmacy for use as a delivery vehicle. The owner then had the vehicle stored away in a garage and kept it. After he passed away it was discovered and purchased from the estate in 1987 by Harris Laskey. A full, frame-off restoration was undertaken and done to precise precision and careful attention to detail. The job was meticulous.
It has been shown at numerous concourses. Among its winnings are the 'Most Elegant' at the Santa Barbara concours d'Elegance. At Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance it was awarded a Second Place in its Class. A Premier Senior Winner and a National First Prize Winner CCCA Award badge are permanently affixed and are a testimony to the fine restoration. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007
This 1940 Cadillac Convertible Coupe, Series 75, was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held at Meadow Brook. This car is powered by a L-head V8 engine that is mounted at a ninety-degree angle and has a displacement size of 346 cubic-inches. The engine produces 135 mph which is sent to the rear wheels through a three-speed manual gearbox. There are hydraulic drum brakes on all four-wheels. It has an older frame-off restoration done to the highest of standards. It has won many awards including a Cadillac LaSalle National Meet First Place, a CCCA National First Place, and is a Meadow Brook Class Winner. It is finished in Navy Blue with a tan top. There are fender-mounted spares, whitewall tires, and chrome wheel discs. The interior is blue leather and compliments the exterior rather nicely.
There were a total of 1,525 Series 75 Cadillac models delivered in 1940 with only 30 being the Convertible Coupe. Only a few have survived in modern times.
At auction this car was estimated to sell between $100,000 - $150,000 and was offered without reserve. This estimate appeared to be very accurate and the bidders seemed to agree, as the winning bid settled at $110,000. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007
This beautiful automobile was purchased as a Christmas present by Mr. Lamott duPont Copeland for his wife Pamela in 1939. This was very appropriate being that the duPont family were the largest stockholders in General Motors, at the time. Mr. Copeland also served as both President and later Chairman of the Dupont Company of Delaware.
This unusual car is Style #7553 from the 75 Series of pre-war Cadillacs, and it is a seven passenger Town Car, with an exposed cockpit for the chauffeur. This blue car with matching blue interior is one of only 14 built, with a list price of $5115 back in 1940. The Series 75 cars had a 114-inch wheelbase and were available in a variety of luxurious configurations, from two-door coupes to sedans and limousines, including convertible versions of many of these. Each style was produced in very small numbers. An additional three bare-chassis Series 75s and 52 so-called 'commercial' chassis, with 161-inch wheelbase, were delivered to independent coachbuilders.
This 1940 Cadillac 75 Series Town Car is fitted with custom coachwork by Inskip. This car was built for the legendary singer and band leader Vaughn Monroe as the Racing with the Moon car. The story is told that his mistress was the actual person to have had the car built and designed for the singer and gave it to him as a present. The current owners father, bought this car from Harry King in the early 1970s and it has been part of the family collection ever since.
Sold for $66,000 at 2011 Gooding & Company. It is believed that just 12 examples of the five-passenger Fleetwood coupe model 7557-B were built in 1940. This was 11 fewer examples than in the prior year. This model included a rear bench seat, built in fewer numbers, and commanded a slightly higher price.
In 2002, the restoration work on the car was completed. In 2006, it received a complete engine rebuild. Currently, it is finished in black and outfitted with chrome trim. It is upholstered in grey broadcloth and the dashboard is of wood grain with art-delco instrumentation. The engine is an L-head V8 fitted with Stromberg Dual-Downdraft carburetors and develops 140 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale, Az. It was estimated to sell for $70,000 - $90,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $18,700 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2015
The 1940 production line saw Cadillac continue their 'projectile' or 'torpedo' body-styling of the previous year, but on the V8s the grill was slightly revised wîth fewer bars of bolder, more substantial design and the introduction of a pair of louver bars on the side panels of the hood. By now sealed beam headlights were standard as were turn indicators, running boards were offered as no cost options, and the engine inlet manifold was set at a five degree angle to cancel its rearward tilt and give more balanced fuel supply. As ever, Cadillac offered a host of V8 models on five different wheelbase lengths, ranging from the 127 inch Sixty Special sedan to the 141 inch Series 40-75 town car. It is believed that Cadillac built just fourteen town cars to this Fleetwood style designation #7553 in 1940. They were by far the most expensive eight cylinder model offered, priced at $5,115, and so may be considered the top of the range. This example is very much the definitive pre-war V8 Cadillac wîth available options including twin side-mounts, which would be discontinued after that season. As the story is told, this Cadillac once belonged to a wealthy woman whose family owned a coal company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. During the early 1940s, she sold the car to a pharmacy for their use as a delivery vehicle. The young deliveryman, who at the time was attending medical school, purchased this Cadillac as a graduation present to himself. He kept it garaged throughout his ownership and many years later after he passed away, the car was discovered and ultimately purchased from the estate in 1987 by well-known Los Angeles collector Harris Laskey. Shortly after acquiring the car, Mr. Laskey decided to undertake a full, frame-off restoration which was carried out wîth meticulous detail; work only began after tireless searches for each and every item, such as the correct running board end pieces, the special Fleetwood etched side mounted rear-view mirrors, even including the careful choice of special-blended blue paintwork and the dyed grained leather for the driver's section top and rear covering. The interior, both front and rear compartments are beautifully appointed. On the front split seating is deep blue leather wîth matching deep blue carpet. The dash is beautifully wood grained wîth various unique features, including a radio and a clock placed in front of the passenger seat. The Bakelite §teering wheel and gearshift knob, the black ebony insert in the door handles add to the fine details that took place during the restoration. The rear interior, the twin occasional seats and footrests are sumptuously trimmed in blue-gray cloth wîth a matching headliner. The carpet was specially matched too. The Cadillac has a host of fittings, such as side heaters, a central Fleetwood clock, and to each side of the passengers are pop-out companions in period Art Deco style wîth green topped cigarette lighters. There is also a working intercom to instruct the driver. For privacy, blinds are fitted to each rear window. Wood veneer trims complete the presentation. With no expense spared, the results are simply stunning, as the vehicle was restored to the concours order it presents today, a true example of luxury. Harris Laskey showed the Cadillac at numerous concours events, winning the 'Most Elegant' at the Santa Barbara Concours d'Elegance and at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, where it won a Second Place in its Class. A Premier Senior Winner and a National First Prize Winner CCCA Award badge are permanently affixed and are a testimony to the fine restoration. When acquired by Laskey, the odometer registered 32,000 miles and it has covered only a limited mileage under the current ownership (the vendor purchased the car from Christie's in 2004 and has recently changed direction wîth his collection.)Source - Christies
Cadillac in 1940, released only three of the 75 Series 75 town car chassis produced to outside coachbuilders. Two went to Derham, the first of which was this town landau limousine, custom built for Mrs. Jesse Woolworth Donahue; the second was built for Mrs. Florence Parker Lambert Busch, wife of Budweiser heir Adolphus Busch III; and the third 1940 Cadillac Series 75 chassis went to Brunn and was ordered by E.J. Julas, president of Otis Steel Company and former general sales manager of the Peerless Motor Car Company. Over the years, this automobile had several owners, including the wife of a movie producer, a museum in Illinois, and then was sold to several private owners. The latest owner was Dr. Wayne Hey, who lives in Texas. Through the efforts of John Mueller, a member of the Board of Directors, Dr. Hey donated the car to the Swigart Museum. It arrived from Texas in January 2011.
The Derham Body Co., which operated from 1887-1971, was located in Rosemont, a suburb of Philadelphia, with additional facilities in Philadelphia. After World War I, Derham built custom bodies for many auto makers, including Pierce-Arrow, Packard, Chrysler, etc. Derham also built nearly 40 bodies for Duesenberg's Model J and SJ chassis. Specialties of the Derham body are the collapsible landaulet, with a fixed center second; one-pierce windshield; a collapsible rear roof; and a removable cover over the open chauffer's compartment.
Power is from a Cadillac flathead V8, L-head engine which develops 140 horsepower at 3400 RPM. It has a curb weight of approximately 5200 pounds and rides on 7.5 x 16 tires. The fuel tank capacity is 26.5 gallons. The base price of a 1940 Cadillac Series 75 Town Car was $5,115. A Derham body cost an estimated $15,000 to $20,000.
Sold for $99,000 at 2013 RM Auctions. 1940 was a turning point for Cadillac as it was the final year of true pre-war design, albeit strongly influenced by Bill Mitchell's Series 60 Special of 1938. This was also the final year for the Cadillac V-16, which shared its Fleetwood bodies with the top-of-the-line eight-cylinder series, the 75. When the V-16 production came to an end, so did the need for such an extensive list of bodies. Thus, 1940 was also the final year the Series 75 Limousine chassis was available with two doors and open coachwork.
The Series 75s for 1940 were advertised as Cadillac-Fleetwoods. They had a large, new die-cast grille and front and rear bumpers lettered with 'Cadillac' in a modern script. Turn signals were incorporated into the running lights. Running boards were optional equipment.
This example is a Convertible Coupe and is one of only 30 similar examples built in 1940. It wears an older, high-point, frame-off restoration. It has been rarely driven since the work was completed and has been trailered to concours events. It has won several awards including First Place at a Cadillac-LaSalle National Meet, a CCCA National First Place, and a class award at Meadow Brook. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2013
Sold for $115,500 at 2015 Barrett-Jackson. In December of 1939, Elroy J. Kulas placed an order for the last custom-built Brunn Town Car. It was given a special cowl and all-aluminum bodywork. The handmade cowl incorporated a steeply raked windshield combined with the elimination of vent windows, front and rear, plus center-hinged suicide doors. The hood and fenders are the only body sheet metal from Cadillac. There is a raised molding that traverses the length of the vehicle, painted a bright yellow. The external door handles flow close to the body. The front and rear doors share two precisely machined hinges that required only a gentle touch to latch the door.
The driver's compartment is all black and original leather. The rear compartment is finished in a soft fawn color with silver inlaid, ebony wood trim, and the hardware is satin pewter. There is accommodations for five individuals, with three in the back and two in the jump seats that pull out from the bulk head. There is a socket in the floor to house an umbrella and the clock is still working. Small 'Brunn' emblems adorn the hinged door pocket covers. There is a half round bead encircling the entire passenger compartment accented by a thin yellow pin stripe that compliments the big body side slash.
The wheelbase measures 141-inches and the new-for-1938 Series 75 chassis is powered by a 346 cubic-inch L-head V8 engine.
This car has documented ownership and has won many awards during its lifetime. The list includes being judged 100 points at the 1990 CCCA Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, it participated in 2005 the Pebble Beach Concours inaugural 1600 mile Tour d'Elegance from Seattle to Monterey, and was the 2008 People's Choice Award at the CCCA Grand Experience at Hickory Corners, Michigan. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2015
Sold for $71,500 at 2016 Bonhams. The early history of this Cadillac is not known. It is believed to have been once part of a large US-based collection. It is also thought to be one of the very few Convertible Coupes produced for model year 1940. Believed to have been restored in the 1990s, it is finished in Oxblood Maroon over a tan leather interior. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2016
The Cadillac Series 75 was the marque's flagship V8 from 1936 onwards, though the lower priced series easily outsold it. Production of the full-size V8 powered Cadillac's would continue from the 1930s through the 1950s. It served as a replacement for the outgoing 355-D and was introduced around the same time as the less-expensive Series 60 model. Outwardly, the Series 80, including the 85, were similar in appearance with the main difference being underhood. The Series 80/85 featured a V12 engine while the Series 70/75 had a V8. The V8 produced 135 horsepower while the V12's output was 150 hp.
In 1941, the short wheelbase Series 70 was replaced by the Series 62 and the long wheelbase Series 75 was integrated into the Fleetwood line. Cadillac would continue the '75' name until the mid 1960s.
The V8 Series 70 of the mid 1930s were powered by a Monoblock V8 engine that displaced 346 cubic-inches and produced 135 horsepower. A total of 5,248 examples were sold in 1936. There were three body-styles available for the Series 70 from 1936 through 1937 consisting of a 131-inch wheelbase for the 36-70, a 138-inch version of the 36-75 and a large 156-inch platform for the 36-75 Commercial version.
There were a wide variety of body-styles to select from and all wore badges of Cadillac's in-house coachbuilder Fleetwood. The list ranged from two-passenger coupes to seven-passenger town cars with 14 cataloged styles offered.
The Fleetwood Metal Body Company had a history that dated back to 1905 when they were formed in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania. During their early years, some of their best customers were Packard, Pierce-Arrow and Cadillac. Lawrence Fisher, head of GM's Fisher Body Company and later president of Cadillac was pleased with Fleetwood's coach-building work and felt the union between the two companies was appropriate. The company was purchased by Cadillac in 1925 and the sales and design offices were moved to Detroit. Additional plants were built in Pennsylvania for body production and Fleetwood continued to accept body-requests from non-GM companies.
A Fleetwood plant was built in 1929 in Detroit, adjacent to the Fisher Body facility, and by 1931 all production had migrated to this location. Later, the production was absorbed by General Motors Art & Colour and Fisher Body. The Fleetwood name persisted for many decades, often referring to limited and low-production styles.
In 1939 the Cadillac V8 models were given a new frontal look with a matching textured grille. On either side were two side grilles. The engine still displaced 346 cubic-inches but further tuning had increased the horsepower output and its compression.
The Series 72 was a Fleetwood car that rode on a shorter, 138-inch wheelbase.
Production ceased during the Second World War and resumed in 1946. When it did, the Series 75 became Cadillac's largest model offered; now riding on a 136-inch wheelbase. The 346 L-head V8 engine was the same as was most of its basic styling. Just like most other automakers, a 'new' model would not be introduced for several years.
For the Series 75, this did not occur until 1950. It had a 146.7 inch wheelbase with seating for seven. Engine options included a 346- and 365-cubic-inch V8.
The wheelbase size was again increased by 1954, now measuring 149.8 inches. To carry the extra weight Cadillac increased the horsepower to 230. The following year it rose again to 250 hp, with an optional dual-four barrel carburetor version offered that produced 270 horsepower. 1956 saw another increase in horsepower, now ranging from 285 to just over 300.
Another restyling occurred in 1957 and would remain until 1965. By now, the name '75' had all but disappeared. Horsepower hovered around the 300 to 325 range depending on the engine and the setup. The long version of the Fleetwood became known as the Series 6700 in accordance with the new Cadillac naming scheme. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008