Sold for $3,355,000 at 2011 Gooding & Company. Ferrari began to build its 250 model in 1953. The car would be in production for a number of years and would emerge in a number of different guises. Over the course of the eleven year production run the different evolutions of the 250 would become the best-selling line for Ferrari in its early years of sports car manufacturing.
It would all begin with the 225S. These would serve as the prototype but would be quickly dispensed with by the larger 250. The 250S models would be entered in the Mille Miglia in 1952. And although the cars were slower in top end speed, their handling and stability in the curves would more than make up the difference and would lead to a victory for Giovanni Bracco and Alfonso Rolfo.
Enzo Ferrari was keen to capitalize on the success and would end up producing the 250MM and a number of other racing models. All of the success on the track would end up spilling over to the company's Grand Touring models.
As with the racing series of 250s, there would be a number of evolutions of the 250 GTs as well. Such evolutions included the 250 Europa GT, the 250 GT Berlinetta and the 250 GT Cabriolet Pinin Farina. But then, in 1957, Ferrari would introduce its latest evolution meant for export to America. It would be called the 250 GT California Spider.
There would be only 50 long-wheelbase California Spiders built. One of those would be presented for auction at the Gooding and Company Pebble Beach auctions in August of 2011.
The one presented at auction would be chassis 1215 GT and it would be constructed by Ferrari in February of 1959. Included in the design was a 3.0-liter Tipo 128 V-12 engine. The engine would be capable of producing 240 bhp with the help of three Weber DCL3 carburetors that also included velocity stacks. The chassis was the 508D and it featured improvements over the previous iterations of the 250.
While Ferrari was building the chassis for the car, Scaglietti was hard at work creating its truly magnificent, and yet, simple bodywork. The body and the chassis would be united and the car would be finished in March of 1959.
At the time of completion the car would be delivered with a dark blue finish and red leather interior to a real estate firm based in Rome. Rumors would abound as to who the actual owner of the car was. Many ideas and rumors were suggested. One of the more colorful suggested the car was actually for the Grimaldi family of Monaco.
By the late 1960s, the car had become the property of Garage Mario and Gastone Crepaldi Automobili S.a.s. This was an official Ferrari concessionaire in Milan. Finally, after almost ten years, the car meant for export to the United States would actually end up heading there. Fittingly, the car would be shipped to California.
Charles Betz would end up becoming the owner of the car. By the time Betz had taken delivery of the car the drum brakes had been replaced with the new disc brakes (which was not uncommon for the time). However, the car would still arrive in the finish it had left the factory.
Over the period of about ten years the car would change hands numerous times mostly amongst collectors and individuals around the Kentucky and Ohio areas. The car would even spend a spell in Georgia and Toronto, Canada. During its stay in Canada, the car would undergo restoration work and would reunite the original engine with the car that had been replaced at the time Betz had taken receivership of the car.
The car would again be sold a number of times and would end up in the hands of Lee Herrington of New Hampshire. The 250 GT California Spider would end up taking residence with a number of other Ferrari's from Herrington's fine collection. Under Herrington's ownership the car would be refinished to its current state of Fly Yellow complete with black leather interior.
Herrington would end up selling the car in 2008 to its current owner. Immediately the car was sent to Bob Smith for servicing and preparation.
Ferrari's usual mixture of performance and luxury, it is easy to understand why the 250 series became Ferrari's best-selling series of automobile from the late 1950s and through the most part of the 1960s. The elegance combined with the performance provides the street-goer with a truly incredible performance. The lovely lines, the spider design and raw performance; the 250 GT California Spider elegantly captured California's lifestyle and reputation. Chassis number 1215 GT, with its matching engine number and restoration work would end up catching a price of $3,335,000 at the auction in August.
Sources: 'Lot No. 13: 1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider', (http://www.goodingco.com/car/1959-ferrari-250-gt-lwb-california-spider-1). Gooding & Company. http://www.goodingco.com/car/1959-ferrari-250-gt-lwb-california-spider-1. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
Wikipedia contributors, 'Ferrari 250', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 23 August 2011, 11:08 UTC, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ferrari_250&oldid=446300282 accessed 23 August 2011 By Jeremy McMullen
Sold for $3,905,000 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The 1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider with chassis number 1505 GT is the 36th of 50 built. It is a refined automobile that has a sophisticated chassis and engine. It has the improved 508 d chassis, a more developed version of the original 250 [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012
Sold for $3,630,000 at 2008 Gooding & Company. This is an Ex-Scuderia Ferrari Factory car delivered to Wolfgang Seidel, Scuderia Ferrari's team driver. Fitted with a competition engine with a high 9.3:1 compression ratio, 'Abarth competition' exhaust system and 'Nardi Competition' steering, Siege [Read More...]
Ferrari's first cars were open cars mostly used for sports racing. These were followed by single seaters for Formula events. The convertible bodied car theme would continue in the Ferrari arsenal at the GT level for years to come. [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008
High bid of $1,975,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. (did not sell) Sold for $3,594,578 (€2,520,000) at 2011 RM Auctions. Sold for $8,500,000 at 2015 RM Auctions. The prototype for the 250 GT Spyder California was created by Pinin Farina, but the series was built by Carrozzeria Scaglietti. This car (serial number 1307 GT), one of the rare long wheelbase Spyder California's with open headlights, was sold new i [Read More...]
Sold for $7,260,000 at 2010 Gooding & Company. Sold for $18,150,000 at 2016 Gooding & Company. The Ferrari California Spider was designed and marketed as a multi-purpose sports car capable of racing and equally suitable for grand touring. With a lightweight aluminum body and tuned engine, it could function as a serious racing car. In this guis [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2016
Overview Ordered new and driven from the factory to LeMans by Bob Grossman, 451 GT placed 5th overall and first in class at LeMans in 1959 with co-driver Fernand Travano. Mr. Grossman continued to campaign the car in 1959 and 1960 with grea [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012
Sold for $7,700,000 at 2015 Gooding & Company. Chassis number 1425 GT was sold to its first owner, Mrs. Livia Mustica of Naples, on July 30, 1959. It remained in her care for nearly a decade until July 1968 when it was sold to its second owner, Guido Palermo, also of Naples. In late 1968 or early [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2015
This 250 GT Spyder California is one of just nine alloy bodied LWB Competizione Spyders built for privateer race teams and has the best competition history of them all. Ordered by Bob Grossman, the car was driven to Le Mans in June of 1959 where Gros [Read More...]
High bid of $1,975,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. (did not sell) Sold for $3,594,578 (€2,520,000) at 2011 RM Auctions. Sold for $8,500,000 at 2015 RM Auctions. Unique in many facets, 1307GT remains perhaps the most eclectic and highly-desirable example of the already illustrious Ferrari 250GT California models. Nose to tail, there are many details that set this example apart, and therefore, perhaps the most [Read More...]By Jeremy McMullen
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.
Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.
Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.
The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).
The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.
The first 250 introduced was the 250S and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.
At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.
In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.
At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.
From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France' (TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.
Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.
There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.
In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.
The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.
Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.
For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.
For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.
For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.
The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007